perch roe/ eggs

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
terry329
Angler

perch roe/ eggs

Post by terry329 » Sat May 16, 2009 7:24 pm

Does anyone have any idea what to do with perch eggs? While fishing today we caught 2 very large egg laden yellow perch and was wondering if anyone has done anything with the eggs. Food wise, bait wise, whatever... just can't see tossing them but don't know anything about them. Thanx.

wolverine
Captain

RE:perch roe/ eggs

Post by wolverine » Sat May 16, 2009 11:12 pm

When I lived in Michigan we used to eat them in late winter and thru the spring.

Split them length wise, soak briefly in salted water to get the blood out, dry thoroughly, roll if flour, shake off excess, dip in beaten egg, roll in bread crumbs or cracker crumbs, fry in a mix of butter and canola oil. Make sure to use a splatter screen over the pan as some of the eggs will break open and the steam will hit the oil and cause splatters. I also prepare shad eggs the same way. Good eats....
Life's short - fish hard!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Sun May 17, 2009 8:04 am

Breaded and fried is the ticket I think.My dads family ate roe .Shad roe fried is excellent.The only problem with Perch are ,What lake did you catch it out of? Check regulation book on the clarity of the water.Some lakes have warnings.If not eating use in your crayfish trap for bait if legal.

Michigan?One of the states w/ Pickled Bologna.Thats real fishing food.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 17, 2009 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Sun May 17, 2009 8:20 am

Rac,

Don't forget the pickled eggs! Pickled bologna, pickled eggs, and beer. A combination once consumed guaranteed to increase air pollution and being sent to the dog house by the wife.
Life's short - fish hard!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Sun May 17, 2009 2:36 pm

We fished the Shipwreck area alot .One time we ate Gherkins,Pickled eggs and Bologna.By the time we got in I was sweating like a pig.For two days I was hurting.Now because of those days I am doing Weight Watchers and taking care of myself.Red Hot Mamas were anther real treat.Id eat 2 of those with a half loaf of Wonder Bread.LOL

Terry let me know what you do with them.Im curious.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 17, 2009 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

eustace
Lieutenant

Post by eustace » Mon May 18, 2009 7:21 pm

LOL, My Greatgrandmother used to fry Perch eggs up just like Wolverine suggested. When I was a kidd I loved them but for somereason I can not seem to get them like she did. But this brings up great memories. O Yeah these Perch eggs came from Lake Spokane back in the 70s probly not the healthiest food maybe thats what wrong with me. NO, my Greatgrandmother lived to be 96 and eat the fish from that lake most of her life, even the salmon that used to run the river Once Upon A Time.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 18, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well its not called Catching!

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Wed May 20, 2009 1:30 pm

racfish wrote: Michigan?One of the states w/ Pickled Bologna.Thats real fishing food.
When I was in my teens my dad and I would go up to Alpena and fish for a week on the Thunder Bay River. I always looked forward to that fishing trip, but I couldn't wait to eat the Pickled Bologna! Man, there is nothing like it!!!!:cheers:
http://www.WatkinsBassfishing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sponsor WashingtonLakes.com

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Thu May 21, 2009 7:05 pm

i just halled in some nice perch today from myron lake. not one had any eggs#-o ,i cook the eggsack whole with the same stuff mentioned. good stuff!!! nobody else will eat it though so i stuff myself when i have them.

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”