Good place to take kids fishing in Spokane?

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Kyle3233
Angler

Good place to take kids fishing in Spokane?

Post by Kyle3233 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:39 pm

I bought my first boat a few months ago. I'm real excited to take my 3 kids out fishing on the boat. I haven't fished alot of lakes in the Spokane area, but I would like to find one that is easy to take my kids out to and hopefully catch some fish pretty easy. Thanks in advance......
"Take your kids fishing, they are the next generation of fishermen/women and you will make wonderful childhood memories"

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

RE:Good place to take kids fishing in Spokane?

Post by Aaron » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:43 pm

My two standby lakes for taking the kids to are Williams and Badger. Williams never dissapoints, and Badger is not bad either if you have a boat. At Williams, but best thing I've found is to just fish with them from the dock at Klinks. Pay $3, sit on a bench, catch fish, get them a hot chocolate form the restaraunt if they get cold, have a good time. Read any of my Williams reports to get an idea of what it's like.

As for Badger, in a boat, heading straight across the lake to the cliffs and head southwest just a bit is almost always good bet for stockers. Again, read some of my reports for that lake.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

Smar969905
Petty Officer

Post by Smar969905 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:09 pm

Jump Off Joe Lake if you are up on the north end near mead is an easy access and small lake. dont fish it deep or you will catch the plants and lose a lure or 2.

i was there with my dad and grandpa and pulled one out last august or so.
Image Image
If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape, then it isn't broken

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:29 pm

Kyle, it would help to let us know what time of year you are going. For example, if you want opening day, the Aaron is dead on. You will need to get to Williams very early on opening day if you want to get a spot for the kids, but it will normally get you lots of fish for the kids.

If you are talking a little later on, perhaps mid may, then taking kids to Elokia and fishing for perch can keep the action hot and fast. You may want to leave your rod at home so you have time to remove the fish from their lines.:-" Jerry's landing can set up up in the latest locations then.

Clear and Medical Lake can be hot from a boat, but I would go with Williams or Badger first myself.

Sprague would be a great option as well. It is open year around, but right now if you don't get too far from shore in case the wind picks up, you could almost move upwind, drop baited rods over the edge about 8 or 9 feet, then drift with the wind to cover water. You can almost be assured to catch some nice trout that they won't soon forget.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

BassCaster
Petty Officer

Post by BassCaster » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:39 pm

I used to take my six kids to Fishtrap, the trout are dinks but they almost jump in the boat, plenty of cats too. They have a few nice grassy camp sites and some room to run, along with some dock space to fish on. I have not been there in awhile, the kids are all grown up and there are no Bass or Wallies, thats about all i fish for any more.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:25 am

Do you care what species you are catching?

Lake Spokane produces catchable fish reliably all year long. Having trouble hooking up target species? Go troll for squaws for the kids. Decent size, good fighters in spring and fall, and they need to be thinned, so do away with them!

E

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:01 pm

While Gisteppo may sound like he hates "Northern Pike Minnows", he really just enjoys feeding the Osprey and Crawfish.:-"

He does have a point.#-o

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:54 pm

No better show around in the spring than eagles and osprey grabbing your bycatch within 50 feet of the boat.

E

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:05 pm

Gisteppo wrote:No better show around in the spring than eagles and osprey grabbing your bycatch within 50 feet of the boat.

E
Hey Gisteppo, has the lake started to clear up any?

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:29 pm

Clearer? Yes.

18,000 CFS coming down the river though, so lots and lots of current making it a challenge to find fish.

E

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:09 am

Gisteppo wrote:Clearer? Yes.

18,000 CFS coming down the river though, so lots and lots of current making it a challenge to find fish.

E
OK, sounds like Hangman Creek must be slowing down, but the run off from Coeur D' Alene must be kicking in. Good luck out there, I'm sure it will perk up soon.

Still, I'll bet the Squawfish are ready and willing (well kind of) to feed those osprey. LOL