Littlefishingbuddy wants to catch some, Halibut can you help???

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
littlefishingbuddy
Petty Officer

Littlefishingbuddy wants to catch some, Halibut can you help???

Post by littlefishingbuddy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:46 am

HI,
It has been some time since i have been out in the sound for some fishing. Lost my fishing partner in a crash about 13 years ago and stopped. Well I am back and all outfitted up. New 14" alum boat with all the trimmings.:-({|= I have a nice FF and want to target a Halibut. problem is I have never tried to catch one before? Where can I find them in Puget Sound ?? I have a marine GPS so I should be able to find it:-&
I live in Edmonds so I would like to hit an area near me if possible. But will drive if necessary.

Thanks for your help,
The
Littlefishingbuddy

tommytitan08
Lieutenant

RE:Littlefishingbuddy wants to catch some, Halibut can you help???

Post by tommytitan08 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:22 am

Halibut fishing is not recommended for only a 14ft tub although it can be done with some carefulness. I've seen halibut caught off the east passage of vashon island mid channel in about 350ft of water. Good luck littlefishingbuddy.
" It is far better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6 "

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:55 am

DO NOT FISH BUTTS IN A !$ 14ft tub!!!:-$ :batman: 19ft is a floating cork!!!:-$ :-

" Mutney Bay is a joke and miles close but you could die real easy making the swing finding the bay with any tide and winds!!!!:-$

For every 100 tubs at Mutney 1 or 2 land a butt there are many locations to get it done they require length, width, HP and a Alaskan Bulkhead would help on any given day!!!:cheers:

This is not a joke without the correct workbench on any given day you will not be locating fish they will be doing = Location and recovery then Services for each and all that do this very DUMB choices :-$

Mother=nature is cruel and you better have 20 years plus of salt waters running in any tide winds, chop, swells, snow and more if your risking bodies that are not yours!!

Like much on here Feel Good Stuff:batman: NOT ON THIS ONE PASS THE CUPCAKES!!!:brilsmurf :bigsmurf:

Safety and a tub worthy of getting it done and home!!!

Happy Easter to all God Loves YOU!!!
Swede
Attachments
Fresh_butts!!!.jpg
Fresh_butts!!!.jpg (86.78 KiB) Viewed 1905 times

polywave
Angler

Post by polywave » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:30 am

Swede,
Where did you catch your last halibut?
Poly

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:00 pm

LFB, hallie fishing requires something that is very much lost nowadays:

Seamanship.

A guy with salt in his blood and experience could catch hallies in your boat, but its a risk, and not as effective. The biggest concern is that in a boat your size, you have to fish in a way that puts more emphasis on where the boat is than where the fish are. You might pick one up, but you must have a very, very close eye on the boat, the weather, and know what you are doing in the salt.

Another option is to do an open seat trade. You have a great boat for near-shore seabass, squid, freshwater spots for bass, and the like. Im sure someone with a big salt boat would trade you a seat on his for hallies in exchange for a good day of shallow water bassin.

E

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:16 pm

MID CHANNEL DEEP= 4 BUTTS THAT DAY CHASING CHICKENS TO EAT:-$ :chef: AND WE WERE IN A 27ft SEAPORT 496 BB AND GOT THE CRAP BEAT OUT OF US AS THE WINDS CAME STRONG EARLY!!!!!

A few of that day supported 22 friends for a Swell SwedeBBQ!:chef:

NOTICE THE PICTURE A FEW SALMON/Pink Red YA THINK WERE ON THAT BOARD!!:-# :-& :-"
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

littlefishingbuddy
Petty Officer

Post by littlefishingbuddy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:53 pm

As a kid I used to cruse the shallows of Edmond's with a '8 wooded pram for trout. I have seen these boats on the Columbia and it looks a little scary, Are you guys saying that I should not use this boat in the Puget sound or not go after the BUtts with this small boat? This new 14' boat has a new 25hp Suzuki and will Cruz at 40 with me in it. I can see if it is rough it could be hard to handle. but in fair conditions I would not be afraid at all. That's why I always where a life jacket.

Thanks for the heads up!

Scott

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:42 pm

CAN you catch halibut in a 14' boat?? Why of course, anything is possible. Do very many people catch halibut in a 14'er?? I'm guessing no.

#1. Consider your safety on the big water in a small boat, WHATEVER you are fishing for. If you haven't been out in awhile (small boat+big water), make sure you are comfortable with your rig, timing, conditions, locations, tidal patterns, ect. You may be familiar with this already, I'm just sayin.....

#2. I chase halibut with my 16'. Have I ever got one?? No. I probably get about two-three days to try for halibut a season. The WEATHER is the main factor on whether I can fish or not. I could take a week of work off, and if it blows that week, to bad, no dice, can't do it.

#3. Don't expect to catch any. With the small crafts that we use, we generally cannot get to PRIME halibut waters in WA. Prime waters is where everyone catches halibut. People like you and I must pick through the less productive spots, and maybe, just maybe, find that little spot where a chicken or two are hanging out. But don't count on it.

Don't let the odds stop you, I still go. I just hope for the best, but keep my expectations low.

Also, just cause your boat does 40mph, doesn't mean it's safe. Try to do 40mph with 2-3' foot waves. And at 3+', you'll probably be down to 5-8mph. Speed is great on glass, and in an emergency to get you to shore, but most of the time doesn't really help. Wearing you life jacket is great in the Sound...:cheers: .....but remember, it really is only a "give you 30 extra minutes jacket" in the cold water....:-"

Not trying to be negative, just be very aware of the risks!
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

littlefishingbuddy
Petty Officer

Post by littlefishingbuddy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:50 pm

OK I get the point! I was just shocked that the boat was so fast, Not that I could do that out there. I understand that the weather is the main factor, and will be calling a buddy with a large boat for some time on the water chasing the big one!

Thanks for the replies,
Scott

littlefishingbuddy
Petty Officer

Post by littlefishingbuddy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:11 pm

swedefish4life1 wrote:DO NOT FISH BUTTS IN A !$ 14ft tub!!!:-$ :batman: 19ft is a floating cork!!!:-$ :-

" Mutney Bay is a joke and miles close but you could die real easy making the swing finding the bay with any tide and winds!!!!:-$

For every 100 tubs at Mutney 1 or 2 land a butt there are many locations to get it done they require length, width, HP and a Alaskan Bulkhead would help on any given day!!!:cheers:

This is not a joke without the correct workbench on any given day you will not be locating fish they will be doing = Location and recovery then Services for each and all that do this very DUMB choices :-$

Mother=nature is cruel and you better have 20 years plus of salt waters running in any tide winds, chop, swells, snow and more if your risking bodies that are not yours!!

Like much on here Feel Good Stuff:batman: NOT ON THIS ONE PASS THE CUPCAKES!!!:brilsmurf :bigsmurf:

Safety and a tub worthy of getting it done and home!!!

Happy Easter to all God Loves YOU!!!
Swede
Swede!:-#

We met at the PHO place in Edmonds a few months back and you told me I needed to gain some weight! I know you remember me now :bounce: We talked about Alaska and me working on a Crabber when I was younger, Well I see you catch all the fish around here so maybe you can help me get one of those #30 Halibuts for the freezer this year?? I think I still have your number I will look. You are a very nice gent and I would love a chance to spend the day on the water with you. I can be your Littlefishingbuddy

Good fishing
Littlefishingbuddy

polywave
Angler

Post by polywave » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:14 pm

swedefish4life1 wrote:MID CHANNEL DEEP= 4 BUTTS THAT DAY......

Swede,

Are you referring to Mid Channel Bank in the straights?

Poly

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:31 pm

fishin'buddy,

Sounds like you got the idea on the heavy water with the 14' boat..... but just so you don't go away totaly bummed...
I have a 14' deep hull, with a 25 hp merc. Pretty much sounds like the same boat maybe. I will cruise from Shilshoe seattle, up to Edmonds without any issue. I am comfortable being maybe 1/3 mile out from shore etc.

What I'm saying is, all the above can be done easily on relatively nice days in that boat. Are those halibut waters?? No, def. not. don't try that. But have a blast trolling for salmon, rockfish, resident silvers that stay close in, cutthroat, crab yourself silly, and a lot of other good stuff.

Even though I know that there are times out there when the water is very calm... I know that I could get all the way across if I wanted,, but from previous experience on a larger boat that I had,, I would NEVER attempt it in the 14' because things can change very quick. The weather itself doesn't have to change on you, the swells out in the shipping lanes can come from nowhere. But I will say from experience don't count yourself out on enjoying many things in the Sound, I'd just keep aware of the limitations.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

clam man
Warrant Officer

Post by clam man » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:37 pm

Little,

my first sound boat was 14 foot with an 8hp on the back. It would plane nice and quick with just me in it. I would take out one other person on nice days, and on the inside passage of whidbey and as far out as the buoy off of possesion point on south whidbey...but that is it. The water can get REAL nasty here with the tidal current, wind, and weather. Last year I got in pretty deep with my 16foot with a 40hp on it. I was on wave crests looking down huge troughs and level with other wave crests. The weather picked up pretty quick and it took a fair amount of skill and paitience to run the boat into safer waters.

You can enjoy tons of fun in a 14 boat with that motor on it, but just pick the nicer days. Good setup for salmon and bottom fish nearer to shore.

See you out there....but look into all the safety equipment required for the sound...flares, vhf, life jackets, etc....
Clam Man

"____________"

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:42 pm

Brain Space has me toast too many folks> some damage as well#-o

Where did we talk ?
You need help you need a fish and I make it out lets make a GROUP run 2= 24fter loaded with Bonics= Chicken will be on the house and feel free to call me Time is not my bud Fish are!

I am shocked being the sensitive type:scratch: :shaking: :shaking2: I called anyone lean on mean :colors: NOT :cyclopsan but it had to be in love:cheers: as I turned the corner as a fighter now a 1st mate Cupcake:chef:

1-800-Creatine.Swede! LOL:salut:

Fish ON!!! POLYWAVE YES!!!!:cheers:

PS folks who support will always Beat 1!
Help I will take with Grace and sharing is all I have left other then cupcakes 8-[
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:13 pm

Let's put this in perspective.

People often make crossings across prime waters in things like 15' open sailboats. We move across the areas in 17' kayaks. Seaworthiness and what you can/can't be out in are tied together. My neighbor fished off Swiftsure in a 19' flat bottom tunnel hulled beater with no electronics in the fog. The sides are 14" tall.....

E

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:31 pm

Fishing open water in small boats reminds me of the famous Dirty Harry line "Do you feel Lucky?". I've done it plenty of times but, I've also ran for cover a lot of times before the weather and water turned to crap. I've beached boats intentionally more than once, and have spent the night in marinas and motels on the opposite side from where i launched, as discretion is the better part of valor. Fishing for butts in Admiralty inlet can be productive, but it can get really snotty in a hurry. Pick your good weather day, know the tides, have the best safety gear, and keep an eye on the far horizons for weather changes.
Life's short - fish hard!

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:33 am

Gisteppo wrote:Another option is to do an open seat trade. You have a great boat for near-shore seabass, squid, freshwater spots for bass, and the like. Im sure someone with a big salt boat would trade you a seat on his for hallies in exchange for a good day of shallow water bassin.

E
Killer idea :cheers: Saltwater fishing in trade for Musky fishing.