Fly Fishing Only - 2 Flies

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
AJFishdude
Warrant Officer

Fly Fishing Only - 2 Flies

Post by AJFishdude » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:55 pm

Hey everyone, so I am just starting to break into the fly fishing scene this year and have an introductory question on fly fishing only waters. The statement in the regs (page 10) which says, "an angler may use only the following tackle: up to 2 flies," is confusing to me. I am assuming that this means one of two things, either:

an angler can use no more than two flies at once (presumably on the same line)

-or-

an angler can only use two flies while fishing that body of water period (presumably for a given day)

I know that two fly simultaneous setups exist (although I don't know much about them since I am just getting started) and so I would like to think that is what the regulations actually mean, but it is hard to tell. To limit your flies to just two throughout the entire day seems ridiculous.

PS: If this has already been hashed out in another thread, just point me that way.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Re: Fly Fishing Only - 2 Flies

Post by Steelheadin360 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:00 pm

The rule means you can have two flies on you line at the same time. A popular set up is running a dry fly with a nymph dropper and using the dry as a strike indicator.

AJFishdude
Warrant Officer

Post by AJFishdude » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:29 pm

Nice, thanks for the reply.

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:18 am

Fly fishing only waters - 2 flies, no external weight and must have a fly line and non-revolving reel. Hooks need to be barbless.

Special regulations water and "anything goes lakes" - use of 3 flies and splitshot allowed. Doesn't matter if it's a fly rod or spinning reel and bubble. Hooks need to be barbless for special regulations water only. Suggested for "anything goes lakes" as it makes the hook easier to get out when you hook yourself.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:04 pm

chironomids are often tied 2 feet or so apart and fished off a strike indicator for trout, especially in the spring. It's a still fishing technique.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

AJFishdude
Warrant Officer

Post by AJFishdude » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:45 pm

Good to know, thanks for the additional info.

sealegs
Warrant Officer

Post by sealegs » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:07 am

the dry dropper works for me versus just one dry or one nymph. Also, always be ready to switch flies outto "Match the Hatch". I've been fly fishing for about two years and really enjoy my time on the water.

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”