Battery powered impact wrenches

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Jerry H
Warrant Officer

Battery powered impact wrenches

Post by Jerry H » Mon May 12, 2014 9:11 pm

Does anyone have experience with battery powered impact wrenches? I have researched on line several makes and models but for all of them there is a wide rating range of 1 to 5. I would be carrying it in my truck and using it for tire changes on both the truck and boat trailer. I'm sure you get what you pay for but even some of the top dollar models have reviews saying they will not break loose lug nuts even though they are advertised for that purpose. My back can't do breaking loose lug nuts anymore.

G-Man
Admiral

Re: Battery powered impact wrenches

Post by G-Man » Mon May 12, 2014 9:28 pm

For a passenger truck and the trailer can tow, there is no reason one would need an impact wrench to remove the lug nuts. Simple leverage and a tire iron will do the trick. I weigh about a buck forty five and when I stand on the end of my tire iron, the lug nuts on my 3/4 ton truck give way with no problems. Tire iorns are over a foot long so if you put your weight on the end of them, by this I mean stand on them, you'll be applying at least the equivelant of your body weight or more in foot/lbs of torque to the nut.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue May 13, 2014 2:46 am

Just used my first the other day. Not sure brand it was father in laws but it worked fantastic broke loose lugnuts even a axle rod nut. It made the job very easy.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Tue May 13, 2014 6:27 pm

I have nothing to offer in the way of Battery powered impact wrenches. By the way, are you referring to a cordless impact drill? If so, I have not had good luck with a cordless batter holding a charge, when sitting idle for more than a couple of days. Needs to be on a charge all the time, for on demand use. Also would like to add, after the tire boys torque the lug nuts to 90lbs per sq in., and the threads get dirt on them, and rust starts setting in. They can be a bi#ch to remove.

Using leverage, as G-man suggested is best. But, slipping off a tire iron or breaker bar while standing on it. Will present a problem with back pain. The problem with standing on the tire iron or breaker bar, is the socket wants to torque down and away from the rim. That causes the flat edges of the nut to round out. If breaking loose a nut is a problem, try rounding out a nut, that when things go from bad to worse.

I have better luck with a tire iron or breaker bar, and cheater that fits over and onto, effectively extends the length of the handle. This adds torque, exponentially. Plus, one hand is pressing down on the cheater handle. While the other is centering the socket on the nut preventing rounding it out.

Can a cordless, battery powered impact gun be charged with a/c power?

It just came to me, using a DC to AC converter. Or, is it an inverter?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed May 14, 2014 6:21 am

Battery tools have come along way in the last few years. I'm pretty sure he's not talking about a hammer drill which would not be of any use removing nuts of any type unless they're made of cement. Lots of battery powered impact wrenches out there. Just say no to NiCad's and NiMh, my preference would be look only at tools powered with LIon batteries. They hold an idle charge much better, have better discharge characteristics and won't develop a charge memory, not mention the power density so they're less than half the weight. They cost a bit more but in the end you'll save by not buying over priced replacement battery packs.
So to be realistic, you're going to be taking off and retightening 8 to 16 nuts per use. I would think that with a Lion system a guy could get by with a little top up every month or two and you'd have no problems.

4 to 16 nuts = 1 tire per use. Most folks only carry one spare.

As a side note most tire manufactures car/truck companies and the St Patrol recommend a couple cans of flat fix and stay away from the jack and tools on the side of the road, much too dangerous. Most tires now are throw away, one flat and it's time for a new tire. Spray in the stuff and limp to the tire store. What could be easier?
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Wed May 14, 2014 7:43 am

I have a Craftsman 1/2 inch impact wrench thats been in use for several years now. I work in the auto service industry. If your truck lugnuts and boat lugnuts are torqued in the 80 ft pound range, then that gun should work for you. The package that they sell with the 2 nicads are garbage. Pick up the gun by itself and the lithium battery with the charger and your set. Ive zapped off a set of wheels with a fully charge battery before by the way.

sinkerswim
Petty Officer

Post by sinkerswim » Wed May 14, 2014 7:54 am

I'd be worried the battery would be dead when it was time to use it. You're just looking for occasional use? When you get a flat?

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Wed May 14, 2014 8:32 am

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tool ... d=25618-02" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's what I have, its not enough to break my lug nuts, I just use gorilla wrench and then use the way impact, just remember to use impact sockets otherwise you will damage your lugs. But on the road I strictly use the wrenches as I'm not that old yet.
Last edited by sickbayer on Wed May 14, 2014 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

coretron22
Warrant Officer

Post by coretron22 » Wed May 14, 2014 8:42 am

NiCad & NiMh will drop their charge while sitting on the shelf and should be cycled regularly to make them last as long as possible. Lithium batteries do not drop their charge on the shelf & have a better energy drop off. Get Lithium powered impact wrench or you will be disappointed. $0.02 added. [thumbup]

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Wed May 14, 2014 8:49 am

coretron22 wrote:NiCad & NiMh will drop their charge while sitting on the shelf and should be cycled regularly to make them last as long as possible. Lithium batteries do not drop their charge on the shelf & have a better energy drop off. Get Lithium powered impact wrench or you will be disappointed. $0.02 added. [thumbup]

Second that.

Jerry H
Warrant Officer

Post by Jerry H » Wed May 14, 2014 8:47 pm

Thanks for the information. I do carry fix a flat but need something for when it is worse than a puncture. I had a trailer tire come apart outside of Cle Elum and was a cripple for a week after changing it. I think I'll pick one up with a lithium battery and give it a try. If it doesn't do the job I'll take it back. Thanks again!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu May 15, 2014 10:53 am

Jerry H wrote:Thanks for the information. I do carry fix a flat but need something for when it is worse than a puncture. I had a trailer tire come apart outside of Cle Elum and was a cripple for a week after changing it. I think I'll pick one up with a lithium battery and give it a try. If it doesn't do the job I'll take it back. Thanks again!
I've been there right with ya, only mine was on I5 at Arlington. I do carry both and a spare for the trailer, when they go, they really go! The other piece of equipment I would really recommend is one of the roll on jacks for the trailer. Stick it under the axel and pull forward and it rolls the trailer right up on it. Way easier than a jack. I used the jack exactly once. Never again. Don't forget the never seize when you have the lugs off.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!