Oneshot helped saving mans life.

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Big D

Oneshot helped saving mans life.

Post by Big D » Tue May 21, 2013 12:07 am

I saw this posted on another website and thought it to important not to share.

On a personal note.
I knew that there was a reason that I liked this Oneshot guy.
He goes above and beyond at great personal risk to himself. The guy in the water is clearly exhausted and probably suffering from hypothermia and not making good decisions. There's been many stories about people drowning while trying to save a fishing rod or tackle box and that is clearly shown in this video.
I don't know and didn't hear in the video if the guy in the water ever said thank you so I'll say it for him.
Thank you Oneshot and if we ever meet up, drinks are on me until you can't drink any more.
You do yourself and your family proud.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Oneshot helped saving mans life.

Post by natetreat » Tue May 21, 2013 2:12 am

Wow. I can't believe that nobody else came to help! I was just there! You did the right thing, oneshot. There's a lot to be said about this video. Free trip in my boat on me, name the date and we'll catch some springers.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue May 21, 2013 4:18 am

Great job there oneshot! Isnt it nuts how some people will simply not help. Even more nuts how the guy was still holding on to his rod and tackle box and canoe while almost dying.... If he had climbed in to your boat would reduced all the drag on the motor I would've drag him in with by his hair kicking and screaming lol . All I can say is superb job unpressure with people doing no good to help the situation trolling lines etc... I defo buy you a pint next time you hit the water with Bodo. :cheers:

Augwen
Lieutenant

Post by Augwen » Tue May 21, 2013 5:35 am

Amazing...Oneshot you are the Man!!!

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue May 21, 2013 5:54 am

Nice work Oneshot! =D>

EDIT: Just watched the vid....shows how difficult it can become to simply help someone out especially if they're exhausted or uncooperative. The rescue itself could easily get complicated. Again, good job in your efforts.
Last edited by BentRod on Tue May 21, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue May 21, 2013 7:32 am

:cheers: :cheers: A huge gold star for Jonny!!!! :cheers: :cheers:

As horrific as it seems, this is all too common occurrence. People wonder why we have to do a Boaters Ed Card. The kayaker is a poster child for extending it to anyone in a boat. Although it's not likely to happen because the card is driven by the insurance industry and most kayakers don't insure themselves or their boats.
<Rant over>
This same scene has happened 4 out of the last 5 years for the opening of crab season on the north end of Camano. Here's the drill.
1. Over loading the boat because the boat is half the size it should be for the occupants alone, let alone traps. You can sink a Livingston, ask RACFISH.
2. Don't have the required strength to pull the pots after they're set. Capsize the boat pulling line and falling on the boats gunnel.
3. Not sharing the plan to set or pull pots with the most responsible adults (questionable at best) in the family/group.
4. Trying not to lose equipment at the cost of their lives.
5. 50% use of PFD at best.
6. Trying to be self sufficient and refusing aid when it's offered.
7. Taking Grandma for a ride in the boat, don't have a PDF to fit........ Burka + cold salt water + minimal swim skills = bad day.

Standing in the living room in the morning, looking out over the bay sipping my coffee and notice the derelict boat. Grab bino's to get a closer look. Notice occupants in the water and comment to wife about the lack of attention being paid by the other crabbers in close proximity. Guess we'd better go get them.......... again. On goes the jackets and the pfd's and we push the boat down the tracks to the water. Start it up and head out for the rescue. We arrive on the scene still amazed that no one else in the area has rendered aid. We engage the victims and try to pull them on board using all techniques learned in life saving classes, between the three of us it's futile trying to get the grossly over weight swimmers in the boat. It's very hard to pull a large person into the boat, Jonny gets a gold star for trying. Every time we end up pulling the people up as high as we could on the bow, making them fast and driving them into the beach, dragging them ashore and pouring hot liquids into them till the aid unit arrives. At that point we find they belong a half dozen houses down the beach and the rest of their group is oblivious to their predicament.
As stated earlier this is becoming an all to common occurrence yet there's still nothing anyone can do about it. You can't protect people from themselves no matter how much you try. It can't be done. We all know "That Guy" who's headed for a Darwin award.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:40 am

=D> :cheers: :salut: Nice job oneshot!

coretron22
Warrant Officer

Post by coretron22 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:34 am

Wow...Oneshot you are THE MAN!

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Tue May 21, 2013 9:33 am

Great work! Can't believe no one helped you guys, that's ridiculous.

And please don't blame the kayaker, everyone has accidents, no reason to pile on.

bothellfisher
Petty Officer

Post by bothellfisher » Tue May 21, 2013 9:58 am

Jonny is the dude! I always knew there was a reason I liked that Guy... Way to go! This Video goes to show no one is there for you... If you want to be a safer Boater/Fisherman you have to be prepaired... its sounds like even "Oneshot" learned something... you may look funny wearing them but P.F.D. save lives.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Tue May 21, 2013 11:08 am

Way to go oneshot!! In this day and age we REALLY need more people like oneshot.
Bodo- On opening ling day, as I passed the spot on camano head I couldn't help but to think about the tragedy last year and how fast things can go wrong....sent chills up my spine.
As for the people in the boat that oneshot was calling to....ya you guys that sat in your boat watching 75 yards away and did NOTHING to help even after repeated calls. You do NOT belong on the water....if not willing to render help when needed, especially when it is an emergency STAY THE H*** OFF OUR WATERS, [cursing] your not welcome.
ONESHOT- Thank you from me and everyone else....your the man! =D>

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue May 21, 2013 11:12 am

Great job Jon for saving that man. [thumbup]

I finaly got a chance to watch the vid.

The first thing I noticed was the lack of tying the bottom of that guy's life vest, so it was acualy choking him somewhat.

Those other people and boaters that failed to help should be ticketed for failier to render aid. Yes even those on the shoreline. Had I been there I would have looked around for a boat to take and row out, even without permission if no one is there to ask.
Tom.

Interests: living

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:30 am

Can't believe that there were boaters that didn't help. Nothing can be that important, nothing! Not sure how someone could look themselves in the mirror if they kept fishing while somebody drowned. Despicable selfish cowards.

Then there's oneshot! Nice work sir, hope your liver can hold up to all the beers we want to buy you! Saved a life, something to be very proud of.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue May 21, 2013 11:47 am

Yes they do submerge. Both me and my bro wear our PFDs . I know I have limits to what I can do. I wear my PFD on some river banks. I can swim but Im not a strong swimmer.Good job Oneshot. You Da Man.... :salut:

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:00 pm

So glad you shared this Big D. Oneshot you are the man!

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:36 pm

nice work oneshot. i think it is time to throw away my old life jackets for lake fishing. (the ones that are stale and 10+ years old) i will be sure to keep an extra in the boat from now on too.
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue May 21, 2013 2:03 pm

Great job! The film editor in me couldn't help but note you were careful to keep the camera centered on the action. [rolleyes]

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Tue May 21, 2013 3:46 pm

Link from Myedmondsnews.com
http://myedmondsnews.com/2013/05/firefi ... day-night/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was there when it happened and was one of the "dummies" on the dock, unlike most of the others on the dock I had reeled in when Oneshot was heading back out. I agree with the poster child comment regarding the guy and his kayak. I was there when he launched the kayak and was already have issues then. It's my uneducated guess but not only did he not have the proper life jacket or PFD not properly secured but the kayak itself seemed too small for his body size. Like I said my uneducated eye/guess.

At least somebody had a cell phone with a working battery and was able to call 911. Mine was dead! I pulled it out when the first cries occurred and realized my faulty battery decided to discharge again with a 50% charge. Smart phone mine ain't! New battery arrived on Saturday and as luck would have it complete discharge and charge old battery decides to cooperate.

On a weekly basis Fire District 1, the Edmonds Police Department, and the Mountlake Terrace Police do emergency drills with the boat. The only ones that seems to do the entire training drill is FD1. In any case I'm still wondering why the first officer to the scene didn't at least open the shed where the boat is stored, or have the second set of officers start moving the boat into place so that the FD1 (since again they have done the training) could then just do the "check list" and start the boat up. That cost them some very important minutes. All the while Oneshot is trying to deal with overturned kayak and kayaker. I don't think your video showed it but the FD1 people had some trouble getting the guy into the rescue boat. Not sure if Oneshot would have been able to get him in if he agreed.

The guy is likely embarrassed to death over the whole thing, but hopefully he did say thank you to somebody. Like Oneshot I'm flabbergasted that the one other boat on the lake at that time did nothing --- and they were the closest at the time.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> Oneshot

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue May 21, 2013 5:05 pm

Amazing, Oneshot. On so many levels! You're prob. a humble man....but a great round of applause is due you.
How you didn't go up on the dock and just plain lose it, is another testament to your character. Or maybe it's all on the cutting room floor.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Tue May 21, 2013 7:04 pm

Mike Carey wrote:Great job! The film editor in me couldn't help but note you were careful to keep the camera centered on the action. [rolleyes]
I am such a "get the shot" kook sometimes.. :pirat: [thumbup]

BigD, thanks for posting this here.. I migrate between sites day to day, this site is still my favorite though..

and hey everyone! THANK YOU for all the kind words!! its touching, really..
I seriously was just doing what I thought was my duty, there WAS another boat in the water even closer to this man, and we were yelling for help from them while we launched my boat and they did not respond then or later or ever, they never came off the lake.. we were there after dark and the last ones there, they lived on the lake i am guessing.. believe me, one of the reasons i waited so long was to give some hell. but they never came to the launch and disappeared after a while..

in waiting and talking with my buddy, the man we rescued was brought back from the hospital to his truck at the park.. i walked over to him and he thanked me very sincerely and wouldn't let go of the handshake..

I learned a few things from this for sure, right after it happened and over the last couple days reviewing the video and i have learned even more from all the comments and constructive posts..

and I will say this one thing and leave it at that.. this guy had NO BUSINESS being in that small kayak in the middle of the deepest part of the lake.. or any part of the lake, he was close to 70 yrs old, out of shape, did not have a proper fitting life vest and did not have it on properly either, what the F, dude??!!??!!! ... that's my opinion..

Quadfather, this video was 98% of the footage, very raw coming from me, ;) I didn't fluff it up or take anything out.. i wanted to say a lot of bad things to the jerks on the dock and it IS like me to do that too. i'm not PC at all.. but when i got back to shore all i could think about was the chaos that just happene, a man is still alive thankfully and i needed to process.

I took my minnkota apart today finally and ripped 75yards or more of line off the shaft.. I got angry doing it.. [cursing]

Nate.... [thumbsup]