PAY ATTENTION! LIVES ARE AT RISK!

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
tbeaty516
Petty Officer

PAY ATTENTION! LIVES ARE AT RISK!

Post by tbeaty516 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:54 am

Was anchored out bottom fishing with a friend and if we had not been paying attention (which we were anchored not moving kind of our right to do once that anchor settles) we would have been sunk.

We noticed a large red boat trolling the waters and was pointed at us. (we are in a 14 foot alumacraft) We were not anchored in the middle of the lake but a good 75 feet from shore. This red boat with two adults and a younger boy kept getting closer and closer. We stood up in my boat as they were now only 25 or so feet from hiting us square in the side and started yelling at them. Every other boater in the lake looked at us BUT the family in the red boat. At about 10 feet away I started screaming at them to no end. and so as they came to hit us I grabbed the front of their boat, pushed it to their left and towards my motor. MY friend grabbed my jacket to keep me from falling in and from jumping into their boat with them. The front of their boat barely moved and we ended up dragging our anchor a little because we didnt have time to pull it up and move. they barely missed taking my engine with them. collision avoided but the fact that I had to lay hands on another boat to save mine should NEVER have happened.

As the family CONTINUES to troll past us, over our lines, the Father only says "haha sorry guys"

Sorry you almost sunk and possible injured us?!?!?! Or sorry you then contined to fish directly over our lines snapping my buddies and catching mine on your boat?! Or sorry You cant watch where you are going in a 20 foot bayliner while MOVING!

The "haha sorry guys" was the worst because after I sprouted a good few choice words at the father, mother, and kid that I would not repeat in front of anyones mother or child.. I didnt let it ruin my day but it sure made me lose faith in washington boaters.

How hard is it really when moving at all of 3 miles an hour to just glance at where you are going?!

(steps off soap box)

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Re: PAY ATTENTION! LIVES ARE AT RISK!

Post by racfish » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:00 am

You were very pleasent it seems. I think I would have been a lil sharper like smack my paddle into their boat.A slingshot works wonders too. Ask some boaters on the Snoqualmie. Hahaha

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:02 am

where did this happen? beings you are from the Navy in Virginia Beach, Virginia? when did this happen?
Tom.

Interests: living

tbeaty516
Petty Officer

Post by tbeaty516 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:14 am

It happened yesterday in lake Erie down the road from Campbell. I didnt have time to think but I was close to jumping into their boat. I also had a compound bow in the front of the boat for any common carp that I was thinking might get some use but no I just gave them a few words the navy taught me that wont be repeated.

I'm not in Virginia. Where does it say that?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:16 am

tbeaty516 wrote:
I'm not in Virginia. Where does it say that?
As moderater I have my ways. You do know this web site is in Washington State don't you?
Tom.

tbeaty516
Petty Officer

Post by tbeaty516 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:22 am

Yes I know where this website is and I know where I am. I'm sorry if I'm missing something.

I can be more exact on the location of the lake. It is Lake Erie in Skagit County in the northwest part of Washington state.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/92/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Am I missing something? I'm not trying to offend or enrage.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:27 am

Just checking, it's my job here. I didn't even know that there WAS a Lake Erie in Wa. state.

Yes everyone everywhere needs to pay attention to everything and everyone else when they go boating. Thanks.

You should have gotten the boats number and turned him in, even taken his picture to prove who was 'driving/in control' of the boat. But it's kinda hard to think of those things in the heat of the moment.
Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:31 am

Oh ya, that is what a 'sounding device' is for in a boat. Horn, whistle. Airhorns are great, loud :cheers: and small enough to be put in any boat of any size. [thumbup]
Tom.

tbeaty516
Petty Officer

Post by tbeaty516 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:36 am

Its hard to think of anything other than jumping in their boat and giving them a piece of my boot instead of just a piece of my mind. But yes that would have been a great idea but who would I turn them into?

Sorry about the confusion. Yes lake Erie on Fidalgo Island is tiny and hard to find.

Armed Forces or not he was doing his job. I'm not special. just like cops cant break the traffic laws just because they are cops..... wait bad example. [biggrin]

And an Airhorn climed to the top of the list of fishing acessories..

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:41 am

You would turn them into any law enforcement like local Police or State Police. Some places like a Federal body of water you could turn them into the Coast Guard.
Tom.

tbeaty516
Petty Officer

Post by tbeaty516 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:47 am

AH HA! so Your tracking my computer!!!!

I'm going to bounce around the office and use everyones cells to really throw you off lol

If everyone is getting chill pills I want some too... [biggrin]

Thats a great idea but in reality what is the local police going to do? I mean are they going to shake their finger at the guy for "almost" hitting us or is it going to go to the other side of the spectrum and get the guys boat impounded...

I mean he never really hit us. There are a lot of "could"s and "might have"s involved.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:48 am

Ya, but if the law at least talked to them, MAYBE they'd take more care next time on the lake, BUT there is certainly no guarantee of that. If they were stupid enough to not pay attention once, they've probably done the same thing many times and will keep on doing so.

I'm going to bounce around the office and use everyones cells to really throw you off lol
Too late, I've already got you covered. [laugh]
Tom.

tbeaty516
Petty Officer

Post by tbeaty516 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:52 am

I dont know, if a crazy screaming guy trying to jump in your boat after you almost hit him doesnt scare you into watching where you are going I dont think a guy in uniform would make any difference... But I will keep that in mind as it is the right way to handle things like this.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:59 am

Definitely can make a difference if some crazy pissed dude is screaming at you. I'd sure take note. :scratch:
Tom.

tbeaty516
Petty Officer

Post by tbeaty516 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:04 am

What topped it off for me was the chuckle and "sorry guys"

That made me want to invite my self into his boat and terrorize his boating experience...

And then he just kept fishing like nothing happened... At least stop and say a proper sorry. ask If everyone is ok... Offer a nice cold beverage... something!!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:05 am

Ya, the chuckle tells me he really doesn't care.
Tom.

tbeaty516
Petty Officer

Post by tbeaty516 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:08 am

The chuckle told me "why yes, yes I would love to have you come flying onto my boat like a spider monkey.. Oh please dont forget to throw me and all my stuff into the water."

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:10 am

But THAT would have been fun. Image
Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:16 am

And you might have had the lake to yourself in the future forever, he'd pass the word and nobody would be brave enough to ever fish the lake again. [scared] [laugh]
Tom.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:30 am

I probably would have jumped in the boat, there is a reason i keep a couple of 1/2 oz lead balls and a sling shot in my boat as well.

and i cant tell if you to are serious or not, nice thread jack though