Anyone With A Mod-V Can Take Me On A Ride?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
FishingFool
Captain

Anyone With A Mod-V Can Take Me On A Ride?

Post by FishingFool » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:01 pm

Looking for something in the 16-18' range. I want to see how's the ride and stability of it. I'll pay for gas. Should know within 10 mins if I like that design or not.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Anyone With A Mod-V Can Take Me On A Ride?

Post by Amx » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:03 pm

Mod V? What kind of boat do you have in mind? What brand?
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:19 pm

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... ied-v.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.tropicalboating.com/2010/04/ ... drise-hull" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:21 pm

Amx wrote:Mod V? What kind of boat do you have in mind? What brand?
Trying to decide stick with a slightly bigger deep-v or go the mod-v route.

I've been eyeballing Ranger RT178, Crestliner VT17, and Tracker PT175 TXW.

The deep-v. So far, I'm liking the Ranger VS1680 the best, but it's far from perfect. I haven't been able to find a "perfect" boat. The wife likes the deep-v/ fisn&ski type boats. I do like the deep-v for just in case in bad waters.

But the layout on the mod-v are so much better.

Don't want to go with fiberglass because costs way too much and I don't want to baby it as much.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:35 pm

http://www.trackerboats.com/about/smoot ... rantee.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:51 pm

Yep, the paint job on the Tracker is very nice. I like it a lot , but I would love a white color option instead of the black and red option only. And they seem to have an amazing warranty too.

I don't like how it has wood decks, smaller rear bins. Not to mention, they are not considered "dry storage". I also don't like that 2nd front livewell. Wish it was storage.

I think I'm going to scratch Ranger's RT178 off my list. First off, the one I saw, doesn't look that great. It's more $$$$ and it seems to be, I'm only paying the difference for the name. We all know Ranger advertises and sponsors so many things. That money doesn't come out of thin air. From what I can tell, the Crestliner VT series are almost the same thing as Ranger's. But Ranger has a poor warranty on the boats. They seem to be proud of them, price wise. But doesn't want to stay behind them. I do still like Rangers deep-v though. Closest boat I've found that almost fits my parameters.

I'll see if the wife wants to go with me to Basspro tonight. Need that 2nd person for the carpool lane, LOL.

Like I said, she likes a fish&ski type of boat, I'm more towards the fishing aspect. I'm in the boat 99.99 % of the time. So I don't see what the big deal is with her.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:12 pm

Limit Out has some Alumacraft 14 to 18 footers. 6 or 7 coming in, in a couple few/4 weeks.

Multi fish species boats.

You might want to call Russ and talk to him to see what models they are.
Tom.

angry john
Petty Officer

Post by angry john » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:44 pm

I cant seem to find any of them here but the G3 i rode in was a great boat. If i am to get one i will have to drive a long way. Might be worth a look.

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:00 pm

I have a Tracker Mod-V, The signature Revolution Hull cuts and has a super DRY ride, I also like that it only draws inches of water. You can get real shallow. PM ME
Cast first, worry later.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:35 pm

I'm pretty set on a Tracker PT190 TX or Crestliner VT18.

I decided if I'm going to get a new boat, might as well get one bigger that's more like a leap than step.

If I do decide on the Tracker, it will have to be next year, because that front live well is a deal breaker. Worthless live well, where it could be storage instead. I don't know if Tracker will change it next year, just a suspicion. I would use my boat for most of the year then try to sell it near the end of the season.

Has wood deck.
Most likely less stable while fishing due to shorter beam and bottom.
Lack of color choices.

I really like the deeper v design on the Tracker. I'm confident this will create a better drive in rougher water.
I also like the vinyl option. Super easy to clean.
I really like the powdercoat paint finish. Looks great.
Best warranty.

Now I haven't seen the Crestliner VT18 in person yet. But I did see a TC18 instead. Very similar boat. Different layout on the front half,but I have a pretty good idea. Had carpet. I still want to see what the spray liner looks/feels like. But I suspect, the carpet works well as sound deadening. If I decide on the VT18, I can sell my boat or trade it in right away.

Here's what I noticed.

The splashwell has ribs on the top. For whatever reason, Crestliner didn't weld them all around completely and makes it look sloppy.
Interior options are spray or carpet. Odds with spray, walking on the boat will sound like a tin can.
Most likely rougher ride due to the mod-v design.
New model, so don't know how the hull will perform, i.e. porpoise like the Ranger Rt188.
Shorter warranty than Tracker.

I like how the boat has no wood at all.
They have this pretty cool spot to mount transducers, so you don't have to drill into the hull.
Wider beam and bottom, so most likely more stable while fishing.
Has a gunnel track system to mount accessories.
No live well up front, all storage.
If numbers are right, should be $1k cheaper.

Both dealers about 1hr away.

Sigh.