Snohomish Coho

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Steelheadin360
Commodore

Snohomish Coho

Post by Steelheadin360 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:02 am

Its almost that time!

As the month of September draws closer around 300,000 Coho are making there way to the Snohomish river system. These snappy, hard fighting fish make for days of easy limits and sore arms. This is my favorite time of the year and some of my favorite fish to target. Double hook ups are very common. I am going to start running trips for these Hawgs on September 22nd and run them through October. Now is the perfect time to secure those weekends, or even a week day at a discounted rate. These trips will be 8-10 hours and be $185 per person with kids always being free (under 16). I look forward to fishing with everyone!

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Re: Snohomish Coho

Post by Steelheadin360 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:11 am

And as always, WaLakes member receive a $25 discount!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:05 am

Gotta love Snoho Coho! Good deal Zack

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

luisdabeast206
Petty Officer

Post by luisdabeast206 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:33 pm

For some the season has already started. I went out there today, and a gentlemen was targeting trout with his #5 blue fox. Another fellow was casting a spoon, also looking for "trout". I was able to get lot of great free blackberries though.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:42 pm

Yeah, I too have seen alot of "trout" fisherman.

tommyhydro
Angler

Post by tommyhydro » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:00 am

Have the coho started showing up in the snohomish? Was thinking about heading out to try it on Monday but not if they haven't been coming in yet? Can't remember when I was seeing them at bob herriman park last year.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:37 am

Ive heard there some kicking around down way low. Im gonna try it monday.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:26 am

Im heading there Tuesday, Samish Monday.
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

tommyhydro
Angler

Post by tommyhydro » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:23 pm

Yeah think I am going to try by the mouth of the pilchuck or the wildlife park, decisions decisions lol

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:42 am

I like to fish

gsus32
Petty Officer

Post by gsus32 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:33 am

I going to give the Snohomish a try tomorrow where do yOu guys think I will have the best chance of getting one
From the bank ?

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:45 pm

Some people do pretty good tossing spinners or plugs in Snohomish. Or maybe the dock at langus park. Thats where im launching tomorrow. Gunna troll plugs and look for schools to throw jigs at. Its still incredibly early, and there's probably not alot of fish in yet, but rivers open dangit! Cant just sit home on the coho opener.

gsus32
Petty Officer

Post by gsus32 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:18 pm

Ya that's what I'm saying any day on the water is a good day in my book I'll be out there fishing from the bank I need a boat lol

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:18 am

Reports from this morning.

Shipwreck and Edmonds is kicking out a few fish. The Snohomish and the Skagit are a ghost town. A lot of that has to do with the warm, low flows. But the Stilly is kicking out a few fish.

Still early for Snoho Coho but there is a few in there. Just gotta get them to bite

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:43 am

Johns Sptg Goods newsletter has a pretty good article on how to fish the lower Sno for Silvers. Page down a bit.

http://www.johnssportinggoods.com/wp-co ... letter.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:06 am

If they start entering the river in the early part of September the fishing is fairly good. If they enter the river the very last part of September and early October, well then it's can be a tough season
This is the only part of that news letter that I will call completely false. Last year fishing didn't get good until the very end of September when we got our first big rain and fishing was INSANE for the next three weeks. And we caught chrome bright fish through November. With the river temps being so high, mixed with low clear flows, any fish that hits the river right now is going to be very hard to persuade with any kind of offering. Brads Wee wigglers, dick-nites, and good ole trusty eggs can get them snappy though. But we need a good blow out before fishing gets awesome.

The other thing I heard about last years season was this; "The only reason fishing was so good is because the flows were high and the humpies impeded the progress of the Coho." Also coming from the same source as this news letter. Again, Ill throw up the BS flag on that. Fishing was so good last year because we had the same conditions, Low, warm flows. Coho staged in the salt until the rivers cooled down, allowing massive number of fish to enter the river throughout October. Mix that with cool river temps and favorable water clarity and you have the recipe for full punch cards. The plug bite was crazy, fish were smacking plugs at the side of the boat, and you could plunk eggs literally under the boat and crank fish in as quick as you could get your gear out.

Goldrigger1
Petty Officer

Post by Goldrigger1 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:00 am

I'm working a lot of hours but wanted to check the Snoho for silvers. Tried for 2 days during the big incoming tide. Just a few hours. I saw no rollers. I didn't see anyone catch fish. I hooked a mid-sized trout on a Blue Fox #4 in gold. I had another strike by the Pilchuck on the same spinner within 6" of a post with weeds. I tried a lot away from the banks and got nothing to hit.

I tried most every lure in the box and all about the same length of time. I didn't try jigs. I probably should have. Both fish hit close to limbs or logs. My fish finder showed very few fish in channels. I talked to a kid who fished the power line area (I did too) and he said he caught a couple on spinners in the logs or downed tree limbs. Good idea, but with the cost of those, I should have tried jigs.

I've read the silvers like loggy areas. I lost a couple of brad wigglers on logs. It was a lesson on being too early.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:52 pm

Gonna play around with my side planer this weekend and work a plug up across the river and see if anything passes by and is interested. Will be my first time using this thing...should be interesting. LOL

rsd615
Angler

Post by rsd615 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:22 am

Went there on Wednesday, did some bank fishing right under 522 bridge. Plenty of good sized Silver jumping around, but none were interested. Guy across the river caught a decent sized one, but I couldn't see what he was using. I was using a #1 Dick Nite 50/50, first with a 3ft leader, than a with a 5ft leader. Then I tried a pink Corky/Yarn, still no luck. Was out there for probably 3 hrs, not a single nibble. Any advice? Technique? Pretty frustrated because there seemed to be plenty of fish, and I drove quite a ways. Pretty new to salmon fishing, any advice would be helpful.

hein19
Petty Officer

Post by hein19 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:07 am

Thinking about trying snoho with the rain has anybody caught any yet bank fishing