Baker Lake

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
EAmon ___hoffman123
Lieutenant

Re: Baker Lake

Post by EAmon ___hoffman123 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:15 am

Heading up tonight to do some prefishing this weekend for our big trip next week hehe
There are some achievements which are never done in the presence of those who hear of them. Catching salmon is one, and working all night is another.
Anthony Trollope

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:56 pm

fishindude wrote:Baker lake boating info
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/salmon/socke ... oaters.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are some free sites first come first served and other places off of the road. Last year I launched at Swift creek and boated up the lake to our campsite (really a pullout on baker lake rd.) Tied the boat off next to the campsite so I didn't have to deal with the launch everyday. From my understanding, you can camp just about anywhere on the Nat'l forest roads or boat in somewhere.

Kulshan is the most southern boat ramp and would be a long ride up to the popular fishing grounds (past the dog leg). I would suggest launching near or at swift creek as that would put you alot closer. Shannon cr. boat launch is for registered campers only.

There was a bunch of floating logs and debris up on the northern end of the lake (last year). Not sure if it is like that every year or not.
There are no free sites within the campgrounds. There are first come first serve sites listed in the campgrounds, unfortunatly when I went up last year these sites that lised as first come first served were reserved.
therre is good camping along the road for free

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:56 pm

fishindude wrote:Baker lake boating info
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/salmon/socke ... oaters.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are some free sites first come first served and other places off of the road. Last year I launched at Swift creek and boated up the lake to our campsite (really a pullout on baker lake rd.) Tied the boat off next to the campsite so I didn't have to deal with the launch everyday. From my understanding, you can camp just about anywhere on the Nat'l forest roads or boat in somewhere.

Kulshan is the most southern boat ramp and would be a long ride up to the popular fishing grounds (past the dog leg). I would suggest launching near or at swift creek as that would put you alot closer. Shannon cr. boat launch is for registered campers only.

There was a bunch of floating logs and debris up on the northern end of the lake (last year). Not sure if it is like that every year or not.
There are no free sites within the campgrounds. There are first come first serve sites listed in the campgrounds, Unfortunately when I went up last year these sites that were listed as first come first served were reserved?????
There is good camping along the road for free, but some of it is very messy...

bassplayer17
Lieutenant

Post by bassplayer17 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:45 pm

Just spent 3 days on baker (fishin was great see my report) just want to give a heads up the lake is still high with wood in the water so take it easy going out in the dark.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught....

chongo469
Commander

Post by chongo469 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:49 pm

oneshot wrote:I was hoping to fish it this year and have a downrigger setup for my boat now too, but i'll be staying close to home expecting child instead.. looking forward to reports [thumbup]
I'm right there with ya Oneshot..... My daughter is due Aug 23rd so I am not fishing as much as I like and my boat has not got wet yet since I bought it..... I am hitting the King opener tomorrow morning but out of my buddies boat.... My boat may not get used until after baby is born .... Once she is here , then I will be comfortable venturing out farther....

Congrats on the expecting the new one BTW......

blurock
Warrant Officer

Post by blurock » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:11 pm

My friend was up testing out her new kayak this weekend, and said people were having good success in the morning. Can't wait to get up there!

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:40 am

IM going up saturday with Bassplayer, aka The fish assassin, aka The big dog on saturday. and running up saturday night to camp out on the lake and fish sunday! I cant wait

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:23 pm

I was checking the regs, and hadn't seen any thing to indicate the boat can keep fishing all rods until boat limits are met. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Never mind, I just read it. OK to keep fishing all rods until the boat limit is reached. =D>

There is a minimum 18" size limit. However, for trout (under which kokanee is classified) the maximum limit is 18". SO that begs the question - if it's under could you say it's a kokanee?

Works that way on Cle Elum...

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:38 am

Here's an interesting video on how the trucking system works on Baker Lake:

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:27 am

Somebody caught some sockeye! :D

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:04 pm

I havent seen a pic yet only talk on how many limits everyone had. :-"

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:21 pm

racfish wrote:I havent seen a pic yet only talk on how many limits everyone had. :-"
Report is up.

bassplayer17
Lieutenant

Post by bassplayer17 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Steelheadin360 wrote:Somebody caught some sockeye! :D
They sure are a kick on those red lammi rods. I do not [-X see yellow in your future....

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:17 pm

bassplayer17 wrote:
They sure are a kick on those red lammi rods. I do not [-X see yellow in your future....
I'll be honest, I'm a little nervous using my nice white Lamiglas kokanee rods (which I love) on 5-8 pound crazy sockeye. I'd hate to break one of them. The rods just seem too delicate to stand up to a thrashing kokanee on steroids.

bassplayer17
Lieutenant

Post by bassplayer17 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:25 pm

Mike Carey wrote:
bassplayer17 wrote:
I'll be honest, I'm a little nervous using my nice white Lamiglas kokanee rods (which I love) on 5-8 pound crazy sockeye. I'd hate to break one of them. The rods just seem too delicate to stand up to a thrashing kokanee on steroids.
Mike be bold. Got a 9# buck last Saturday handled it just find. You got those smooth drag tica's...And that was on the red ones. 360 Picked up a nice 8# buck this morning handled it just fine....

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:47 pm

I think those lamis handled it awesome! Just don't get drag crazy or thumb the spool to hard. Today I had just enpugh power to kind of control the fish, but it was light enough to have a lot of fun! Those poles can take a beatting! Next adventure for those is humpies in the salt!

I can't wait to try out my sweet yellow eagoe claw Tony. Its gonna be great.

steeleywhopper
Petty Officer

Post by steeleywhopper » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:49 pm

I have always launched at the lower dam, I am wondering whats the best launch for a 12ft boat in the upper end? I have some family headed up there in the morning and don't want to see them have to run the 7miles in a small boat, could be bad.

bassplayer17
Lieutenant

Post by bassplayer17 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:56 pm

swift creek but get there early or panorama..

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:59 pm

Shannon point would be the best and probably the only one I'd use if you are headed to the Noisy Creek area. You could make a short run if the weather is ok from Panorama point or Swift Creek. It's a big lake and 12 is a small boat..... Keep an eye out for weather.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

EAmon ___hoffman123
Lieutenant

Post by EAmon ___hoffman123 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:27 pm

Well went 0ut today and i saw bassplayer and steelheadin360 pretty slow for most boats i got two fish within 30 minutes of eachother around 730 and i was done.
There are some achievements which are never done in the presence of those who hear of them. Catching salmon is one, and working all night is another.
Anthony Trollope