Bowmount Humminbird Fish Finder

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Joe Heater
Warrant Officer

Bowmount Humminbird Fish Finder

Post by Joe Heater » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:13 pm

I am having a problem with my humminbird bowmount. The problem is I can barely see anything on the screen. The best way i can do it is to turn the lights off in the garage, turn the light on to the humminbird and then I could barely read what it was saying.

At first it wasn't getting enough power. Fixed that problem. Humminbird said if you are getting 12v than their is a problem internally. The ownders manual says if you run a diagnostic and it passes than the problem isn't internally. Well I ran the diagnostics a few times, maninly because I can barely see what it is saying. However, it clearly says Passed and it is receiving 12.4volts.

So where does that leave me? Humminbird wants 103 bucks for a service and Im not sure thats worth it to be honest. Any ideas?
I have never met a fish yet that respected a big purchase. You can own a $100 boat or you can own a $30,000 boat. You might be more comfortable, but don't expect any fish to care about your investment.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:Bowmount Humminbird Fish Finder

Post by Rich McVey » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:38 pm

Have you tried the brightness settings? Ive made mine so dark you couldnt see anything but black.

Is it color or B/W?

Joe Heater
Warrant Officer

Post by Joe Heater » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:07 pm

ITs black and white. I can barely make out anything but it doesnt change when I do the brightness. I talked with someone else that told me the diagnostics is only an interal circuit check. They told me I am pretty much stuck getting the screen replaced. It cost 103 bucks to get that fixed. It's a fairly old finder, so I have been searching Ebay, Craiglist and what not for somebody upgrading. So far no luck.

Thanks though.

Joe
I have never met a fish yet that respected a big purchase. You can own a $100 boat or you can own a $30,000 boat. You might be more comfortable, but don't expect any fish to care about your investment.

Basstard
Petty Officer

Post by Basstard » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:59 am

I just got a lowrance and will hopefully replaceing my Humming bird this weekend I will let you know. Its a bit quirky but it shows depth and fish on it.