small baits

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
crankbait42
Commander

small baits

Post by crankbait42 » Wed May 21, 2008 3:56 pm

i went out to my secret lake a few days ago and got a 4 pound largemouth on a crappie jig. it was one of the biggest bass i have ever caught and it was on one of my smallest lures. is this normal do they usually go after such small food? this one looked healthy so i dont think that was why. has any one else caught big fish on little lures? i also lost one that looked about 3 pounds that snapped my line so it was not the only fish that bit on a crappie jig.

fishnislife
Admiral

RE:small baits

Post by fishnislife » Wed May 21, 2008 4:27 pm

I have caught large bass on small stuff but in all reality bigger bass don't like to work so hard to fill their bellies. Think about yourself eating bite sized snacks all day or sitting down and eating a nice fullfilling meal. I have notice that when I caught big bass on small lures they are usually crashing the shores for bait fish. During this time they will hunt for schools of bait fish and try and inhale a couple at a time. This might be the case with your placement of your jig just being in the right place. Keep in mind too that bass are opportunistic as well and will consume any sized meal if it is in their way and easy to take down. Any size bait put in the right spot will catch big bass if presented right. Just a thought.
Nice job on the big bass crankbait42, got any pics.

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 21, 2008 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Wed May 21, 2008 4:40 pm

sorry no pics. i had been bringing the camera every day but was only catching little fish so i left it behind. last time (hopefully) that i will ever do that. but the lakes owners did get a picture of me holding it before i let it go if i can get them i will try to post it. by the way thanks for the info.

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Wed May 21, 2008 5:14 pm

I have also caught large bass on small lures its just like fishnislife said but to me any thing under 7.5" is small too me. The first LMB I ever caught on a cane pole with live worms was 3+ with #4 mustad hook. Don't limit your self to the 1-6 pound fish when fish this big are in the area there are ones even bigger. Say I'm useing a miniwacker spinner bait and hook in to a 2+ I will put down that rod and grab my 12" set up and fish the area for the lunker. What your doing is fine,think of a craw fish 3-4", all size bass will eat them.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

SilverLakeBoy
Petty Officer

Post by SilverLakeBoy » Wed May 21, 2008 5:19 pm

3'' senkos, tubes, and cranks are my small baits and i catch a lot and a lot of big fish off them.

thanks, Casey
Flippn 'N' Pitchn is always the solution

"Never Give Up!" Mike Iaconelli

Caseysbaits.com Cutting Edge Custom Baits