I'm new to fishing WA

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Gotcha
Petty Officer

I'm new to fishing WA

Post by Gotcha » Thu May 15, 2008 9:36 am

I just recently moved here from NM, not a lot of bass fishing out there. I live in Airway Heights and I'm looking for a good place to go where I can catch some decent bass.

Also, what are some good baits to use on Medical lake and Silver lake?
"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." -John Wooden

ReelFisher
Petty Officer

RE:I'm new to fishing WA

Post by ReelFisher » Thu May 15, 2008 10:12 am

Welcome to the state. I think you'll find that there are plenty of bass hotspots to enjoy once you learn more about your area. I can't personally help you with your questions about those two lakes but I'm sure that someone on here has the answers your looking for. Good Luck
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Thu May 15, 2008 4:22 pm

Gotcha,

You live a stones throw from Medical and west Medical, Silver, and Clear Lake, with about ten smaller lakes all right in that area so you should be able to find some good fishing. Although I'm a westsider and have fished several east side lakes over the years, I have never fished the lakes near your new residence. I do know that Medical lakes provide great fishing and I am sure the others near by are also good. I know Marc Martin fishes that area so you might PM him for further information if he doesn't chime in. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck fishin and welcome to WA and WALakes.com.

Dave

Gotcha
Petty Officer

Post by Gotcha » Thu May 15, 2008 7:49 pm

Thanks guys. I'll be out of the water tomorrow afternoon at Clear Lake so I'll let you know how it goes.

SilverLakeBoy
Petty Officer

Post by SilverLakeBoy » Thu May 15, 2008 9:11 pm

they got some darn good deals in the cave lol

thanks, Casey
Flippn 'N' Pitchn is always the solution

"Never Give Up!" Mike Iaconelli

Caseysbaits.com Cutting Edge Custom Baits

Gotcha
Petty Officer

Post by Gotcha » Fri May 16, 2008 11:57 am

The cave??

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri May 16, 2008 8:39 pm

Gotcha wrote:I just recently moved here from NM, not a lot of bass fishing out there. I live in Airway Heights and I'm looking for a good place to go where I can catch some decent bass.

Also, what are some good baits to use on Medical lake and Silver lake?
Welcome to the state!

First, Medical and West Medical lakes do not have bass in them. Medical is a Selective Gear lake, meaning single barbless hook and no bait. Clear Lake and Silver Lake do have bass. Chapman has a good population of them and some get to be fair size. Liberty has a good population of both large and small mouths. I have also heard that the Spokane River out by Barker Rd has some great small mouths. Up north of Spokane is Eloika and it has a lot of bass in it. However, navigating through the weeds can be a chore most of the time.

The great think about the Spokane area is that you can fish for most kinds of fish and not have to drive any great distance.

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Fri May 16, 2008 9:47 pm

Eloika also has some good crappie in it from what I hear....I dont target bass or crappie usually so I wouldnt know
Owner, Bakercraft Lures - http://www.bakercraftlures.com/

papamike
Petty Officer

Post by papamike » Sun May 18, 2008 8:38 am

both ends of long lake and around all of the resorts are good. Eloika on the west side of the lake is good at times. I saw several large bass while trout fishing clear on friday the 16th. they were along the base resort side of the lake in the shallows.

Gotcha
Petty Officer

Post by Gotcha » Wed May 21, 2008 7:46 am

Hey Marc Martyn, are you sure there are no bass in Medical?? I pulled out a couple of what looked to be large mouths yesterday. It may be a little hard to tell from that little avatar I've got but I'm pretty sure it is.

If it's not, what else might it be??

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Wed May 21, 2008 11:18 am

Gotcha wrote:
If it's not, what else might it be??
Looks like Muskie bait to me :jocolor:
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)

Gotcha
Petty Officer

Post by Gotcha » Wed May 21, 2008 12:46 pm

AaronE wrote:

Looks like Muskie bait to me
HAHA! I know it's no Goliath but it was my first catch since I've moved here. I had to take the photo op.

jkittyesb
Angler

Post by jkittyesb » Wed May 21, 2008 12:52 pm

If you're up for a good long-weekend type of trip, check out the Potholes Reservoir. It's just south of Moses Lake - about 1 1/2 hrs from Airway Heights.

I highly recommend the Lind Coulee for smallmouth, crappie and carp (if you want a carp, that is). If you have a boat, you can camp for free with your state-issued parking permit at the boat launches on the Lind, and just keep your boat beached next to your camp. (We do this 2-3 times each summer).

If you want largemouths, you'll probably have to head up to the dunes, which are at the far north end of the reservoir. Lind Coulee is at the south end of the reservoir, so you can literally launch from the Lind and drive your boat up into the dunes area.

There's also an awesome ledge just off of Goose Island (in front of Mar Don resort) that should be between 10-20 feet deep right now. Awesome crappie and smallmouth right there!

Potholes is an awesome place for bass fishing. And if you're slightly nuts, there are a ton of walleye folk that love to go out in the middle of the night and in storms! (If nothing else, they're free entertainment!)

And by the way, welcome to WA! :D