Green River Muddy

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
somethingsfishy
Angler

Green River Muddy

Post by somethingsfishy » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:28 am

I went to the Green River near Auburn yesterday. the river was at a normal level but very muddy with about 1 foot visibility.
why is is so muddy? it is the dam causing it or is there a landslide in the river? sucks to drive an hour to a muddy river. did manage to catch and release one chum and lost one.

SalmonAddict
Warrant Officer

Re: Green River Muddy

Post by SalmonAddict » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:17 am

yeah its usually clear after this many dry days, might be a landslide somewhere but dont quote me. just a guess.
if it is a landslide, getting a good idea of where it is would help find clearer water

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:43 pm

Not sure where the dry days are that you spoke of.
Seemed like it rained like crazy Sunday, blowing, raining, etc.

somethingsfishy
Angler

Post by somethingsfishy » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:28 pm

i got there at 8 am and water was running at abut 1500 - (not high at all) but it was very muddy

SalmonAddict
Warrant Officer

Post by SalmonAddict » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:56 pm

Hmm I didn't think we got that much of a drizzle for it to turn pure brown

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:02 pm

Definitely abnormal, the I'm not sure Ive ever seen it look so milky. Landslide makes sense.
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:47 pm

There were a few spikes in the level over the weekend, but not huge. I live in Auburn and have not heard of any landslides. Looking at the forecast for this weekend I would expect them to release water the next few days, so it will probably get worse.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:40 am

I thought I'd go get my Chum fix this morning as the water levels looked optimum, so headed to the 277th stretch. Despite the low water levels, there was ZERO visibility. The water looked like coffee with cream. There must have been a slide upriver somewhere as there is no way it should have been that dirty. I tried fishing for a bit, but was unsuccessful.

bkawafishin
Petty Officer

Post by bkawafishin » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:20 pm

Bummer....I was thinking of getting my chum fix in tomorrow....but I guess that's going to be a no go if it's that bad. Wonder how long it would take for something like a slide to dissipate...

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:29 am

I've got some time this morning, I plan on driving up the river a ways to see if I can find where it clears and or where the issue starts at. I'll try to report back on here afterwords.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:55 am

Dave M wrote:I've got some time this morning, I plan on driving up the river a ways to see if I can find where it clears and or where the issue starts at. I'll try to report back on here afterwords.
Thanks Dave.

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:37 am

Looking a little more green south of the auburn golf course. The boat launch by auburn black diamond bridge water is mostly green. 6 ft or so vis. Couple guys had a few chum right at the launch. Wish I had time to fish.

somethingsfishy
Angler

Post by somethingsfishy » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:45 pm

went this afternoon, pretty much clear water so go for it. caught one on my second cast and then nothing for two hours