Blatant snagging and poaching on the PUY

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Blunatic
Petty Officer

Blatant snagging and poaching on the PUY

Post by Blunatic » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:58 pm

It has become just stupid! People are walking out with purposely snagged fish right in front of me, doesn't matter if I say anything or not anymore, people take fish and leave and then come back with different clothes or hats or they just come back or they become aggressive and threatening! Where the hell are our fish and game officers?

Oh and the trash!!! OMG! It is disgusting!!!!
Last edited by Blunatic on Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ratherbefishing
Petty Officer

Re: Blatant snagging and poaching on the PUY

Post by Ratherbefishing » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:42 pm

Green is the same. Enforcement is non existent. Picked up a huge bag of garbage when I finished today.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:35 pm

apparantly the spawning grounds of the keystone species of our region doesnt deserve protecting. got to protect those precious geoducks instead.. or patrol lowland lakes after they plant stockers... ive still never seen a warden patrol upstream of cady in snohomish in any tributary, EVER. not in 5+ years of constantly fishing those systems have i seen 1 warden, how sad is that?
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:08 am

Maybe someone should contact the "Rugged Justice" TV show that follows WDFW officers around while they enforce the law. If you could get them to film the apprehension of some of these fish poachers and snaggers, it could make the show more interesting than some warden going out and checking on meth heads and heroine addicts in Moses Lake. I have watched the show 4 times and twice they were out in the desert around Moses Lake messing with dopers, or some guy with a robbery warrant from Indiana or something, who was collecting spent brass from a known target shooting spot that was behind a "Barely Visable" "No vehicles beynd this point" sign. I get that they are law enforcement but when you hear about how short the budget is and they can't get a hold on the violators you are speaking of in this thread, it makes me think they are spending too much time serving petty warrants and haggling with druggies. Oh ya. There was the one episode where the warden watched some dork digging clams. He watched through binoculars as the guy dug more clams than his limit and was putting them back into the sand if they weren't big enough. Then he nailed the guy for having and extra clam in his pocket. Now that's dangerous "Rugged Justice".

Bay wolf
Commander

Post by Bay wolf » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:43 am

Crystal Ball says the Puy will have greater restrictions and much less access in the near future! The trash alone has already given the state and the tribe the ammunition to shut it down. Rampant poaching is just the icing on the cake, so to speak. And yes, it is getting dangerous to even mention to someone that they may be breaking the law. It seems a mark of "Manhood" these days to smash in the face of anyone who questions or corrects you. Pathetic!

As for the WDFW Wardens... well, it's probably just pure freaking apathy and exhaustion created by the extremely weak court system and lack of any real punishment. That, and the fact that it is just NOT as ego boosting to write tickets on a trashed out dump site urban river. WDFW can sit at the Puy all day long and write tickets to non-caring low lifes, who pride themselves on dissing authority and will probably never pay the stupid ticket anyway, OR, they can spend the day driving around in tax payers paid vehicles, burning tax payers gas doing something a little more in line with their "Law Enforcement Officer" status! No accountability by either party, so the real sportsmen suffer. ](*,)
Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting!
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:48 am

jonb wrote:apparantly the spawning grounds of the keystone species of our region doesnt deserve protecting. got to protect those precious geoducks instead.. or patrol lowland lakes after they plant stockers... ive still never seen a warden patrol upstream of cady in snohomish in any tributary, EVER. not in 5+ years of constantly fishing those systems have i seen 1 warden, how sad is that?
They used to patrol above Cady, I have seen and been harassed in the past. It has been three years since I have seen a WDFW officer in the field, last year I didn't fish every day but the two years before that I was out at least five days a week. Im calling the WDFW hotline about once a week now as I see people fishing the Wallace and no one answers.
the whole mess is rather sad.....I keep wondering if I missed something like poaching and snagging is now legal..... 8-[