Kokaee size

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
troutfinatic
Petty Officer

Kokaee size

Post by troutfinatic » Mon May 11, 2015 9:52 am

You would think with a early spring, the Kokanee would be the same size or larger than last year.
From pictures on the reports page, they seem to be smaller?
:scratch:

ncwflounderer
Lieutenant

Re: Kokaee size

Post by ncwflounderer » Mon May 11, 2015 11:55 am

Kokanee sizing depend on a lot of factors, it is common for the sizes to be different year after year.
Eat, sleep, fish

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon May 11, 2015 12:11 pm

And depends on what lake they are coming from.
Tom.

Interests: living

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Tue May 12, 2015 8:01 am

One of the biggest factors with Kokanee size is how many fish are in the lake and how much food they have. When we have good smolt survival rates we will see smaller, but more fish. The other thing is lack of food can make for smaller fish as well.

troutfinatic
Petty Officer

Post by troutfinatic » Sun May 17, 2015 1:09 pm

Thanks for the replys, I went fishing in a small lake with kokanee in it and was suprised the kokanee were bigger than the
stocker trout. They fought better to. They were close to 13 inches but they looked very skinny. :-s
Compared to the pictures I have seen on this site these fish looked anorxit. :scratch:
If it wasn't for the hope of catching a second holdover trout, I would have kept fishing for these Kokanee just for
the fight. =D> Have to wait a few months for the stocker trout to put on some weight. The fish & game site said the
fish in this lake were bigger than what most lakes were planted, seem very simular in size to me. I guess when there
that small it really doesn't matter. Time to break out the micro gear. [blink]