Natives Crabbing in Commencement Bay

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Kaptain King
Petty Officer

Natives Crabbing in Commencement Bay

Post by Kaptain King » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:32 am

Does anyone know how long the natives get to crab out in Commencement Bay before the state opener on July 1st? You can walk from buoy to buoy out there right now and I have never, ever seen so many pots. [confused] Tom Pollack reported from Sportco that he has never seen so many as well...I heard they are allowed 75 pots per person. I do not know if this is a gross exaggeration or what but I am worried there are not going to be any crab left for anyone else come July 1st...Does anyone know when they are done out there? I am not trying to start a big debate here, just to get facts. Thanks!
"For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing."

mizm05
Commander

Re: Natives Crabbing in Commencement Bay

Post by mizm05 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:23 am

Did they move it up to 7/1? I thought it was still the 3rd...

Kaptain King
Petty Officer

Post by Kaptain King » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:44 am

MIZM05!!! You regulation-reading you!!! :) You are so right - the 3rd. If they keep all those pots in the water until the 3rd, there will not be one crab left in the bay.
"For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing."

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:14 am

Come out to Westport with me this weekend. We'll crab and fish out there. Plenty to be had on the coast! My buddy was casting one of those folding traps from the South Jetty last Sunday and got 4 keeper dungee's and 3 keeper reds.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:14 am

I got 3 keeper dungees just dropping a ring in the marina.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:55 am

every year the natives supposedly are raking the crab worse than the year before, and every year I catch a ton of crab out there.

It is kinda disgusting the way they treat the bays and the rivers, but there will still be some left over for those of us 10th generation Americans who don't qualify as native.