Need help finding good river guide for older parents

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
KitsapJohn
Petty Officer

Need help finding good river guide for older parents

Post by KitsapJohn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:33 am

So here is my request for your help. My 70 year old father with Parkinsons and 67 year very young mother want to fly out from back east and have a "memory filled" salmon/ trout river fish (not jet boat) before my father cant do it any more. I was thinking maybe two half day drift trips and a bed and breakfast. Parents are the LL Bean types and do enjoy the finer things but are not snobs, Both my parents love to fish but dads ballence isnt what it once was. Im sure this last minute request by mom would be a spring/ summer trip for this next season. I was given Skagit riverfishing guides name but I think something on the penisula would be best for them, but I could be wrong. Any help would be great. thanks, John

EAmon ___hoffman123
Lieutenant

Re: Need help finding good river guide for older parents

Post by EAmon ___hoffman123 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:44 pm

I'll send a PM.
There are some achievements which are never done in the presence of those who hear of them. Catching salmon is one, and working all night is another.
Anthony Trollope

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:44 pm

EAmon ___hoffman123 wrote:I'll send a PM.
yes, thank you. I understand that our forum is a great way for anglers to communicate with each other on this type of stuff. I appreciate your using the PM system and not giving free advertising to guides that have decided not to support the site.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:59 pm

Here is a link to the river guides that support this site...http://www.washingtonlakes.com/Guides.aspx

RottonChum guide service (http://rottenchumguideservice.com/) is a supporter of this site. I've fished with John a few times now. I hired him last season to take my aunt (75) and uncle (70) out for pinks on the Snohomish river. John was great and they both had a great time. My aunt has club foot and they had no mobility issues as John was there to assist at all times. If they are coming next spring you got summer run steel and summer will bring the pinks, they can catch fish until their arms stop working :cheers:
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

KitsapJohn
Petty Officer

Post by KitsapJohn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:03 pm

Thanks guys, keep them coming! I hope to make this a trip that my parents will always remember

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:36 am

You mentioned no jet boats. If you are looking for a float trip for another option you might look into Rottonchum's Cataraft. I've not been on it, but seen it on the river. 18', floor & two seats up front with a lean bar & side bars (John rows from the back). You sit much higher on the water than you would in a DB (high enough you wouldn't get wet from below).
As I said, I have not been in it so not sure about the ease of access and there would only be two seats (if you were planning to go with).
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker