Baker Lake Sockeye

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
rseas
Commander

Baker Lake Sockeye

Post by rseas » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:02 am

The following is from a WDFW News Release dated July 16th. It should be an interesting fishery. We visited the PSE collection facility on Sunday afternoon and the fish they are trucking from the Baker river collection facility to Baker Lake are very bright and I would say 3 to 7 or 8 pounds.

For the first time, Baker Lake
will open for sockeye fishing

OLYMPIA - For the first time, anglers will be able to fish for sockeye salmon in Baker Lake, where the fish are returning in significantly higher numbers than expected. From July 22 until further notice, anglers can retain up to two adult sockeye salmon that exceed 18 inches in length from Baker Dam upstream to the mouth of the Baker River. All other salmon must be released, and no fishing will be allowed between the dam and the log boom at the lower end of the lake. More than 10,000 sockeye have returned to hatchery facilities and artificial spawning beaches on the lake, exceeding this year’s 6,300-fish escapement goal, said Brett Barkdull, a fish biologist for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW).

"People have been waiting a long time to be able to fish for sockeye salmon in Baker Lake," Barkdull said. "This year’s run isn’t huge by historical standards, but we’ve exceeded our goals for both hatchery-reared sockeye and naturally spawning fish needed for production." Harvest opportunities for returning fish will be shared by recreational and tribal fisheries, he said. Barkdull said improving ocean conditions have helped to boost survival rates for young sockeye returning to the watershed. Meanwhile, the installation of a juvenile-collection facility at the upper Baker Dam has improved the transfer of out-migrating smolts downstream to Puget Sound, he said. But the biggest boon to area sockeye fishing may be the completion of a new hatchery facility on Baker Lake, Barkdull said. Starting next year, smolt production in the watershed is expected to increase significantly at the new facility built by Puget Sound Energy as part of a 2008 hydroelectric licensing agreement. "We hope to eventually produce enough sockeye fry to bring 75,000 adult fish back to the watershed," Barkdull said. "We’ve been working toward that goal for a long time and we know what it would mean for sockeye fishing in the watershed."
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

dave g
Warrant Officer

RE:Baker Lake Sockeye

Post by dave g » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:30 am

right on. that is good news. it's not too far of a drive for me to fish up there, but i've never had alot of luck :-({|= . unfortunately i have to go back east for a week then back to work overseas for 3 months or so. i'll be keeping my eye out for the reports tho...
fishing may not be life, but it's a great alternative

soulfishhawk
Petty Officer

Post by soulfishhawk » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:53 am

sounds pretty cool
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:12 pm

I already have a camping/fishing overnight trip planned for next week. Monday and Tuesday sounds like it is a go. Hopefully there are some fish around!!
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:15 pm

Hey Matt. What kind of Lake is Baker Lake. Are motors allowed? should I think more dingy or pontoon better then a 17 footer. Any ideas ? You can pm me ifin you like. You too rseas.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

bcalvert
Lieutenant

Post by bcalvert » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:19 pm

racfish wrote:What kind of Lake is Baker Lake. Are motors allowed?
It is a large lake, motors are ok. Bring the largest boat you have and give those recreational users a run for their money.
Washington State Pond Jumperz
Washington's First Electric Only Bass Club
Hosting five open entry electric motor bass tournaments in 2012.

For the rich, there is therapy. For the rest of us, there is FISHING!

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:30 pm

Big lake, see comparison to Sammamish.
Attachments
Picture_2.png
Picture_2.png (70.56 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
Picture_1.png
Picture_1.png (68.54 KiB) Viewed 3322 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:44 pm

Matt wrote:I already have a camping/fishing overnight trip planned for next week. Monday and Tuesday sounds like it is a go. Hopefully there are some fish around!!
hey matt where you campin up there? i was just wonderin
fish on!

Bruce Nelson
Petty Officer

Post by Bruce Nelson » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:16 pm

We are heading up tommorow morning, should get there around noon. My wife got us a cabin in Rockport so we will fish Friday AM also. I'm going to rig up like I would for Lake Washington or Wenatchee, 0 dodger and bare red hook.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:57 pm

nice, wish I could go. Go with those bare red hooks and dodgers and you should do good, once you find the schools. Let us know how it goes. BTW, don't be afraid if the fish are reddened up a bit, we ate fish from lake Wenatchee years ago that had colored up and they tasted great!
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:30 pm

I have also heard that adding a cured coon stripe shrimp tail to the hooks works well. That's what they have been using over in EWa for the Columbia Sockeye. Let us know how you do tomorrow!!

As for camping, not sure, think we will most likely be boat camping on the far side of the lake.

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:56 am

Please note that if you catch sockeye while participating in the Baker Lake fishery you are required to immediately record your catch and WDFW created a new catch code for the Baker Lake fishery, the code is 825. Multiple game wardens were going from boat to boat conducting on the water checks.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:39 am

Is it a selective gear fishery or can you use barbs? I can't wait to try it out, seems the fish just keep coming! They just reopened the river for more fishing.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:41 am

In the first days of Lk Wa sockeye we used L-9 or a M-2 Flatfish.or even a U-20. They worked real well till we discovered the bare hook deal. Flatfish may be the way too. This is a first for Baker. Isnt there mass stumps in there to use riggers and trolling deep?
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:06 pm

racfish wrote:In the first days of Lk Wa sockeye we used L-9 or a M-2 Flatfish.or even a U-20. They worked real well till we discovered the bare hook deal. Flatfish may be the way too. This is a first for Baker. Isnt there mass stumps in there to use riggers and trolling deep?
rac, what's the "bare hook deal" ?

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:13 pm

Using a bare red Gomakatsu hook behind the Dodger.The red , blue and black hooks resemble the Quill and plankton Sockeye eat.Thats the bare hook deal.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:10 pm

i was up there today. landed 3 lost another 4 so they are in there
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

TomD
Petty Officer

Post by TomD » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:07 pm

Where's the best place to launch??? The Horseshoe Cove campground looks like it would work... Is there a simpler, easier place??? I'd like a dock so I don't have to beach if possible!!!

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:12 pm

racfish wrote:Using a bare red Gomakatsu hook behind the Dodger.The red , blue and black hooks resemble the Quill and plankton Sockeye eat.Thats the bare hook deal.
I'd hate to say it but I really do not think the fish are striking the bare hooks.... they are taking a swing at the dodger out of aggression and incidentally hooking themselves on the trailing hooks. Flossing.

Check out this video:
http://muttleycrewfishing.com/web_media ... erring.wmv

Notice the frequent strikes at the dodger, as well as the frequent erratic movements around the bait that could have easily resulted in a hookup. Right at 34 seconds is where you watch the fish floss himself. The fish takes the herring, then comes back and smacks the flasher resulting in a hookup. Neat stuff.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:32 am

Matt wrote:
racfish wrote:Using a bare red Gomakatsu hook behind the Dodger.The red , blue and black hooks resemble the Quill and plankton Sockeye eat.Thats the bare hook deal.
I'd hate to say it but I really do not think the fish are striking the bare hooks.... they are taking a swing at the dodger out of aggression and incidentally hooking themselves on the trailing hooks. Flossing.

Check out this video:
http://muttleycrewfishing.com/web_media ... erring.wmv

Notice the frequent strikes at the dodger, as well as the frequent erratic movements around the bait that could have easily resulted in a hookup. Right at 34 seconds is where you watch the fish floss himself. The fish takes the herring, then comes back and smacks the flasher resulting in a hookup. Neat stuff.
you bring up a good point here, if sockeye are attacking the flasher and then getting hooked like that fish then would it make sense that you can catch them on a lure or bait?
My rod and reel, they comfort me.
"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see."