Is nobody fishing A9???

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
EmptyBoxes
Angler

RE:Is nobody fishing A9???

Post by EmptyBoxes » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:51 am

Spent a couple hours on Wednesday, the 22nd, and Thursday, the 23rd, slinging at PNP. No action on the 22nd. Thursday morning just seconds after stepping into the water a large fish (all I saw was the belly) jumped entirely out of the water about 10-15' away. Caught a shaker that shook the hook a couple of feet away from shore.

Used #2 blue/white and #2 1/2 chrome/green BuzzBombs. I tried a spinner/hoochie contraption I made for a few minutes. Lots of birds just a bit further than my casting made me think there was bait but I couldn't get anything nearer to shore.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:41 pm

I trolled the salt on Wed, Shipwreck and Browns Bay, 6:45 to 1:00, no hits, no runs, no errors, no fish. I didnt see a net out. Next time out I think I'll troll the tidewater Sno, launch at Langus or Rotary. How's the color on the lower Sno with all this rain? Any hints on where/how to fish the lower river. I have a prop boat so I cant go above Snohomish. Thinking about trolling plugs or spinners with a prawn.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:33 am

The water is perfect on the Snoho right now. It was chocolate milk on Thursday, Wednesday was considerable better by about 2 foot of vis, and I assume by now it is probably just right. The fish in the lower stuff from Langus up to the city have been very sparcly distributed and difficult to coax into biting. I have talked to a few people that have been getting one here and there, but they aren't holding in any numbers in there. The mouth of the pilchuck has been REALLY good, but is only really accessible with a pump, there is one hairy corner right after snoho when you go under the railroad bridge that could/would/has eat a prop. I have heard that the guides have been SLAYING them from Pilchuck on up to 522 the last week, mostly on dicknites on anchor, and some fish being take on trolled plugs. If you fish the lower section the first corner up after the "no wake" signs posted on the left in the guys yard (about a mile or 2 from rotary) has been holding more fish than anywhere else I have seen in that stretch, troll along the riprap starting from the no wake area and head upstream, then cut across the river once the riprap ends and sandbar begins, toll up through that corner then turn around and head back down trolling with the current at 2.5-3mph.

Hope this helps :-"
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:25 pm

Thank you for the info. I drove to Rotary yesterday with the wife just to get out of the house. Took a drive and I wound up driving upstream from Snohomish and stopped at Douglas Bar. Ended up joining the Douglas Bar "Club" for 30 bucks (senior price). That will give me a place to plunk for winter Steelhead. When you join up the gal gives you an ID card and a key to the gate. I talked to the guys plunking at Douglas Bar, nothing going on.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:46 pm

I gave the Sno a shot yesterday, posted the following report. Tough year for Silvers, I've never had so much trouble getting a Fall Silver.

Launched my prop Seahawk at Langus 6:45 and ran up to just below the town of Snohomish trolled Wiggle Warts in red and chartruse and spinners for awhile. Ran up above town and very carefully using my kicker ran up above the Pilchuck to that half mile stretch where it is pretty deep, 12 - 16 feet. Trolled that for 4 hours witrh 4-5 other boats and a few bankees. Saw a few roll and that was it. Nobody else had anything either. Getting kind of frustrating. 4 trips in the salt and now one in the river and three fish total.