Lake WA Crappies (Pics)

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
eddie1681
Angler

RE:Lake WA Crappies (Pics)

Post by eddie1681 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:47 pm

Slabking wrote:Quick report for lake Wa. We hit the lake at 10:30am looking for crappies up shallow. After trolling cranks and jigs for about two hours with not much to show for it we decided to hit a hole I have not fished in about three seasons. We starting working jigs in 17' of water bouncing the jigs off sunken pilings. It started to pay off in short order.

By 3pm we had 41 fish in the boat and not one was under 12". The smallest fish weighted in at 1.2lbs and the big girl for the day was 15.5" and 2.2lbs. Not a bad way to spend the day :D. We tossed about 60 fish back into the lake so they could spawn.

These fish are not ready to spawn yet...maybe another two weeks or so. We're going to try it again this morning so I'll have another report. Tight lines fellas.

Very nice catch Slabking!!

What is are you using?

Slabking
Petty Officer

Post by Slabking » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:16 pm

I like to use Southern Pro jigs but any small tube jig will work. All white seems to work best on Washington while a yellow body white tail works best on lake Union most days.

Need to know more about crappie in Washington? Washington Crappie Page

hookorcrook
Warrant Officer

Post by hookorcrook » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:25 pm

Slabking wrote: Image

I like to use Southern Pro jigs but any small tube jig will work. All white seems to work best on Washington while a yellow body white tail works best on lake Union most days.

Hey Slab

I live REALLY close to Lake Union. Where would you recommend fishing from shore off of Westlake area? I guess that would be the South end?

Thanks,
Suzanne
Suzanne

eddie1681
Angler

Post by eddie1681 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:48 pm

Slabking wrote: Image

Slabking: I don't have a boat , where can I go fish at in lake washington for crappies or any other lakes without a boat

What color jig head do you use?

Thanks
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slabking
Petty Officer

Post by Slabking » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:38 am

eddie1681 wrote:
Slabking: I don't have a boat , where can I go fish at in lake washington for crappies or any other lakes without a boat

What color jig head do you use?

Thanks

The far north end of Washington is a good place to fish from the bank. There are more but you'll have the best luck up there. I don't like to use colored jigheads either. It seems that the "tubestyle" heads will out fish the regular jigheads 3 to 1. Try to find the 1/32oz heads that can be inserted completely into the jig.

hookemdanno wrote:
Hey Slab

I live REALLY close to Lake Union. Where would you recommend fishing from shore off of Westlake area? I guess that would be the South end?

Thanks,
Suzanne
All of the docks in the south end hold crappies. Some are better than others but I've caught them from every dock down there. The long dock in the SW corner is a good place to start. Night (from about 9 until 11pm) fishing is better then during the day but they'll bite in the day time too. Good luck.

eddie1681
Angler

Post by eddie1681 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:38 pm

Thank you Slabking

I am going to go give it a try.

I was at Sammamish but didn't get anything

What is your fishing method witht eh jigs?

Here is what I use, a all with beaver tail jig and float with about 2-3ft of the lead.

I cast it and jig it around

Is that the right way to fish?

Thanks

smokum
Petty Officer

Post by smokum » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:27 pm

Slab, are you fishing those tubes and jigs under a float, or just tossing and jigging?
Never let the TRUTH get in the way of a good fish story!!

Slabking
Petty Officer

Post by Slabking » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:22 pm

smokum wrote:Slab, are you fishing those tubes and jigs under a float, or just tossing and jigging?
Fixed floats, slip floats, and tightlining. Just depends on how deep the fish are and if they are holding tight to cover. If they are hanging tight to cover I'll use a float if they are less than 7' down, any other time I like to tightline for them(casting out and slowly reeling in the jig).

From late fall to late winter the crappies in Lake Union and Washington will suspended over humps anywere from 12' to 22' feet or so down from the surface. We'll use tiny slip floats with an all white tube for them during those times.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:40 am

Thanks for the link on crappie fishing.Very interesting.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Return to “Walleye and Panfish Sponsored By Mar Don Resort”