Advise??

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
R0cky23
Warrant Officer

Advise??

Post by R0cky23 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:50 pm

So I just started bass fishing last spring. I have learned a great deal about bass fishing from my dad and fellow Washington Lakes members, unfortunately I still have not hooked into a bass. So I am starting to do more research and I was wondering if anyone has some helpful tricks of the trade. Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.:colors:
Yo Adrian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
-Rocky Balboa

"Age ain't nothin"
-Rocky Balboa

"My momma said that life was like a box of chocolates, ya never know what ya gonna get".
-Forrest Gump

Jordan
Lieutenant

RE:Advise??

Post by Jordan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:10 pm

What all have you tried so far? Where have you been fishing?
Ozzie

"Do what you like. Like what you do."

<><

tagwatson360
Commander

Post by tagwatson360 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:28 pm

Hey Rocky,

When an angler first starts bass fishing, it's all about building confidence. Nothing builds confidence faster than catching fish. Don't worry about the size of the fish, just focus on trying to catch numbers of bass initially. I would focus on smaller bodies of water that are known for producing good numbers of largemouth.

I would also recommend starting off with smaller lures and lighter tackle. These are some examples of lures you want to have in your box:

* 3/16 and 1/4 oz. spinnerbaits
* smaller crankbaits - shallow and medium divers
* floating Rapalas
* 3" and 4" grubs
* a selection of 4" straight tail and curly tail worms
* 1/8, 3/16 and 1/4 oz. jigs
* small lizards, tubes, craws and creature baits
* 4" Yamamoto Senkos

Terminal tackle should include:

* bullet weights - 1/16, 1/8, 3/16 and 1/4 oz.
* dropshot weights - 1/8, 3/16 and 1/4 oz.
* split shot (several sizes)
* Roboworm rebarb hooks - size 1, 1/0 and 2/0
* Gamakatsu split shot dropshot hooks
* EWG worm hooks - 1, 1/0, 2/0

I understand everyone is on a budget but one area you do not want to EVER skimp on is line and hooks. Buy quality line and premium hooks. I would also recommend using a thin diameter braid when first starting out fishing jigs and Texas-rigged plastics to help develop your sensitivity, bite detection and to acheive positive hooksets.

There is an abundance of information online which will tell you how to rig and fish these lures.

LEARN TO TIE GOOD KNOTS - Practice, practice, practice. Learn to tie a San Diego Jam knot for fluorocarbon, a Palomar knot for copolymer & monofilament and a Double Palomar for braid.

The largemouth will position themselves differently everyday. Fish in and around cover with deep water access nearby and you will be around fish. Remember to maintain your stealth at all times and fish very slowly at first. Once you become more comfortable with reading water and patterning fish, only then should you speed up your search and presentations. If you have confidence in an area, work it thoroughly and deliberately.

PRACTICE YOUR CASTING - You will increase your chances of success tremendously by learning to cast accurately and by making a quiet entry into the water. I can't stress this enough. Also, practice pitching and skipping which frequently come in handy while bass fishing.

Lastly, there is no replacement for time on the water. Have fun, be patient and pay attention to everything around you while maintaining focus at the same time. You will catch 'em.

Good luck.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:39 pm

Tag is arguably the best Bass fisherman in the state of Washington. Listen carefully and do exactly what he suggests. I'd suggest some lakes down in your area, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow. Too busy to try and list them all.

But you can start with Harts, Tanwax, Ohop, Kapowsin. Some of my favorites in that area.

You can also find a small pocket 'book' by the name of 'Pan Fishing Lakes of Washington State'. Or a name close to that. I'll try to find my copy to get the title correct. It should be right over on the shelf.
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:44 pm

Can't find that little book, but I have a few books. One I'd recomend is 'Catch More Bass' byt Stan Fagerstrom.

library of congress catalog number - 77-174881

international standard book number - 0-87004-232-7
Tom.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:48 pm

Amx wrote:Tag is arguably the best Bass fisherman in the state of Washington. Listen carefully and do exactly what he suggests. I'd suggest some lakes down in your area, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow. Too busy to try and list them all.

But you can start with Harts, Tanwax, Ohop, Kapowsin. Some of my favorites in that area.

You can also find a small pocket 'book' by the name of 'Pan Fishing Lakes of Washington State'. Or a name close to that. I'll try to find my copy to get the title correct. It should be right over on the shelf.
good book, I have it
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:50 pm

start slow fish small baits 3 or 4 inch senkos and fish shade all the time. fish with as many people as possible. we can tell you all day long how to catch a bass but it wont help that much. you need lots of time on the water.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:03 pm

One paperback book I have is ;

'Northwest Bass and Panfish Guide'

Published by The Western Bass Club, Inc.

http://www.westernbassclub.com/
Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:40 pm

Another paperback book that is usefull is;

Pocket Guide to Washington Trout Lakes. no. 2

A Fishing Holes publication.

osprey press

114 ave c

snohomish, wa 98290

maps of lakes, how to get to them and the fish in them.
Tom.

crappiemaster
Lieutenant

Post by crappiemaster » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:22 pm

Early in the spring, I have the best luck with tubes, slowly crawling them across the bottom. You have to get use to the bite, because it isn't as aggressive as later on in the year and sometimes very hard to tell. Good luck and be patient.

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:40 am

You have every thing you need to get the job done. Where and how? That takes water time. Every Lk is different, but are all the same when it comes to bass. So don't over think. Bass eat living things so work your lure so they think what you have is alive. They love cover. Most bass are in or around cover. Always start on the NW side of any Lk. Fish docks,fallen trees,very good! At times I will fish a Lk and not until my second pass around will I get fish. Watch for the Crains and Otters they will let you know where the bait fish and food are. Also a good place to start. If this dont help kick your old man in the seat area.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:42 am

tag mentioned a ton of different attacks. last year was my first year of really intentionally going after bass, and one thing I learned was that I like to have 2-4 fishing poles rigged up in my boat. If I am certain their are fish in an area or if I'm just not ready to hit the next hole, I'll change up my tackle/approach a couple times before moving on.

I really don't have enough experience to give good advice, I'd just say don't get stuck on one lure or approach. be able to mix it up. When I go with people who aren't catching anything and I pull in a decent one, they think its luck. But all I'm doing is the stuff I've learned on this forum.

Desertcreek
Warrant Officer

Post by Desertcreek » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:34 pm

I was in your exact position not long ago. I had the opportunity to fish with a couple of guys who had caught fish. They weren't great anglers but they had caught bass. They each had a couple of things they felt confident in and they did them all day and soon I was catching bass. It was a huge relief. Those same guys are still doing the same things and they are not great fishermen by any stretch of the imagination but they knew more than I did at the time and it was a great launch pad for my learning.

After you have some success and gain some confidence your imagination and curiosity will propel you through the learing curve. You will (hopefully) want to catch more bass and that will lead to wanting to catch bigger bass and then you will want to try new techniques. The good news (for all of us) is the best bass fishing of the entire year is right around the corner.

Go buy all that stuff Tag listed and use it all as many times as you possibly can. Whenever you get the opportunity to fish with somone who has caught bass before go with them. Try to spend as many days on the water as you can during May and June. Those 2 months are great fish catching months and being on the water during those 2 months is going to give you the best opportunity to catch a bass.

Don't be afraid to become a little Obsessive Compulsive. I left off the D because I don't consider it a disorder!

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:35 pm

Dude, fish with me more! LOL Kidding aside, I think Tags list is spot on and as what the other said. I found for myself...time on the water.
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

R0cky23
Warrant Officer

Post by R0cky23 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:43 pm

Wow I really appreciate all of your advise that you have given me. Thanks :colors: :compress:
Yo Adrian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
-Rocky Balboa

"Age ain't nothin"
-Rocky Balboa

"My momma said that life was like a box of chocolates, ya never know what ya gonna get".
-Forrest Gump

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:58 pm

Keep at it ROcky23. You got good ppl around you including you dad. I say more time on the water is all it will take. Keep tagging along with those floating guys and they'll help you stick something. I would be willing to meet you guys at "The Lake" (your dad will know) and we will for sure get you on a couple bass. This week is looking good. Expecially this weekend. Aaron, Jerry and Trent what do you say? Let's get this kid on some bass.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:19 pm

I soooo want to be there when he catches his first. Say when!
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:33 pm

Sunday, Tanwax, everybody be there 1/2 hour before first light.

Ok, 9 am.

R0cky23 can take turns riding in each person's boat. 1/2 hour per boat. Draw playing cards for order of his ride along. Provided I get the new water pump for my outboard by then. Yes his Dad can ride along also.

There should be a Phoenix boat demo day Sat. provided they get the new motors on the 2 boats this week, so I can't be there Sat.
Tom.

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:37 pm

:shaking: Water temps are still a bit cool. [cool] I'll hit Lk in the woods. Being shallow it may be warmer?[woot] You bass guys are all the same,[flapper] CAN NEVER GET ENOUGH ![lol] GIGGIDY GIGGIDY GOO!!
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:11 am

Hey Nathan - have you ever gone bass fishing without your dad being there? I'm thinking your old man is putting the jinx on ya :-"
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)