Is It True That It Is Illegal For One Person To Fish With Two Poles?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:Is It True That It Is Illegal For One Person To Fish With Two Poles?

Post by racfish » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:57 pm

I' ve lost some nice salmon fishing two poles in Puget Sound some years ago.With two people it wasnt bad but alone fishing two poles wasnt productive.I never tried it in the fresh water. I'm more into sport with fresh water fishing.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:34 pm

I could see two poles fishing for trout. Set one on the bottom with power bait or worm and the other workin a bobber or maybe spinner. I could see how it could help out to figure whats biting faster. Or even just to see if ya can bring two in at once lol. If its going to help support our fisheries and hatcheries then we should try and help them out. I seen someone say they fish for bass only and there is no bass hatcheries. But you have to think its not just for hatcheries. Its for the dept of wild life period. I for one enjoy the pacific nw and all it offers us here. I dont mind paying to help it out.
More fish please!

natenez
Warrant Officer

Post by natenez » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:37 pm

I've fished 2 rods in CO. In my experience is it doesn't make a huge difference.

If fishing is good then you have a hard time keeping both lines in the water.
If fishing isn't good then you aren't catching fish twice as fast. :)

Two rods can help narrow in on what depth/lure/bait the fish are biting on that day. But fishing w/ friends does lets you do that too - and more entertaining.

If you want to set one up with bait then look at circle hooks. They actually work rather well with the fish hooking themselves - at least when bottom fishing. Under a bobber they seem a bit more hit and miss.
Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:14 pm

Between my wife and myself we're thinking trolling 3 setups while fishing for Walleye. 1 sraight off the back and one on either side, plugs and double worm spinners. Will certainly take a little wider trolling path, and be able to work 3 different depth ranges. As for trout I dont usually fish for them, but on a non Bass day may try it out. Every once in awhile ya cant beat a relaxing day trolling on your favorite lake! I'll support our hatcheries!!
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cast first, worry later.

Slick_Rick
Petty Officer

Post by Slick_Rick » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:04 pm

I'm gonna buy it and support our hatcheries! Can't let them cut back on our hatchery fish the way with the economy is! This is the way we all get away from the wives! I will only use it for catfishing, at times it can be very slow!!:-$
"If your not fishing your not catching"

steve.carn
Petty Officer

Post by steve.carn » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:58 pm

Think of this way: One rod for 'bait and wait' (catifsh, carp, stocker trout), the other rod you can be actively hunting predator fish with lures (bass, sunfish, etc). It's much more fun that way, lets you target multiple species plus increase your hookup odds too!

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:06 am

[quote="Dustin07"]wait, there are other sites?

I had a friend who was convinced it was illegal to even take a 2nd pole in the boat with you. I can't stand fishing with less than 2 or 3 poles (not in the water at the same time). I always have at least 2 or 3 rigged differently so I can try something without constantly cutting and retying line.

quote]

Dumb but true story. One day about 6 years ago 2 Edmonds Police Officers/Wardens were checking licenses, hooks, and rods. One person had 2 rods with them - fishing with only one. And they were going to write the guy up for having two poles. Dumbfounded/stupid I said but the rule book says you can't fish with two poles... doesn't say anything about bringing 2 poles. In the end they didn't write the person up ...... but....

As for the 2 rod permit... if I had a boat and it was available for Salmon I'd think about it. Most of the lakes I fish weren't listed.

jtrapier
Petty Officer

Post by jtrapier » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:03 pm

BentRod wrote:
Mike Carey wrote:..........I know there are guys that think this site is too "wimpy" or "feel good" but you know, if you want the cursing, angry exchanges, and bikini shots (not that I haven't been known to look at them, LOL) there are other sites that are OK with that. It's just we are trying to aim for a different experience here.
That's ok, my wife says I don't look good in a bikini anyway. 8-[ [glare] [woot]

Mike, the site is great. I prefer keeping the negative stuff in check and the site clean. Job well done guys.....now if you'll just tell me where you found those bikini shots.....[biggrin] :-"

The first that comes to mind would be piscatorial pursuits, the bouncing, shaking, and unbuttoning avatars are pretty common there