Is It True That It Is Illegal For One Person To Fish With Two Poles?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
nickbell
Commander

Is It True That It Is Illegal For One Person To Fish With Two Poles?

Post by nickbell » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:13 pm

Thats what my friend said, but im sure hes wrong. He seemed so sure though. Is it illegal? With all of these laws they have these days it seems like something that would be illegal. Im pretty dumb though, i dont know rules that well.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Is It True That It Is Illegal For One Person To Fish With Two Poles?

Post by Amx » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:34 pm

Depends on which lake, and whether or not the person has purchased the special license that is needed to fish with 2 poles. It is a new rule that started a few months ago, Sept. or so.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

Big D

Post by Big D » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:57 pm

August 10, 2009

Two-pole fishing option starts Aug. 15 on most state lakes

OLYMPIA — Recreational anglers will soon have the option of using two poles while fishing in most Washington lakes under a new law passed by the state Legislature.

Effective Aug. 15, the two-pole endorsement option will apply to the majority of the 8,000 fishing lakes, ponds and reservoirs in Washington state. Endorsements will be available Aug. 13 from authorized license dealers, listed at http://wdfw.wa.gov/lic/vendors/vendors.htm, or from the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) at http://fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov/.

Anglers wishing to take advantage of the new opportunity will be required to pay a $20 fee ($5 for resident seniors) for the endorsement, which is in addition to the recreational fishing license issued by WDFW. The total cost for the endorsement will be $24.50 ($6.50 for seniors), which includes a 10 percent state surcharge, a 10 percent transaction fee and a $.50 dealer fee.

Revenue generated from the new fees will go toward hatchery fish production.

Because approximately 145 lakes and ponds will be excluded from the two-pole endorsement program, anglers should check the regulations carefully before they go fishing, said Phil Anderson, WDFW interim director. The list of excluded lakes and ponds is available online at http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/twopole/. Saltwater fisheries and fisheries on rivers and streams will also be excluded.

“Our department priority is to protect and conserve Washington’s fish populations, while providing fishing opportunities for anglers,” Anderson said. “The new legislation will help us achieve both by improving prospects for catching hatchery trout and warm-water fish in the state’s lakes, while excluding areas where populations are more vulnerable,” Anderson said.

Excluded waters are those with conservation issues, such as waters containing threatened or endangered species, or lakes designated for specific management objectives, such as juvenile-only fishing lakes.

Anderson said the department will also evaluate additional areas and situations where two-pole fishing may be allowed in the future. He encouraged the public to provide comments on the new law during WDFW’s 2010-11 sportfishing rule-making process in early September.

When the new endorsement option goes into effect Aug. 15, all fishing regulations, such as size, species and daily limits, will still apply. Anglers with a valid two-pole endorsement may use up to three hooks on each line.

“Having a second pole may help anglers catch their daily limit of fish faster, but the limit and other regulations will remain the same,” Anderson said. For more information, visit WDFW’s website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/, or call WDFW’s licensing department at (360) 902-2464.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:58 pm

nickbell wrote: Im pretty dumb though, i dont know rules that well.
Don't be so hard on your self, regulations are sometimes hard to understand. Remember armed with a
computer, the internet is a bottomless pit of information that is fun to browse. You can research all your
fishing questions there! Its fun!!!

Nick a while back there was a "Topic 2 Poles" found in the "Off topic section" good exchange of info
between members there. The key is you better know NOT "all" lakes are included, there is a list of
exempted lakes you can get online WDFW.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cast first, worry later.

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:01 am

It is stated above that the money from the two rod endorcment will go to hatchery fish production.
As we only have one warm water species raised in hatcheries, were does that leave the rest of them?
Bass, Crappie, Perch, Walleye and Bluegill are not going to benefit as they are not raised in hatcheries.
Something to think about.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:30 am

#-o WHAT!! You can only fish with one rod! That sucks!:-" So I guss you can't use a trot line. For those that don't know, a trot line is a long string with as many hooks as you would like to catch as many fish as you want. Tied off on a tree or bank streched across the body of water your fishing. For bait you can use crawfish, gold fish,bluegill ect. This will produce many fish. This was done to catch cat fish, bass big bluegill ect.. Another way is to jug fish, Tie a strong string about 1 foot long to a milk jug with a hook use the same baits as the trot line. set at least 20 or so and when the fish eats your bait the milk jug will set the hook on the hit. This is loud and can be heard on the water with a splashing sound. You just go over to the jug and harvest your catch. Fishing this way is wrong in the state of Wa? Why! Others who I will not speak of can use a net! But god forgive you use two fishing poles to catch 5 fish.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:39 am

'trot line' is what we called them.:-) For catfishing.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:54 am

Your right my bad.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:03 am

Trent Hale wrote:Your right my bad.

You were using it to catch trout, right? :bom: JK
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:47 pm

Trent Hale wrote:Fishing this way is wrong in the state of Wa? Why!
Yep, 'fraid so. Why? Because that's the law in WA. Using two rods is legal for freshwater (not allowed in saltwater) fishing if you've purchased the additional endorsement, but if you don't have the endorsement you are limited to one rod for catching your limit of whatever species you're targeting. :-"
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

jtrapier
Petty Officer

Post by jtrapier » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:51 pm

The answers to all of the questions in this forum (2 poles, trot line) are quickly and easily found in the 2009-2010 Sport Fishing Regulation Pamphlet that every fisherman in the state should have in his tackle box. If you don't have one you should get one, or at least check out the website before you head out. "I didn't know" is not a valid excuse when you get busted doing something illegal, especially when the pamphlet is free and you have to walk right by it to purchase your fishing license.

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:08 pm

I've read the reg's and pages on WDFW's website, but it doesn't specifically say when the endorsement expires. Since it was activated in August, is the endorsement good for a year? Or does it expire in March when the regular license expires? Anybody know? If so, I'll wait until the new license is in effect before purchasing an endorsement to get the most for my money. OR is it a one-time purchase good for life (yeah, like that's gonna happen, but one can hope).

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:36 pm

I would "assume" it lasts for the season, just like the license would last for the season. I will say this, I agree that guys, you really need to know the regs when you go fishing and NOT depend on any web site posts as your source of understanding regs. I know the regs can be confusing. That said, I don't mind the question being asked either. If you have to worry about being jumped on for asking a question it doesn't make for a very pleasant online experience.

I know there are guys that think this site is too "wimpy" or "feel good" but you know, if you want the cursing, angry exchanges, and bikini shots (not that I haven't been known to look at them, LOL) there are other sites that are OK with that. It's just we are trying to aim for a different experience here.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Coastfishin
Commander

Post by Coastfishin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:44 pm

The two pole endorsment is good for the season it was purchased. If purchased for the 2009-20010 season it will expire in March, same as the regular license.

nickbell
Commander

Post by nickbell » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:17 am

Ok i guess it helps to go over the regs. I completely missed the part about two poles
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:51 am

Mike Carey wrote:..........I know there are guys that think this site is too "wimpy" or "feel good" but you know, if you want the cursing, angry exchanges, and bikini shots (not that I haven't been known to look at them, LOL) there are other sites that are OK with that. It's just we are trying to aim for a different experience here.
That's ok, my wife says I don't look good in a bikini anyway. 8-[ [glare] [woot]

Mike, the site is great. I prefer keeping the negative stuff in check and the site clean. Job well done guys.....now if you'll just tell me where you found those bikini shots.....[biggrin] :-"

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:47 am

wait, there are other sites?

I had a friend who was convinced it was illegal to even take a 2nd pole in the boat with you. I can't stand fishing with less than 2 or 3 poles (not in the water at the same time). I always have at least 2 or 3 rigged differently so I can try something without constantly cutting and retying line.

I'll buy the 2 pole endorsement this year. Especially for lazy lake days. cast power bait to one side for meat to toss on the smoker while throwing jiggs out the other side of the boat. I've been planning this for a while now...

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:35 pm

Coastfishin wrote:The two pole endorsment is good for the season it was purchased. If purchased for the 2009-20010 season it will expire in March, same as the regular license.
Right you are, the endorsement is good for the same time period as your license. If you bought one in August, it expires the end of March.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:40 pm

Mike Carey wrote:I would "assume" it lasts for the season, just like the license would last for the season. I will say this, I agree that guys, you really need to know the regs when you go fishing and NOT depend on any web site posts as your source of understanding regs. I know the regs can be confusing. That said, I don't mind the question being asked either. If you have to worry about being jumped on for asking a question it doesn't make for a very pleasant online experience.
This is why I never answer any regulation questions what-so-ever...or post any myself. This is not the place for me to find answers for something I should either know or have to research myself. I take that responsibility on myself and place it on no one else. Just my policy that works great for me! :study:
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kfisherman
Petty Officer

Post by Kfisherman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:34 pm

I will be purchasing the two-pole endorsement on my license. The money goes to the hatcheries which is a big plus..even thought I usually only fish for spiny rays. It's still going to a good cause for wildlife and sportsman.

I don't think I will fish with two poles all the time, but having that option there will be good. In case I want to throw out a worm, and use another pole to crank with.