Using Divers for Fresh and Saltwater

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
trout trakr
Angler

Using Divers for Fresh and Saltwater

Post by trout trakr » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:07 pm

I don't have a downrigger and can't afford one right now. How effective are divers for both fresh and saltwater? Obviously not as good as a downrigger otherwise no one would spend the money on a downrigger LOL. But, I am thinking about heading out to Sammamish either tomorrow or Saturday for cutts and need to get down deep I would imagine. So, what type??? Brand??? Can they be used for Lake Trout/salmon fishing??? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jbball50
Commander

RE:Using Divers for Fresh and Saltwater

Post by jbball50 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:22 pm

We always used Luhr Jensen Deep Six dipsy divers back when we did salmon fishing out in the sound and didn't have downriggers yet. If anything, you can always just use a 2 ounce banana weight out there at the lake, works just as well.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:15 pm

if i were u i would use a jet diver not as much stress on the rod for lakes
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

medic1
Petty Officer

Post by medic1 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:35 am

Each one has their place. There are a lot of times in which a diver is the better option, like when fishing on a changing bottom. God help you if your downrigger ball gets hung up. There are some places that we fish divers off the back and downriggers off the side and they preform equally well. That being said there is some technique to fishing a diver, you have to know how much line to let out to get down to a certain depth. Good luck.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:56 pm

I have downriggers on my boat but in some cases I use the Dipsy Divers. When trolling near bridges with long cables on anchors I dont want to wrap my DR cable on the tethers,I use the divers.Same goes for lakes with loads of deadheads and snags.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

tight lines
Petty Officer

Post by tight lines » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:56 pm

use a jet diver but rig it on a slider setup on your main line. i use them alot at mineral lake with very good success.
If you love something set it free if it don't come back hunt it down and kill it.