How do you keep your worm bait fresh?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
MikeFishes
Commander

How do you keep your worm bait fresh?

Post by MikeFishes » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:46 pm

Okay, so I don't bother digging in my yard for worms as bait, I just stop off at a store and buy some. But most of the time, I use only a few of them. I'd like ot keep them so that I can use them again, but I don't know what to use to keep them fresh, and where to keep that. Any suggestions?

dbaker
Petty Officer

RE:How do you keep your worm bait fresh?

Post by dbaker » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:50 pm

well, I have a second fridge, so I stick the worms in the fridge.

Kevin K
Warrant Officer

Post by Kevin K » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:02 pm

I do the same as dbaker, and they seem to stay very lively. However, any dark cool place would be good for a few days. Just don't make the mistake of storing them in the main fridge without getting permission first or at least advising the wife or significant other first (been there, done that, bad idea).

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:54 pm

you could always make a small worm box too - there are plans for those on the net everywhere - some people use them as "mini-composts" under their sink.

beerman1981
Commander

Post by beerman1981 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:03 pm

yep, the refrigerator trick works great, just like baker suggested. I used to do that, until my wife put the big KABOSH on worms in the fridge:-(
Remember two things, love Washington and leave only your footprints behind!

quickfish12
Petty Officer

Post by quickfish12 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:33 pm

I used to harvest and sell worms to a distributor. We used to buy a "worm box" it can be purchased at most large sports stores. You can also buy worm bedding, it has directions for adding water and mixing. Once your worms are in their new home turn their container every few days and they can keep for a long time.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:21 pm

Beerman!
You let her get away with that? I keep mine in the fridge right next to the beer! They like it there. When I'm out they're in the cooler next to the beer. If I take any home I just give them a little bit of anything left over and they just eat it up. Feed'em and they last for weeks.

PS twenty years of scary stuff in the fridge. She's broken in now. Take it slow and easy. o:)
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

felts_jf
Warrant Officer

Post by felts_jf » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:55 am

Take you a 5 or 10 gallon aquarium and feel it half full of good dark dirt and keep it moist and cool and out of the direct sunlight. About once or twice a week dump some used damp coffe growns in there and turn the dirt and they will stay for a while.
'
Jason
The boat doesnt catch fish it's the person. Rippin Lips

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:29 am

They make commercial wormboxes too, mostly made of styrofoam. Big R over here has a decent one that comes in two sizes. They also sell the "worm bedding". THe boxes usually open on two sides so that you can flip it over to access the worms that go to the bottom instead of having to dig for them. My wife doesnt mind me keeping worms inthe fridge long as they dont spoil lol.....she just really hates it when I forget about them in the trunk of her car ROFL. :-&
Owner, Bakercraft Lures - http://www.bakercraftlures.com/

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:08 pm

I am all over this thread. I do keep mine if the frige. My wife has been pissed about that for some time, but a long as you keep some of that old condiment stuff that you never use around the container she will forget about it. (You think I'm being funny,, I'm not at all) I mean who wants to buy another fridge?
I think reading this is def. going to be the straw that throws me over to making a worm been. The Fred Meyers and such sell the fattest wormies, but they stop stocking them usually about this time. Worming in a bin is actually pretty fun if you have kids and such. they love the coffee grounds.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:12 pm

quadradomus wrote:I am all over this thread. I do keep mine if the frige. My wife has been pissed about that for some time, but a long as you keep some of that old condiment stuff that you never use around the container she will forget about it. (You think I'm being funny,, I'm not at all) I mean who wants to buy another fridge?
I think reading this is def. going to be the straw that throws me over to making a worm been. The Fred Meyers and such sell the fattest wormies, but they stop stocking them usually about this time. Worming in a bin is actually pretty fun if you have kids and such. they love the coffee grounds.
Yeah, I just might have to get something to turn into a wormory. I don't drink coffee, but that's not much of a problem around here. I know just where to get buckets of coffee grounds. I'll have to try it out. Now just to find one of the above containers.

Should I dig and burry it to keep it cool? I have a spot I think I can do that.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:56 pm

I just took an old plastic recycle bin (about 25" wide by 20" long by 15" tall) Threw in mulch till it was about 1/2 full, topped it with wet newspaper and stuck it between my fence and garden shed where there is never any sun. Throw coffee grounds in once in awhile then I can just go out and tip it one way grab em, tip it the other, grab em and off I go. fancy - no, cheap - yes :cheers: (of course I am on the west side, a little cooler weather over here).
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:06 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:I just took an old plastic recycle bin (about 25" wide by 20" long by 15" tall) Threw in mulch till it was about 1/2 full, topped it with wet newspaper and stuck it between my fence and garden shed where there is never any sun. Throw coffee grounds in once in awhile then I can just go out and tip it one way grab em, tip it the other, grab em and off I go. fancy - no, cheap - yes :cheers: (of course I am on the west side, a little cooler weather over here).
Now, that's a good idea for those recycle bins that we were left with. I still have my 3, I definately have one of those. Just need to get some good dirt (none around me, all rocks).

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:59 pm

I bought a styrofoam container about 3 years ago, dug a hole in my flower bed ( out of the sun and weather) that was big enough to almost bury it. Just left the top available to open easy. I buy the worm bedding that you just add water to and the worms thrive summer and winter. I use to keep them in the fridge but they might freeze and they were nasty. I add more bedding when the night crawlers (bought at Wal-Mart) and worms (I dug up) have turned the bedding into worm castings.
I saw a man on TV who made a worm box in his basement then took the worm castings added water and did some other stuff to it and sells it on the internet. I just put my worms castings in my flowerbeds or container planters.
I am thinking about gettin' another box and keeping the worms separate from the night crawlers.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:07 am

A few years ago I found a Motel that was remodling.
They had those little refer and microwave combos that they were taking out.
I bought the whole unit for $50.00.
The oven went in the camper and the fridge is in the shop.
It holds all my livebait,worms,leeches,crawdads and maggots.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

Paul & Sammi
Petty Officer

Post by Paul & Sammi » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:38 am

I realized we would soon go broke buying night crawlers and worms since it is our favorite bait to use for nearly everything. Then I discovered that my lawn I spend so much time mowing and watering anyway, is a free bait store. I water heavily for a couple hours before dark, then wait an hour or so and crawl around with my flashlight grabbing up night crawlers. Last night I got 75 in an hour.

My worm box is pretty fancy. Its made of 2-30inch scraps of 1x12 for a bottom and top and scrap 1x6's screwed through the bottom forming the sides and ends. Then I attached the top with 2 old hinges and a hook latch to keep it shut. It looks like a 30 inch coffin, lol I buried the whole thing leaving just the lid above ground in our bushes where its moist and gets no sun, and filled it 3/4 full of good black dirt and compost. I made a divider from a scrap of 1x6 and use 25% of the box for regular worms and the rest for night crawlers. They seem pretty happy in there. I made a much smaller version out of cedar scraps for use in the boat. Both work great and cost me nothing.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:37 pm

Yeah all the ladies tend not to like it when you put worms in the fridge. But put a thing of maggots in the fridge and they go absolutely nuts. Then worms in the fridge isn't all that big of a deal.

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:53 pm

BTW, just for you guys with the picky ladies who don't like crawlers in their fridge, you can get your own for the garage. Target is having a sale on the Cheifmate 1.37 cuft fridges. $55 + Tax. Not too bad. I have one in my office and it works pretty well. You can adjust the coldness so it's not too cold for your bait.