What bait for shark fishing?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
r.sok
Petty Officer

What bait for shark fishing?

Post by r.sok » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:57 pm

I remember a few years back at the les davis pier in Tacoma there was a group that would only come out at night to fish for nurse sharks for sport(catch and release of course).

I've tried for some today with no luck, just curious as for what would be a good bait?
I used some sandshrimp and caught a bullhead, cut him into a chunk and tried that with no luck..

jbball50
Commander

RE:What bait for shark fishing?

Post by jbball50 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:35 am

Anything that's meat but just use the regular herring. Not sure if sharks are really in the sound at this time of the year. Best time it seems for shark in the sound is summer when they annoy the heck out of the salmon anglers.

r.sok
Petty Officer

Post by r.sok » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:03 am

I'll give it a try, a couple days ago I managed to catch a small ray off of squid...I didn't even know they had those here in Tacoma
Attachments
Photo1022.jpg
Photo1022.jpg (90.13 KiB) Viewed 2817 times

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:05 am

Be sure to chum as well. Grind or chop your bait and put some in a sack for slow dispersion, the rest just gets flung in the water where you are fishing. You aren't trying to feed them, just load the area with scent to draw them in to you. Anchovies and mackeral work well as they tend to be more oily.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:03 am

I recall this became an issue with WDFW as the night anglers had gotten quite good at targeting the six gill sharks and WDFW didn't know if the fishery was sustainable. Be sure to check for any special regs. Even with catch and release if you're specifically targeting a closed fishery it could be a problem. This was for Elliot Bay and I don't know if Tacoma was an issue as well.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:23 am

When you are talking about shark fishing, are you sure you are talking about nurse sharks or six gill, or a "full on shark?"
Or are you talking about Dog Fish? Sure they are sharks too but much easier to find. They are usually about 3' in length. I take my son out fishing for them some times because he thinks he is "Shark Fishing" Whoo hoo.
I have found that what works best is to use a full size herring fished drop shot style so that it is not quite on the bottom.
It will be too big for the flounder and general bottom fish to deal with, but works well for the dogfish. You have to move around to find them, and generally I find them in about 100' of water. Not usually in shallower water.

(no children were hurt in the taking of this pic.) :-" Later he loved the photo.
Attachments
CHRIS~MILES~MUDSHARK[1].jpg
CHRIS~MILES~MUDSHARK[1].jpg (76 KiB) Viewed 2804 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:32 am

I have talked to people in the Olympia area that catch dog fish off the beaches. Most people I talked to said they use hot dogs for dogs :-" lol
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:44 am

It doesn't matter what you use for dog fish. They'll eat anything. Shrimp, clams, hot dogs, cut up sculpin, salmon spoons....what a PIA. I think catching the first two is fun, then they're just annoying. I have never caught any other shark out of the sound besides those, so maybe something else would be fun....and a little more picky? :cheese:

r.sok
Petty Officer

Post by r.sok » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:17 pm

All I remember the guy saying is that he caught a nurse shark, I don't think it was a six gill as it was caught off the dock and they don't cast all that far out & I don't think it was a dogfish because It was pretty fat for being it's size. Hotdog for dogfish? seriously? lol

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:31 pm

The Quadfather wrote:When you are talking about shark fishing, are you sure you are talking about nurse sharks or six gill, or a "full on shark?"
Or are you talking about Dog Fish? Sure they are sharks too but much easier to find. They are usually about 3' in length. I take my son out fishing for them some times because he thinks he is "Shark Fishing" Whoo hoo.
I have found that what works best is to use a full size herring fished drop shot style so that it is not quite on the bottom.
It will be too big for the flounder and general bottom fish to deal with, but works well for the dogfish. You have to move around to find them, and generally I find them in about 100' of water. Not usually in shallower water.

(no children were hurt in the taking of this pic.) :-" Later he loved the photo.
Nice job Chris!!!! My boys loved to catch doggies when the salmon catching was slow. That face is a look of pure excitement of a shark hung above his head.......:cheers: :cheers:
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:52 pm

r.sok wrote: Hotdog for dogfish? seriously? lol
Yep...
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

tommytitan08
Lieutenant

Post by tommytitan08 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:53 pm

I used a whole herring frozen or fresh and would nail them off les davis. I would fish right on the bottom with about a three oz lead and cast as far as possible.
" It is far better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6 "

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:50 pm

Geez Quad...I know just how your kid feels...I have the same reaction everytime I catch a dogfish too! But judging from the smile on your face, tells me nothing good can come from this!!! haha

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:01 pm

hey quad the doggie wants your beer lol
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

driftercn83
Petty Officer

Post by driftercn83 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:14 pm

Man I hate this part guys. but I have to use my expansive knowledge of sharks and fish again lol...:-({|= The sound has six gills spiny dogfish and the occasional ocean stray blue shark salmon shark or yes I will say it cause 8 years ago there where 15 sightings of White Sharks in the sound. as for the rays there are guitar fish big skate yes they are called big skate and occaional angel shark. one species that is a common stray is the basking shark but you would have to snagg one to get it to bite and you would probably get towed out the straight to the the big blue. if you want a 30 foot shark on the end of your tuna rod lol....:cheers: :-"
An old man once told me that if you stick a worm on a hook drop it over the bank you can feed your self for life. I tried it modified it and geez I am beating them off with a broom now.

" Talking about the way it used to be. Skittley dit dat dow doo day. we used to pull Stripers out of san pablo bay. now the delta waters go down so cal and the stripers faded away.." (Primus)

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:16 pm

Herring or Shiners are best for Doggies IMO.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:01 pm

Anything, and I mean anything will work. Hearing works real well, but I think sculpin work best. Just grab a dozen crawlers and use what ever you catch with them for bait, natural forage. But even more important than bait selection is the wire leader. Sharp teeth on them puppies

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:37 pm

r.sok wrote:I'll give it a try, a couple days ago I managed to catch a small ray off of squid...I didn't even know they had those here in Tacoma
This may be a skate.

I always caught dog fish when fishing toward the bottom (not laying on the bottom) fishing for other species.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:22 pm

I used to catch real large Skate in the Saratoga Passage area between Hat and Whidbey.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

nickbell
Commander

Post by nickbell » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:54 pm

Yep, i caught one of those on the les davis pier using herring. I was fishing right on the bottom and i was fishing on the walkway. I gave a report about it. You can read it in the area 11 reports. It should be on the first page.