Tough time steelheading

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
flinginpooh
Captain

Tough time steelheading

Post by flinginpooh » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:10 am

I still have not gotten a bite in december. This is an odd occurence for me. It doesnt seem like a whole lot is going on in my neck of the woods green, puyallup, carbon. Ive gone to the skok to see if I could get a late chum. Nope runs already through, and now closed as of dec 15. Ive tried the nisqually for anything that would bite, and nothing. I made a run to blue creek and glow balled, again nothing. Im gonna try the Snoqualmie tomorrow Im hoping. Please let this be the day I get my first fish of december. Bobber and jig, spoons, spinners, corky, corky and yarn, you name it I have been tossin it. I mean after all I fling pooh ya know.
More fish please!

code3daddy
Petty Officer

RE:Tough time steelheading

Post by code3daddy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:22 am

The fish were in thick at the Bogy...worth the drive.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:31 am

I feel your pain. I feel pressure to get my first Steelie by the end of the year. Good luck to you.
"One more......."

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:03 am

Welcome to Winter Steelhead Season. A million gallons of raw sewage, thanks to the city can have an effect on fish returns.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:03 pm

yep and poor water quality every where
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:15 pm

Well the streak is still intact. I went to the snoqualmie at the mouth of the tolt then at the mouth of the raging river. Im not sure what Im doing wrong but Im gonna figure this out. This week will be a fishathon for me I need my steelie.
More fish please!

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:24 pm

throw eggs and sand shrimp drift fish, all areas. float fish jigs less and throw colors u normaly wouldnt
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:05 am

Hey Flingin',
I don't realy want to add insult to injury but this was way too cool and I couldn't help myself.

Catching That Fish!

Anyways, don't get discuraged. The only thing that catches Steelhead is time on the river.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:28 am

...at least you're getting a chance to get skunked....I've been wanting to wet a line since Oct, and can't get away to do that! Right now, I'd even be happy to drop a hook in the fish department of PetCo!
Good luck. Hang in there and one of these days it'll pay off

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:32 am

I'm in that boat too........ I'm not so patiently waiting for a get out of jail card from the Dr........ Maybe February.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:03 pm

I'm on the disabled list as well. Be happy toure fishing. I drive to the river and only get to watch for at least another week.Listen to Curado. Drift shrimp or eggs up at the Tolt.Keep your gear so you feel the bottom.If youre not feeling the bottom up at the mouth of the Tolt youre not deep enough.The saying I go by is if youre not hanging up and getting snagged here and there youre not deep enough.JMO
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:08 pm

I thought that steelhead look up only and not down. So If I was to keep it on the bottom wouldnt that be outta sight and outta mind? I add eggs or shrimp usually to my jigs. Is this not good enough? They want just eggs or shrimp on hook drifting? Im gonna loose my mind this year I think lol. Im trying tomorrow again. Hopefully it pays off for me. And Im really sorry to hear so many people laid up and not able to fish. I couldnt imagine that. Get yourselves out there soon. It will help keep the insanity.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More fish please!

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:29 pm

carry only what u need. more bait, use a vest, no tackle boxes. float fish less, drift fish more and cast into the log jams. big native will hold around them

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:04 am

flinginpooh wrote:I thought that steelhead look up only and not down. So If I was to keep it on the bottom wouldnt that be outta sight and outta mind? I add eggs or shrimp usually to my jigs. Is this not good enough? They want just eggs or shrimp on hook drifting? Im gonna loose my mind this year I think lol. Im trying tomorrow again. Hopefully it pays off for me. And Im really sorry to hear so many people laid up and not able to fish. I couldnt imagine that. Get yourselves out there soon. It will help keep the insanity.
Well the steelhead mostly will be hugging the bottom but I've never actually drifted weighted jigs, if anything just tie on a small piece of yarn and drift that. I'm sure sometimes they might just want eggs or shrimp. Lik Curado said just look for those logjams or large boulders to drift by, if they're there a few will be hanging out behind em.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:21 pm

use more scents than bait on jigs

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:02 pm

The pros at Steelhead seminar said you want your presentation 6-12 inches off the bottom. Jigs were only mentioned for use with a bobber. I don't think you can drift them.
Lee

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:15 pm

bionic_one wrote:The pros at Steelhead seminar said you want your presentation 6-12 inches off the bottom. Jigs were only mentioned for use with a bobber. I don't think you can drift them.
Funny you mention this, as I was thinking to to try jigs as is against steelies. It too would be my first steelhead. The solo jig technique works very well on salmon. It isn't a true drift of the jig, but you do work just off of the bottom. I hope it translates to steel.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:12 am

Bodofish wrote:Hey Flingin',
I don't realy want to add insult to injury but this was way too cool and I couldn't help myself.

Catching That Fish!

Anyways, don't get discuraged. The only thing that catches Steelhead is time on the river.
great video of the dog catching fish!!!

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:18 am

Well I had a steelie. For a whole 3 min or so. It took the bait I set the hook. I waited a sec felt him on so I set it again to drive it home. Then fought him good it jumped about 10 times. Big air jumps. It was awesome. I had him close to shore and I called out "does anyone have a net?" as soon as the word net came out of my mouth poof. It spit the hook. That sucked.
More fish please!

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:30 pm

flinginpooh wrote:Well I had a steelie. For a whole 3 min or so. It took the bait I set the hook. I waited a sec felt him on so I set it again to drive it home. Then fought him good it jumped about 10 times. Big air jumps. It was awesome. I had him close to shore and I called out "does anyone have a net?" as soon as the word net came out of my mouth poof. It spit the hook. That sucked.
We have 7 more days!! LETS GO LETS GO!! I get a few hours tomorrow and Sunday to try and get one on the North Fork Lewis River...[-o&lt](*,)
"One more......."