GIANT salmon in creeks above Granite Falls

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
trout assault sean
Petty Officer

GIANT salmon in creeks above Granite Falls

Post by trout assault sean » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:17 am

So, for the pas 2 months, there have been giant salmon in the tributaries off of Canyon Creek. They are bright red, and in pretty good shape. I want to know wat kind of salmon they are. They have not got any white on them, or beat up too much, so let me know, so i can get to catchin!!!!!! They sit there in the pools and i have been tempted several times to net them, or even spear them. Dont worry though, i havent..
SENIOR THIS YEAR AT GRANITE FALLS HIGH SCHOOL
Almost have my drivers lisence.
I would rather be fishin' than sittin' in school wishin i was fishin'.
<')}}}}><

bionic_one
Captain

RE:GIANT salmon in creeks above Granite Falls

Post by bionic_one » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:03 am

I don't think any Salmon in Canyon Creek are legal. You may be able to C&R.

They sound like Silver (Coho) or Sockeye (very unlikely). They are probably Silvers.

However, they don't usually turn red until they are in full spawn mode, which means they probably aren't in good shape.
Lee

Salmon, Trout, Steelheader
Petty Officer

Post by Salmon, Trout, Steelheader » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:20 am

Not a good idea to net, or spear them. probably not a good idea to "catch" them either. There is no salmon season for Canyon Crk, therefore it is illegal to target them. This is how runs to small criks and streams get demolished, people being irresponsible and "fishing" closed waters. There is no season for salmon on that crik for a reason, why damage the run any more? Just because there are fish there doesn't mean you should fish it. Think with your heads people come on!

donman
Warrant Officer

Post by donman » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:12 am

Hey lets not jump on the guy for asking. At least he asked, how many people just do it without saying anything. This is how people get turned off from asking and learning anything.

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:39 am

When i was a senior in high school, i definitely thought with my head. :cyclopsan
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:36 pm

Drewp! that's the wrong head...............
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:50 pm

This time of year the fish Im sure are Coho. Not knowing the river system that would be my best guess. And as bionic said once they turn red they are on deaths bed ready to spawn then die. Search around on other posts.. I posted a pic of one in an Icicle River report, Curado has one on a post "time to walk the dogs..." that was in good shape.

And Drewp... Don't all seniors in HS think with their head? :)
"If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer."

True Hero Rod Series Representative
Fetha Styx Associate

trout assault sean
Petty Officer

Post by trout assault sean » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:39 am

seriously dude, people around my neighborhood are always spearing them, it pisses me the F off!! i hear that steelhead will come up behind these runs and eat their eggs, i am looking forward to catching these!!!! i have not speared or neted any, and do not plan on it.. . .... i think with my head. :) thanks guys i have seen so mmany dead salmon and their jaws aere massive. I also just wanted to say that these salmon do not have any scales, and the tops of them thqat are not red, are an olive green with black spots.... also, i found a dead one, and cut the bastard open... it was full of white goooo... kinda gross. hahaha
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
<')}}}}><

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:36 am

The one you cut open was a male, that is why the white goooo instead of eggs. From the size it sounds like they are, and the numbers that it sounds like, I would definetly say they are coho. There is no reason to bother them the meat is no good and would be best to let them spawn so you can enjoy their offsping in later years. I agree with donman, let's not make him not want to ask in the future. good that you asked and didn't just start spearing or netting. try and get the others to leave them alone if you know the people killing the fish and can get them to understand without putting yourself in danger. have fun at school it's your last year of highschool!!!

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:47 am

Add some pics!:bounce:

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:26 am

your neighors spear them in close waters...? where abouts do you live so i can call wdfw? thats ridiculous.

SAPIplate
Warrant Officer

Post by SAPIplate » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:26 pm

Do you know what river Canyon Creek flows into? They are definatly silvers, no other fish of that description would be around now. I got a friend who lives up Skinner Road outside GF and there's a creek there that gets Silvers near his house from time to time.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Release Wild Steelhead
Pink Salmon Fan
Salmo trutta

trout assault sean
Petty Officer

Post by trout assault sean » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:17 am

yeah, canyon creek flows into the stilly below the falls (actual falls in granite falls.)
<')}}}}><

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:44 am

trout assault sean wrote:yeah, canyon creek flows into the stilly below the falls (actual falls in granite falls.)
Hey Sean,
Is there a section of Canyon Creek that has a park area on the right, followed by a bridge over the creek, then the gravel road forks to the right or turns left up a hill?

trout assault sean
Petty Officer

Post by trout assault sean » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:41 am

yessir, i do beleive that there is, it is called Masonic Park. it is about a mile up from the road to my house. Masonic park is a private park, but you can easily bypass it via the logging road that is at the same exit. it is a park the truck and and hike in sort of deal, sometime, i could show ya....

Also, there is another one down Canyon Drive, my senior pictures got taken down at that park. :) The canyon falls park is the one that i think your thinking of. There is a small set of waterfalls and a bridge above them. Canyon drive is about 3 miles closer to town than my road. This is another place i could show you. Look at my myspace picture, i beleive it has some background in it that you may be able to tell from. my myspace url is www.myspace.com/transamface
<')}}}}><

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:37 am

trout assault sean wrote:yessir, i do beleive that there is, it is called Masonic Park. it is about a mile up from the road to my house. Masonic park is a private park, but you can easily bypass it via the logging road that is at the same exit. it is a park the truck and and hike in sort of deal, sometime, i could show ya....

Also, there is another one down Canyon Drive, my senior pictures got taken down at that park. :) The canyon falls park is the one that i think your thinking of. There is a small set of waterfalls and a bridge above them. Canyon drive is about 3 miles closer to town than my road. This is another place i could show you. Look at my myspace picture, i beleive it has some background in it that you may be able to tell from. my myspace url is www.myspace.com/transamface
THAT'S IT...Canyon Falls is the one. We owned a cabin just across that bridge when I was in grade school. I haven't been up there in 15 years, but have fond memories of riding my mini-bike all over that area and fishing on the rocks at the falls! Thanks for the flashback Sean. (mudvayne cool)
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.