Chum what are they salmon or steelhead! im lost

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
wolverine
Captain

RE:Chum what are they salmon or steelhead! im lost

Post by wolverine » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:23 pm

Not trying to bust your chops SAPIplate but you need to read your reg book again. Unless it specifically lists a season for SALMON there's no fishing on them. It's an expensive ticket if you get caught.
Life's short - fish hard!

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:36 pm

SAPIplate wrote:
Check your regs dude

Umm, the Sultan is a perfectly legal river to fish:

Taken directly from reg book:

"SULTAN RIVER (Snohomish Co.)
from mouth to diversion dam at river
mile 9.7
(854)
CLOSED WATERS - from diversion dam at river mile 9.7 downstream 400'.
Dolly Varden/bull trout First Sat. in June-Feb. 28 Min. size 20". May be retained as part of the TROUT daily limit.
All Other TROUT First Sat. in June-Feb. 28 Min. size 14". Daily limit 2.
Other Game Fish First Sat. in June-Feb. 28 Statewide min. size/daily limit."

Anyway, I went up there today, the river is to off color and high to fish. There were some old ones milling about. It needs to drop a considerable amount before it's fishable.
Read
them
again
#-o ](*,)

Maurice
Petty Officer

Post by Maurice » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:59 pm

With all the discussion about the sultan i would just call the wdfw and get there input.

Thats the problem with the regs, to many ways to interpit them. They try to make them easy but it is what it is.
Why cant Marriage License be like fishing licenses,

Where they expire every year and when

you go out of state you can get a 3 day pass.

dylanE
Angler

Post by dylanE » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:31 pm

Maurice wrote:With all the discussion about the sultan i would just call the wdfw and get there input.

Thats the problem with the regs, to many ways to interpit them. They try to make them easy but it is what it is.
yeah thats the best bet. i dont know about up there but down here the rules change all the time and they differ from the regs.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:58 pm

If it don't say Salmon time ... it ain't salmon time.:compress:
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:14 pm

There sometimes will be salmon ok release chinook or chum or coho. Then you can still catch them just need to release them. Make sure you tell whoever asks your targeting a good fish of course lol. But That river clearly says trout and game fish. And salmon isnt game fish. YOU can fish it if youd like. But I wouldnt. I like my truck and my gear and my money to boot.
More fish please!

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:39 pm

The Quadfather wrote:If it don't say Salmon time ... it ain't salmon time.:compress:
Maurice wrote:
It ain't that hard to figure em out

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:42 pm

In all honesty the Snohomish isn't going to be a productive producer for chum this year

Commercial netting has swooped up thousands of these snoho chums in the past years and the once plentiful #'s just aren't there anymore. This year is no different as the netters are out in full force.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donman
Warrant Officer

Post by donman » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:42 am

:salut: The netting pisses me off (sorry), but it does. Doesn't anyone ( I mean govt officials) realize that less fish spawning, mean less fish being born, which in turn mean less fish heading out to sea and ultimately less fish coming back to spawn again. As it stands we're almost out of a salmon future if this keeps up.

This was the first year I have truly had the fun of fishing for all these salmon (Chum, Pinks, Silvers and Kings), and I've had a blast. I thought "these people" were all about nature and preserving it. Sorry just ranting, because I'd love to have a future of fishing for my kids without them complaining about the netting. I wish there was something we could do about. How bout a million fisherman walk to the steps of Olympia protesting this and asking for "Change"!

But just to keep this post on track, yes, Chums are salmon :salut:

Maurice
Petty Officer

Post by Maurice » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:20 am

Netting gets me to, The non tribal commercial should be ended in the sound and any tribal should be only legal to what was used for cathing fish when the treaty for tribal fishing was signed.

There was an initiative that stopped the use of dogs for cougar hunting cant we do an initiave that would stop ALL commercial fishing in the puget sound the straights and 50 miles off the coast.

Just my 2 cents
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:00 am

netting in the river seems kinda like hunting in a zoo!!!!! there is no place for the fish to go but in the nets!!! once they make it to the river there should be no netting!!!!!!at least in the sound there is a slight chance to make past a net.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:07 pm

No Nettin In the river make a limit for 1 mile from any river just my .02
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

SAPIplate
Warrant Officer

Post by SAPIplate » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:03 pm

Blackmouth wrote:
Read
them
again
#-o ](*,)
Jesus Christ, it's like I commited a felony or something around here. I didn't check the regs because in the last few years it's been open for C&R Chum fishing, so I figured it was open again (honestly, I can guarentee you guys don't read the regs everytime you go fishing.)
Release Wild Steelhead
Pink Salmon Fan
Salmo trutta

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:49 pm

SAPIplate wrote:
Blackmouth wrote:
Read
them
again
#-o ](*,)
Jesus Christ, it's like I commited a felony or something around here. I didn't check the regs because in the last few years it's been open for C&R Chum fishing, so I figured it was open again (honestly, I can guarentee you guys don't read the regs everytime you go fishing.)
Not trying to jump on you, just suggesting you read them over again since you missed on the first look.

I haven't heard about any CnR salmon fishery on that river for a while....

To be honest I do RELIGIOUSLY check the regs. I always pick up 4 or 5 of the paper copies and stick em at my desk, in my truck, in the boat, etc. Even have the online copy saved to my desktop. No reason not to check the regs, takes a minute max.

I'm too cheap, I don't wanna pay a fine or lose my gear b/c I fish closed waters or retain thre wrong fish...

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:15 pm

I did not say your a bad person at all just making sure you dont get in trouble. Whenever I go to a new river I check the regs. And at the begining of the season I check the rivers I frequent so I know whats up with them. There also is revisions that happen periodically. Limit increases and decreases depending on whats going on. Best bet is to check periodically at www.wdfw.wa.gov Its good to know whats up before ya get introuble for not having a clue.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More fish please!

Maurice
Petty Officer

Post by Maurice » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:56 pm

So I dont see any pictures of examples for dog salmon so here go:cheers:

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:11 pm

flinginpooh wrote:I did not say your a bad person at all just making sure you dont get in trouble. Whenever I go to a new river I check the regs. And at the begining of the season I check the rivers I frequent so I know whats up with them. There also is revisions that happen periodically. Limit increases and decreases depending on whats going on. Best bet is to check periodically at www.wdfw.wa.gov Its good to know whats up before ya get introuble for not having a clue.
Well said. Its silly if you dont review the regs on rivers you plan on fishing! The game dept likes to change things day to day!
"If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer."

True Hero Rod Series Representative
Fetha Styx Associate

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:15 pm

Uhmmm...Are those Minter Creek Dogs?
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:21 pm

Blackmouth wrote: Not trying to jump on you, just suggesting you read them over again since you missed on the first look.

I haven't heard about any CnR salmon fishery on that river for a while....

To be honest I do RELIGIOUSLY check the regs. I always pick up 4 or 5 of the paper copies and stick em at my desk, in my truck, in the boat, etc. Even have the online copy saved to my desktop. No reason not to check the regs, takes a minute max.

I'm too cheap, I don't wanna pay a fine or lose my gear b/c I fish closed waters or retain thre wrong fish...
its almost frightening how many copies i have. I always end up losing my copy, getting a new one, then one day I find 5 copies in the trunk.

but agreed, always check and double check your regs. Not because people on a fishing forum will jump on you for it but because if you get caught, its a spendy ticket.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:30 pm

Geez! Look at those teeth!! If you ever worried about sharks in the water, I'd worry more about these guys.:cheers:
(of course... I/m only kidding)
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg