Drop Shot

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
JT26
Commander

Drop Shot

Post by JT26 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:36 pm

is it ok for the wieght to hit the bottom while dropshoting a plastic worm or will the mud come up and scare away the fish?

Thanks.

CK14
Lieutenant

RE:Drop Shot

Post by CK14 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:30 pm

sometimes the dirt can bring fish in. it can look like a crawfish moving around or maybe a minnow dying.

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:25 am

My weight is always on the bottom when I drop shot JT, well that is unless the fish bites it before it hits bottom. :thumleft:
aka Powerworm

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:47 am

you got it. thats the point of having the weight down there is to keep it on the bottom.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:48 am

once the weight hits bottom .. just use slack line to shake that bait in place without moving the weight ..if no takers i like to jump the bait too another spot and repeat the same thing .. some guys drag the bait back and some work it back .. Remember this , always let the fish tell you the way they want the bait .. once you catch two fish the same way " You Have A Patteren " stay with it unless something major changes i.e. wind , whether , etc .. good luck JT26 Glade to see your sicking bass , more time on the water will make you A better BASSER .. make it your point to learn something different each time you go out and come back and ask the guys here questions and you will soon get that Monster Bass someday ... BBD :study: :thumleft:
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

jake campbell
Petty Officer

Post by jake campbell » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:05 am

Keeping the weight on the bottom won't scare the fish it will just help attract them!

Silent Angler
Petty Officer

Post by Silent Angler » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:50 am

Drop-shotting shines when you fish it vertically...which you will need to look for a deep clear water ( 10 to 40 feet). If the water is stained or muddy, I won't bother to use the drop-shotting technique.

I also agree with Bigbass Dez that you need to leave the weight on the bottom and using the slack line to shake a bait without moving the weight. Sometimes you want to use a heavier weight to get the reaction strike because some suspending bass will bite a fast-falling bait before it reaches to the bottom.
Fishing is the life.

slicbob
Petty Officer

Post by slicbob » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:44 pm

What does a drop shot look like, what size weight do you use, and with what for bait/ or type of plastic worm, and what type/size of hook? Thanks Bob

jake campbell
Petty Officer

Post by jake campbell » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:32 am

This is what the drop shot looks like slicbob. Use mostly finesss baits like the sniper snub, or other plastics and just use the correct size hook for the bait, or nose hook it with a small gamakatsu hook it like in the diagram.
Attachments
dropshot.jpg
dropshot.jpg (9.08 KiB) Viewed 4926 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

slicbob
Petty Officer

Post by slicbob » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:36 pm

Nice display & thanks. What size weight would you use?

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:48 am

slicbob the smaller the better. you want to be able to barely feel the bottom.if theres wind or alot of current. you will have to up the size.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:51 am

I like using 3/16 or 1/4 oz. Probably start with 1/4 just to get use to the setup. I also use #4 and #2 gamakatsu drop shot hooks, depending on the size of the plastic I'm using.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:19 am

do you tie the hook to the line or does it slide up and down. is this how you use senko's? nice diagram above, ive been wanting to try it at potholes, but the locals are a lil quiet on techniques, unless you buy a bunch of tackle at the store. let me know, and thanks!

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:43 am

michaelunbewust wrote:do you tie the hook to the line or does it slide up and down. is this how you use senko's? nice diagram above, ive been wanting to try it at potholes, but the locals are a lil quiet on techniques, unless you buy a bunch of tackle at the store. let me know, and thanks!
You tie a palomar knot, which holds the hook in place (no sliding). Use a kut tail worm, roboworm, or some other fineness plastic.
Attachments
Palomar.jpg
Palomar.jpg (267.52 KiB) Viewed 4732 times
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am

you can use senkos on a dropshot they work pretty good. i recomend a 3 inch for them anything bigger and it kinda messes up the action. another great way to fish them is texas rigged weightless. just watch for a bump in the line or for your line to take off.
Anthony

danielt
Commander

Post by danielt » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:57 pm

The only way to go is a 1/8th oz pencil weight and a #2 Gamakatsu drop shot/split shot hook. If you are going to fish in 30ft of water then move it up to a quarter oz weight but for anything less 1/8 is plenty. GOT to have a good DS rod for sensitivity.

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:31 am

i have no confidence in senkos and the ds. I do like the slim senkos though.

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:22 am

dilbert wrote:
michaelunbewust wrote:do you tie the hook to the line or does it slide up and down. is this how you use senko's? nice diagram above, ive been wanting to try it at potholes, but the locals are a lil quiet on techniques, unless you buy a bunch of tackle at the store. let me know, and thanks!
You tie a palomar knot, which holds the hook in place (no sliding). Use a kut tail worm, roboworm, or some other fineness plastic.
That's a good picture of how to tie it. There was another thread on how to tie a dropshot earlier. Check that one too to see if there's any info missed. There's also a link to a nice site that has animations on how to tie a palomar knot. Also, watch the Lake Sammamish Bass Fishing video, a couple of good tips there.

bass-master
Angler

Post by bass-master » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:50 pm

dilbert wrote:
roboworms all the time :)

BassFishingWA
Petty Officer

Post by BassFishingWA » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:10 pm

What rods do you use for dropshot? A fast taper rod or what?
TL
BFWA
Tight lines
BassFishingWA