When do the steelhead run?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
aTrOcIoUs
Petty Officer

When do the steelhead run?

Post by aTrOcIoUs » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:33 pm

As most of u know im pretty new to fishing and have noticed a few posts about steelhead running in some of the rivers i beleive one was the nisqually? do they run later in the season after the salmon are done? or whats the run down i want to try my luck with these puppys once they start running heavily. ive had luck on the puyallup and green river. and also should i be saving my roe? i noticed alot of people saying they are gonna use it for steelhead? is there much of a difference between the roe outta stores and the stuff caught and used from your salmon?

Thanks for any info guys and TIGHT LINES! :chef:

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:When do the steelhead run?

Post by Amx » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:42 pm

I don't know but they do a LOT of swimming. Image
Tom.

Interests: living

CRW
Petty Officer

Post by CRW » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:43 pm

aTrOcIoUs wrote:1)and also should i be saving my roe? 2)is there much of a difference between the roe outta stores and the stuff caught and used from your salmon?

Thanks for any info guys and TIGHT LINES! :chef:

1) I say yes if fishing for steelhead.

2) Yes the price. Plus when curing your own you can cure with different dyes and different scents.

I have 2 sets of eggs curing right now, one with Pro Cure Last Super Glow Red, and one with Firecure Pink.

I haven't used them, so I can't tell you what works better.

As far as the store bought ones other then price ( why pay for something you are getting for free ), I am not sure if they do anything special.

:cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:07 pm

yes definitly save the eggs. but there should be summer run steelhead in most rivers now, and the winters will start in november. as far as the nisqually i dont think there are any in there but there are some in the snoqualmie.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:57 pm

All year.

Summer runs and winter runs hang around for a while....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:34 pm

Yeah I'm not sure about the Nisqually having a steelhead run, I don't think they do. Summer runs should be in on the rivers, best places would be the blue creek and cowlitz closest to you. I know the bogachiel river and those rivers up there during the winter runs the hatchery fish run more during november to january with the peak around mid december from my experiences of fishing there. Then the wild runs come in more during january through march. Same thing as others said, use salmon eggs for steelhead but I've had more success just running a corky and yarn.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:27 am

AMX I thought that exact same answer. I was gonna say when they are tired of walking. The winter steelies start showing up as early as late October. I see a fish or two caught on the Satsop during peak coho season .It really depends on the rain.Most steel wont enter the river systems till we get a real good freshett.If this weather persists its gonna make river fishing poor this year.Even the Cowlitz puts out early winter steel.Ifin we get good hard rains alot of rivers will be hot. Please let their be rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:31 am

Tom.

Interests: living