Jig arsenal for Dash Point Pinks

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Jig arsenal for Dash Point Pinks

Post by Toni » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:28 pm

I have been tying jigs since last Wednesday when I did up two and got my limit with them on Thursday.
I am planning to go to Dash Point Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. I am hoping these work as good as the first 2 (I gave one away).
Attachments
Pink_jigs_004_resize.jpg
Pink_jigs_004_resize.jpg (72.72 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
Pink_jigs_002_resize.jpg
Pink_jigs_002_resize.jpg (71.12 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

returnofthefish
Captain

RE:Jig arsenal for Dash Point Pinks

Post by returnofthefish » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:47 pm

Do you use them below a float or cast out and jig it like a buzz bomb? They look very nice.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:54 pm

Do you use them below a float tube or cast out and jig it like a buzz bomb? They look very nice.
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:01 pm

nice to see the yare working for you.....my question is that those look like 1/4 oz jigs, is that correct? Is that the only wieght you are using with these and what size line are you using?

Thank you

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:03 pm

returnofthefish wrote:Do you use them below a float or cast out and jig it like a buzz bomb? They look very nice.
I cast it out, wait a few seconds and then twitch it back to me. If I were in a boat it would be nice to try it under a float. There are TTTTOOOOOO many people at Dash Point to float fish.
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:07 pm

scott080379 wrote:nice to see the yare working for you.....my question is that those look like 1/4 oz jigs, is that correct? Is that the only wieght you are using with these and what size line are you using?

Thank you

They are 1/4 oz jigs. I am using 10 lb test PLINE. I don't have smaller or larger sizes. They work just right at the pier. Or at least they did the last time.

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:24 pm

Yes, those pink jigs were killing the pinks over the buzz bombs. The bbombs weren't slouchin' but they were catching pinks with greater frequency. Just wish I had the time to tie some.

Are you using casting gear? I am guessing spinning gear. Please say casting gear. I don't like to use spinning gear in the salt and while I can cast 1/4 oz jigs with my bass gear, my only salmon rod is rated for 3/8- 1 3/4 oz. Workable, but definitely not ideal.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:49 am

islandbass wrote:Yes, those pink jigs were killing the pinks over the buzz bombs. The bbombs weren't slouchin' but they were catching pinks with greater frequency. Just wish I had the time to tie some.

Are you using casting gear? I am guessing spinning gear. Please say casting gear. I don't like to use spinning gear in the salt and while I can cast 1/4 oz jigs with my bass gear, my only salmon rod is rated for 3/8- 1 3/4 oz. Workable, but definitely not ideal.
Sorry islandbass...spinning. Could you put a pink split shot at the top of the line by the head of the jig to give it more weight?

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:46 am

Thanks, Toni. Given how it can be windy at DP, combined with a relatively light jig, typically heavier used line and a rod (my rod) that would barely bend on the cast with a small weight, it won't be ideal with my only salmon setup.

My only issue using a spinning reel in the salt is that I am not as familiar with cleaning them afterward as I am with cleaning baitcasters. Guess I had better learn.:bigsmurf:

I am going to need to double check the regs to see if a "carolina style" rig is legal. I think it is, but I am going to make sure. A drop shot rig in the salt is not permitted. Yowza!

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:39 am

Those are sweet. I just painted some jig heads up myself.

trackster13
Petty Officer

Post by trackster13 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:19 pm

i fish dash pt in my little row boat. I slay them with a 1/4oz jig with a pink mini hoochie. I've done it under a float and just straight casting and they seem to like it more without the float. I cast then just lift my rod super slow (not even a twitch) and they just nail it. It works good in the rivers too.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:45 pm

DAY 1
Attachments
Dinner_9-2-09.jpg
Dinner_9-2-09.jpg (111.75 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
resize_70.jpg
resize_70.jpg (60.5 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
catch_of_the_day_9-2-09.jpg
catch_of_the_day_9-2-09.jpg (61.6 KiB) Viewed 1631 times

polywave
Angler

Post by polywave » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:23 am

Nice pictures!