Harassed by homeowners (Sammamish)

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Harassed by homeowners (Sammamish)

Post by kevinb » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:42 pm

BassDood wrote:Funny how some people are and how it goes south real quick. The flip side to that... I was fishing a guys dock once, and he told me of a huge bass he see's all the time around it. We talked fishing for a bit, then he invited up for a cocktail with him and his wife on their deck. I thanked him and declined. He told me the offer stood whenever I came back. I need to get back there. But folks that think they own it all...frustrating to say the least.
I have been pretty fortunate. I've met some very cool homeowners. Lake Tapps has a few jerks but most
of the owners are pretty laid back and I've even made some good friends that are quick to point out where the
tigers and smallies are.

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:48 pm

BentRod wrote:I have a question. My wife's grandfather owns some property down in Gig Harbor on the Sound. The law states that he owns the land down to the mid-point between high and low tide. I was recently at Three Tree Point in Burien and saw a sign by the water that states that the water front home owners own the land down to extreme low tide. I didn't think this was legally possible, but certainly don't know. Do the rules for the Sound vary by county?
It might vary by county or maybe just for those home owners in that area. I know that it is the high tide point I'm pretty sure over at Hoodsport. But the home owner that lives right next to Hoodsport yapped enough and called the cops enough every year to make it so you can't walk around a certain area and made a new rule for that.

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:16 am

Bigbass Dez wrote:I saw you over there Man , and i also heard about this later at the dock .. Sorry that happened , Way to hold your ground ! But if some diver was hitting the bottom of the boat , I would have taken a swim myself and came back up with scuba gear and a wetsuit that would have been for sell on this site this morning for $0.99 ...:-#
Dez, I'm not buying that man! You wouldn't even take a swim to go after that 5 lb largie you had hooked and wrapped in the weeds. If that wasn't motivation enough to get you to take a swim I'm not sure what would be! :joker: LMAO!!!!! Sorry just bringing a little levity back to the thread. Now back to the homeowner bashing!!!!! :rambo:
http://www.WatkinsBassfishing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sponsor WashingtonLakes.com

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:51 am

davidwat1 wrote:
Bigbass Dez wrote:I saw you over there Man , and i also heard about this later at the dock .. Sorry that happened , Way to hold your ground ! But if some diver was hitting the bottom of the boat , I would have taken a swim myself and came back up with scuba gear and a wetsuit that would have been for sell on this site this morning for $0.99 ...:-#
Dez, I'm not buying that man! You wouldn't even take a swim to go after that 5 lb largie you had hooked and wrapped in the weeds. If that wasn't motivation enough to get you to take a swim I'm not sure what would be! :joker: LMAO!!!!! Sorry just bringing a little levity back to the thread. Now back to the homeowner bashing!!!!! :rambo:
Iv never left any boat to go after a Bass ! But if someone comes under the boat and starts to bang it ! What that person is doing is sending me a personal invite to attend a "DEEP WATER CAGE MATCH" and trust me dave if my saftey was in question like that , Bro im going under ! See at that point, we are no longer "fishing" ! we are under attack ! back against the wall ! no choice but to fight our way out of there ! come on man are you kidding , scuba bullyboy dont wanna tangle with me ! LOL

But i will be honest here , im not 22 anymore ! i would proberly just call 911 and sit there in suspence untill they arrived ! doesnt make much since to down with the jerk ! DARN IT DAVE !!!THANKS FOR MAKING ME FEEL LIKE A OLD MAN !! MY DAY WAS GREAT UNTILL I CAME ACROSS THIS !! can ya just lay off the keyboard for the rest of the week Thanks !:clown:

OldManDez!!
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:28 pm

[quote="showpro"]Here's the location photo:

The guy on the balcony on the right was the first jerk. The scuba diver and the other jerk came from the house in the middle of the frame.

BTW, thanks for all the support, guys.[/quote

been wanting to fish this lake. maybe we could do a perch/picture tournament but you would have to have a picture of what you caught of the house (1 point), of the home owner (2 points), scuba bubbles (3 points), home owner haveing a tantrum (4 points), hooked scuba diver on a stinger (winner).:-"

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:01 pm

Awesome panfisher! Freaking yuppy scum.
You do your thang man. Some people are just to cool for this world and feel like they own it. Some feel they own space and this is just not true. Just because he has a dock in the water doesn't mean he owns that part of the lake.
Property owners on a lake own nothing more then their land, house and dock. You could hang out under their dock if you wanted to. Water is public property (owned by the state of washington) and your free to use it in any way you please. Obeying the laws of coarse.
But fish on brutha.
Love the picture.
Hey, next time post up right in between his docks there and fish away.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:56 pm

What a great thread!:cheers:

Half way reading through it, I went up stairs to nuke a bag of Pop Secret and discovered that I was out! Bummer!!

Hey Showpro, get the street address of the house where the Scuba Jerk lives. Call the county building department and inform them that Scuba Jerk is in violation of the building code. Any deck or balcony that is higher than 30" off the ground must have a railing around it at a minimum height of 36". From what it looks like in the photo, there seems to be quite a few pieces of patio furniture out on that second floor deck and it has no railing[-x
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:17 pm

hell hath no fury like a fisherman harassed. :bom:

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:05 am

Probably a home made deck and he didn't get a permit for it. Image He'll have to pay for a permit, and a fine, and a late penilty. Image It also looks cheap and unsafe Image he'll have to tear it down. Image Image
Tom.

Interests: living

flippinfool
Commander

Post by flippinfool » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:30 am

panfisher wrote:
showpro wrote:Here's the location photo:

The guy on the balcony on the right was the first jerk. The scuba diver and the other jerk came from the house in the middle of the frame.

BTW, thanks for all the support, guys.[/quote

been wanting to fish this lake. maybe we could do a perch/picture tournament but you would have to have a picture of what you caught of the house (1 point), of the home owner (2 points), scuba bubbles (3 points), home owner haveing a tantrum (4 points), hooked scuba diver on a stinger (winner).:-"
WOW LETS HAVE WA LAKES FISH IN RAFT UP THE BOATS ANCHOR ON BOTH ENDS AND HANG OUT ALL DAY ! Sounds like SOMEBODYS life is sooooooooo boring they have nothing better to do but drive people nuts and break the LAW by interupting a LEGAL fishing trip. That just goes to show you that you can be rich and have it all and still be A TOTAL LOSER! GOOD LORD PEOPLE GET A LIFE! NEW WAYPOINT!
LIVE LIFE DONT LET LIFE LIVE YOU GO FISHIN!!!!!!!!

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:40 am

Amx wrote:Probably a home made deck and he didn't get a permit for it. Image He'll have to pay for a permit, and a fine, and a late penilty. Image It also looks cheap and unsafe Image he'll have to tear it down. Image Image
if you look to the right there seems to be a small deck area with a slider and no rail system either. the main deck is a no-no with out a rail system as it is being used as a deck and not a roof.

flippinfool
Commander

Post by flippinfool » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:37 am

panfisher wrote:
Amx wrote:Probably a home made deck and he didn't get a permit for it. Image He'll have to pay for a permit, and a fine, and a late penilty. Image It also looks cheap and unsafe Image he'll have to tear it down. Image Image
if you look to the right there seems to be a small deck area with a slider and no rail system either. the main deck is a no-no with out a rail system as it is being used as a deck and not a roof.
just because you have money dont mean your smart he probably took it down after inspection so it wouldnt obstruct his veiw of those terrible fishermen having a good time!!!!!!!!!! hell get drunk and fall off it one night or someone else will!:compress:

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:19 pm

Lots of good ideas here. Here are a few other options that I believe would be very effective and might stop their behavior:

*I would definitely recommend calling 911 the next time these folks confront you and don't stop the minute you tell them to walk away. Have their address so the Deputy will know where to go. Advise the 911 call taker you will be in your boat waiting for contact at the shoreline of the address.

*I would absolutely recommend contacting Jesse Jones from King 5 News at GetJesse@king5.com or call him at 1-877-515-3773. I would be very surprised if he wasn't interested in this story. I have seen him confront lots of folks on the news and I think these two home owners would hate to be confronted on TV. Before you do this you might want to have your ducks lined up in a row. Specifically, get these home owners addresses and go to the King County Assessors web page http://www5.kingcounty.gov/parcelviewer ... viewer.asp and type in their addresses in their address search. Once the info comes up, look to the left of the map to view the taxpayer/homeowner information. Then, call or write Jesse Jones. I am sure he would love to do a story on this. Sweet Revenge, in a professional manner.

*You could also contact King 5, Komo 4, and Kiro 7, and see if any of them are interested in this story. I believe that they would be.

Here are a couple laws that may apply;

RCW 9A.84.030 Disorderly conduct.
(1) A person is guilty of disorderly conduct if the person:
(a) Uses abusive language and thereby intentionally creates a risk of assault; (this means using "fighting words")
(b) Intentionally disrupts any lawful assembly or meeting of persons without lawful authority;
(c) Intentionally obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic without lawful authority; or
(d)(i) Intentionally engages in fighting or in tumultuous conduct or makes unreasonable noise, within five hundred feet of:
(A) The location where a funeral or burial is being performed;
(B) A funeral home during the viewing of a deceased person;
(C) A funeral procession, if the person described in this subsection (1)(d) knows that the funeral procession is taking place; or
(D) A building in which a funeral or memorial service is being conducted; and
(ii) Knows that the activity adversely affects the funeral, burial, viewing, funeral procession, or memorial service.
(2) Disorderly conduct is a misdemeanor.

RCW 9A.46.020 Definition -- Penalties.
(1) A person is guilty of harassment if:
(a) Without lawful authority, the person knowingly threatens:
(i) To cause bodily injury immediately or in the future to the person threatened or to any other person; or
(ii) To cause physical damage to the property of a person other than the actor; or
(iii) To subject the person threatened or any other person to physical confinement or restraint; or
(iv) Maliciously to do any other act which is intended to substantially harm the person threatened or another with respect to his or her physical or mental health or safety; and
(b) The person by words or conduct places the person threatened in reasonable fear that the threat will be carried out. "Words or conduct" includes, in addition to any other form of communication or conduct, the sending of an electronic communication.
(2)(a) Except as provided in (b) of this subsection, a person who harasses another is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.
(b) A person who harasses another is guilty of a class C felony if either of the following applies: (i) The person has previously been convicted in this or any other state of any crime of harassment, as defined in RCW 9A.46.060, of the same victim or members of the victim's family or household or any person specifically named in a no-contact or no-harassment order; or (ii) the person harasses another person under subsection (1)(a)(i) of this section by threatening to kill the person threatened or any other person.
(3) The penalties provided in this section for harassment do not preclude the victim from seeking any other remedy otherwise available under law.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:21 pm

And what is with the pipe running up the side of the house? Is that a stove pipe? Without a cap? Can't be a electrical service mast, it is new construction. The service on all new construction is underground.

I think an inspector would have a hay day at that place:cheers:

flippinfool
Commander

Post by flippinfool » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:35 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:And what is with the pipe running up the side of the house? Is that a stove pipe? Without a cap? Can't be a electrical service mast, it is new construction. The service on all new construction is underground.

I think an inspector would have a hay day at that place:cheers:
I WAS WONDERING THE SAME UNTIL I SAW THE CATAMARAN ON THE SHORE:albino: :compress:

showpro
Petty Officer

Post by showpro » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:24 pm

Thanks, Dave. Yes, I have the addresses and if harassed again will call.

As for Get Jesse...creative idea. Frankly, though, I'm just not feeling that vindictive, yet. If it continues, though, I'll keep that one in mind.

Anyone can find the properties, though. They're near 16th and E. Lake Sammamish Pkwy. Not hard to find on, say, Zillow.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:09 pm

if someone was under my boat bangin the botom, id just start the frigging engine..and i have no problem telling someone where to go. no if someone threw things at my boat well im really not sure how id handle that one. in a fit of rage id wanna shotputt my down riggerball through their window but the best way is to call the cops and make them pay for that chip in the paint that the stone/pellet did.
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:48 am

Fished this spot on Friday hoping to pick up some perch for dinner and have a little entertainment at an obnoxious homeowner's expense. The fishing was good but the entertainment was lacking. Just after I got there and was picking out my spot to tie up and anchor a guy from the gray house came out and asked me what I was looking for. I told him, "fish, what else?". He said that there weren't any fish here and I should try somewhere else which prompted my reply of, "let me be the judge of that". He watched me tie up and anchor, took my picture and went back into the house. Fished there for about 2 hours, shirt off music going and had no further encounters. Kind of disappointing, but maybe they got the point as I have a couple of washingtonlakes.com decals prominently displayed on my boat. Anyone else pay this area a visit in the past week?

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:52 am

Very nice G-Man.

I am guessing if they become jerks again and one our members tells them the police are being called, and actually call the police, this behavior will stop. They just need to be told from an officer that their behavior is unwarranted and could land them in jail and I am sure it will stop. If not, someone is gonna have to go to jail. They may also be noticing the increase in fishermen at this location and might be putting 2 and 2 together which may discourage them from confronting you guys, but I kinda doubt that is it.

*** Another option would be to mail an anonymous letter outlining the crime they are committing and politely promise them in the letter that ANY further harassment or contact by them will generate a police response and a media event. I will bet that this type of letter would stop them as well, and may avoid further incidents all together. I think this would be my course of action. I would be very polite, brief, and to the point. I might also include that many members of the fishing community are aware of their behavior and are prepared to take action if this continues.

showpro
Petty Officer

Post by showpro » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:39 am

Dave, I have been thinking that exact thing from day one. Including mailing copies of the relevant statutes with relevant sections highlighted.

The problem with the media event is that people lie. My concern is that they'll start making up stuff about our behavior and turn this into a much bigger problem than it deserves to be. I think the best approach is just to deflect any initial contact and call the PD if it escalates into harassment.

Honestly, if I'd known where to tell the cops to come to, I would have called them last Sunday after the diving thing. Now I know the address.