pinks are coming

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
HammerinHonkers
Petty Officer

RE:pinks are coming

Post by HammerinHonkers » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:05 pm

So I have a question. I have been fishing down near tacoma and have been killing it, like 40 fish days. But the reports I hear from humpy hollow are not too good. I would think that since tacoma is further south than edmonds the fishing should be great if the fishing is good around tacoma. Do the fish move according to which river they are moving up, then stage near there? Also, thanks Mike for the info on fishing pinks, have not been to humpy hollow, but have been slaying them around my place.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm

come on no pics yet lol
Attachments
random_pics_357_Medium.jpg
random_pics_357_Medium.jpg (98.04 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:40 pm

Nice pics.

HH, I believe the Hollow will be fantastic beginning next week.

I had boat trailer light issues last night when getting ready for this morning’s trip so we decided to cancel this morning’s trip to the Hollow so I could get the light issues resolved. What a way to spend a vacation day! Not!

I did however take a drive up to the Skagit River this morning where I met 2 very nice bank fishermen. One had one in his possession and the other had none. I watched the guy with one already in the bag catch 3 more in all of about 30 minutes using a drop sinker (4oz) and a green spin and glow with a shrimp. He left his shrimp for the other guy and I to use and was even kind enough to give us both a spin and glow which we didn’t have thinking we were just going to toss a spoon. In the next hour I netted 3 for the guy fishing alongside me and I had 2 fish on that both spit the hook. These fish were in good condition and it was fun to see these two very nice guys land some nice fish that ranged from about 4 to 6 pounds. It just wasn’t my last few days I guess.

With the trailer light issue resolved thanks to a good friend of mine who is an amazing mechanic, I WILL be out there at Humpy Hollow the next 2 mornings (Thursday and Friday) and hope to catch some fish. As of 0930 hours this morning two of my friends who were out in their boats at Humpy Hollow had 5 and 2 respectively on board, all caught on pink Coho Killers at around 85’. I am sure they caught more after I spoke with them but I haven’t received their final tallies as of yet. I look forward to tomorrow morning. Good luck all.

BTW: Thanks again for the information on where to fish the Skagit. I took your advice and Googled the area and was able to locate a place to fish right where you described. So thanks again for the info.

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:00 pm

Where they sand shrimp? Sounds like plunking is the way to go down there. I hope you nail 'em at the Hollow.

Fish on
"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:25 pm

curado wrote:come on no pics yet lol
Come on kid smile! I might go out to 522 tomorrow morning.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:48 pm

The Stilli has some if not the biggest Humpies that have ever been caught this one was 15.4 and was caught in the lower Stillaguamish in Oct 2007 story here... http://www.heraldnet.com/article/200710 ... /710250052
The lower Stilli humpies are best if caught in the estuaries of the lower river. As mentioned in some articles....Bring your tide book! Fish safe....Try Google Map and look for access. Oh..Heres the pic.... and another bit of info from the Everett Herald http://www.heraldnet.com/article/200708 ... 90020/1004
Attachments
15.4_lb_humpie_from_Stilli_2007.jpg
15.4_lb_humpie_from_Stilli_2007.jpg (10.33 KiB) Viewed 2425 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:23 pm

HH....You have no reason to go to Humpie Hollow....Evidently the Humps are heading to the southern rivers rather the Northern Rivers as of now....Hoping it's turning around by next week, if it doesn't then the estimated Humpie run was way off. I think the warm/no rain weather is a problem. Hope it gets better. :-)

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:10 pm

fished the salt today7 fish in all 2 in the snohomish yesterday
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

natenez
Warrant Officer

Post by natenez » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:36 pm

curado wrote:come on no pics yet lol
Here is my pic from last Friday's morning at Humpy Hollow Image
Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:54 pm

I'll contribute:

one buck and one hen! cleaned, scaled, and ready to be filletd

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:11 pm

heres some more
Attachments
random_pics_358_Medium.jpg
random_pics_358_Medium.jpg (94.34 KiB) Viewed 2299 times
random_pics_359_Medium.jpg
random_pics_359_Medium.jpg (39.13 KiB) Viewed 2298 times

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

soulfishhawk
Petty Officer

Post by soulfishhawk » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:58 pm

A friend of mine took me out on his boat Friday morning, we went along the area where the shipwreck is, must have been a hundred boats out there, not much luck, so we went out to possession. I got one Pink, and lost what was likely a King (went straight down and heavy) about 15 feet from the boat :(
We were fishing around 55-60 feet, not getting much love. When we came in, a bunch of people had their limits, all saying they were fishing around 80-90 ft, everyone was slaying at Possession. He want back with his wife Sunday (the 23rd) and they got one at Possession and the water was very rough so he moved back to the area around the shipwreck and fished at 80 ft. For the day, they landed 7 pinks and one Silver, which shocked the hell out of him. He was a little stubborn on fishing so deep, but sure was glad he did in the end! Funny how that works. I'm hoping to head out again this weekend, hopefully there's still a limit to be had.
Oh yeah, he was using the pink plastic shrimp behind a flasher. I don't know much, but I remember that hahaha
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:47 pm

Today's catch. 1 silver, 6 pinks. Report posted.
Attachments
IMG_3440_Small.jpg
IMG_3440_Small.jpg (39.35 KiB) Viewed 2242 times

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:55 pm

nice fish dave any hens in the bunch

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:23 pm

3 of the pinks were hens, the rest were males. Just had a 10oz grilled fillet. OMG it was amazing!!!

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:28 pm

i have a lot of fillets waiting to be vaccume packed i am going out tomorrow so i will seal them up then

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:06 pm

Today’s catch; 8 pinks in about 2 hours, displayed by Fetchitup7.

2 wild kings, caught and safely released unharmed, estimated at 14 & 16 pounds. 3 pinks lost at the boat.
Attachments
IMG_3451_Small.jpg
IMG_3451_Small.jpg (37.25 KiB) Viewed 2196 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:04 pm

I spent this afternoon smoking and packaging some of yesterday’s catch. Here is the end result.
Attachments
IMG_3461_Small.jpg
IMG_3461_Small.jpg (48.63 KiB) Viewed 2168 times

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:49 pm

yummy! I have mine in the brine and gave several away to good friends.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:53 pm

i got 16 fish to the beach on the snohomish and along with that got 3 stolen

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU