pinks are coming

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
headhunter2
Angler

RE:pinks are coming

Post by headhunter2 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:28 pm

Got 3 pinks in the boat today at pilot point south of PNP. Lost 2 at boat. Better than last week.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:28 pm

head over to pilot point lots of fish in there
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:31 pm

I didn’t think the pinks would be at Humpy Hollow in decent numbers this soon but today rogerathertonii reports his party landed 10 nice fish (pictures provided) and had another 20 or so hook ups, which is impressive this early in the month. I’m wondering if many others out at the Hollow experienced the same results which would confirm their early arrival in big numbers. In years past I have seen one or two boats do very well early in the pinks season leaving the majority of anglers having to work hard to get a fish or two. So I hope to see several more reports in the next few days from the Hollow confirming the early arrival in big numbers. A job well done by rogerathertonii for sure!

Lou
Petty Officer

Post by Lou » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:38 pm

Two friends and I went to Dash Point this morning for a few hours starting around sunrise. Got our spot as the closest to the dock but still down in the water in waders. I got 4 within an hour, and my friends got 2 together in the following hour. Everyone around me was using large buzzbombs, but I was using the small 2" one with a pink gamakatsu hook using my light ugly stick and 10lb braided.

On a side note, Sportco has a sweet deal on sock waders and shoes for those who have wanted to buy some but were waiting for a nice deal. Check it out.

-Lou

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:08 pm

Skagit is LOADED!! No joke, everyone and their grandma was catching them today (literally saw a lady catching fish from shore and heard the youngin say "grandma, you have another bite!" Probably saw 25 fish caught this morning....just the ones I saw. our boat did well also (longest 23.5"). Skipped the sand shrimp /wing bobber and went straight to 6lb mono and a 1/8 jig......:cheers:
Great opener for all, saw tons of kids/families with nice stringers from shore. Love to see everyone get involved. Best i saw was 15 fish for a family of four, and they were leaving at 9:00am. :-$
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

HammerinHonkers
Petty Officer

Post by HammerinHonkers » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:52 pm

I am heading to redondo, dash and browns point area in the boat. Then heading to the puyallup on tue. back to the bay on wed and back to the puyallup on thur. Well, we'll see, I will go where the fish are. Saw tons of people on the puyallup, dont know how the fishing in, but the people were there. Hopefully good reports to come.
HH

gian
Warrant Officer

Post by gian » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:06 pm

I was told today to head out to Kayak point out by Everrett/ Marysville, and that the pinks were in abundance. Anyone on here have any luck in that area?
I won't kill anything less than a meal

gian
Warrant Officer

Post by gian » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:10 pm

Looks like I should have drove a bit further and went to the Skagit. Is it the north or south fork people are fishing?
I won't kill anything less than a meal

hanapaa808
Warrant Officer

Post by hanapaa808 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:37 am

gian, so were there anyone fishing? how did you do? did they raise the price to park there yet or is it still $5?

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:22 am

Where exactly on the Skagit? I have little experience fishing the Skagit which is why I ask. Thanks in advance....

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:14 am

gian wrote:Looks like I should have drove a bit further and went to the Skagit. Is it the north or south fork people are fishing?
Dave wrote:Where exactly on the Skagit? I have little experience fishing the Skagit which is why I ask. Thanks in advance....
I was near the 9 bridge, so I'm guessing anywhere downstream from there should be as good or better. Have fun....
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:07 am

Skagit River ...North Fork...Watch the tides....after low water the pinks will start up the river. Going north,take I-5 to Conway exit and go left,over freeway, Fir Island Rd go along to the hard right and the name changes to Browns slough rd and back to Fir Island rd. Go along and you will see a fruit stand on the left. Now watch for the next left turn, Rawlins rd and turn left. Go for a few right hand roads and watch for a bunch of trailers towards the river and turn right, towards the river. There is a boat launch there. Go up the Skagit and find a spot you like and get all the humpies you want. Shore fisherman are going past Rawlins Rd and go to the right of the Best Rd bridge and fish along the river. There are lots of places to fish along the river just look for small roads going to the left once you have started going up the Skagit. I use a Pink Dick night spoon or a Wicked Willy..(mostly found in Skagit County only) or a bobber and pink 1/8 to 1/4 oz jig. Lot's of fly fisherman along the river banks....This is a good time to Google the Skagit river and look for places to get to the river. The pinks are better when caught in the lower areas of the Skagit and other rivers. The ones we caught over the weekend still had sea lice on them. Lots of smaller pinks in the Skagit now but bigger ones should arrive within the next week or so. At least they have gotten bigger in the past runs. Look on Google from Mt Vernon down river and search for ways to get to the river and you will get fish. You can put in your boat at Mt Vernon and go down river or fish from shore at or near the bridge at Mt Vernon. You will see lot's of people fishing there. Just a note: The Snohomish river is picking up also and getting better for pinks. You can fish right in the town of Snohomish or go either up or down river...I like down. Just look for places to park along the river or ask someone that smells fishy!..LOL. Have a good time
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:33 am

fished the snohomish got 5 for 8 kept 3
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:26 am

Thanks for the Skagit river info F.C. Much apreciated.

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:03 am

Thanks FC...your info was awesome, detailed and appreciated!- Mav

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:02 am

Where is a good place on the Stilli?

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:46 pm

So much for my plans to try and avoid the crowds by going down to the North Fork. I'll see you all out there Sunday. Save me a spot for my family. I hope it's not like Bush Point out on the river.
"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:06 pm

Took a little trip down the sound from Mukilteo to Edmonds and hit the most of the beach spots today....Pretty slow ...Saw a few at Mukilteo and a couple at the shipwreck when I got to Picnic Point around 10:30 am all I saw was 1 pink being caught and 1 little coho about 12 to 14 in. I stayed there for an hour or so and saw a few fish jumping but only 3 people were fishing and they were just standing in the water 2 casters and a flyboy....The little kids were having a pretty good time playing in the water wondering what those guys were doing out there?. As I went on down the beach a few fish were jumping along the way about 30 to 50 feet out. A few were at Norma Beach and a couple at Meadowdale. Pretty slow day for the big pink run. Old Haines Warf is about to fall into the bay so I wandered on down to Edmonds fishing dock and a bunch of people were there but I didn't see many fish. Tomorrow I may head up to the Snohomish....Curado's report sounded good. Hope the beach fishing will perk up soon. Seems it is just hit and miss....If you are there at the right time, you get fish.... if not.....You can watch the kids playing in the water having a good time. Oh well... I guess it's time to get the boat out. BTW..I usually don't fish the Stiili unless it is fly fishing or I occasionally fish it with a friend who likes to fish for cutts and trout. That river needs to be left alone for while to help rejuvinate it. I remember when it was a real goto river back in the 60's. The times have changed.... As for Humpies...Try the estuaries in the lower river. Watch the tides... be careful.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:55 pm

cobrar543 wrote:Where is a good place on the Stilli?
I like fishing the Stilli under the Sylvana bridge (Sylvana / Arlington exit 208). It opens September 1st. Should be fun. To get there take the exit and head west until you hit the first bridge that goes over the river. There is a parking area there next to the tavern, or you can park alongside the roadway.

motorek
Petty Officer

Post by motorek » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:50 pm

I was today in Kayak point. Action stooped at about 8 am. When the sun rise fish were gone. Does anybody fish for them evening in the ocean?