Friday Humpy Hollow results

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Friday Humpy Hollow results

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:39 pm

Two bits of advice first:

1) make sure you have your punch card along. The closest place to the Everett launch that sells them opens up at 8:30AM
2) fish Scadget Head. Spell it how you want, but fish there.

Fishing wasn't all that hot today. The checker said she saw "onesy, twosy" from the boats that fished Humpy Hollow and the Shipwreck. She said the only limits she recorded were from boats that were at Scadget Head. Because of the missing punch card we didn't start fishing until 10AM and quit at 1:30. We caught 4 each fishing from 35' down to 65'. We both lost about the same amount.

Trolling speed was a 30-45 degree angle on the downrigger cables. The boat speed varied from 1.3 mph to 3.5 mph. Most of the fish were caught trolling the direction the tide was going. Standard white flasher and red mini-squid were used.

Make sure you have your punch card along...then you won't have two of them like I do.

Oh, our water depth was 150 to 330 feet as we looped around. Most fish were caught in a small area as we were putting icons on the fishfinder whenever we'd hook one.

Now for a nap.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

RE:Friday Humpy Hollow results

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:52 pm

thanks for the report, planning to go out Monday so that's timely information.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Easy Limits
Lieutenant

Post by Easy Limits » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:21 pm

Good to hear you got in to some fish Zen. I miss fishing Humpy Hollow.

skidynastar33
Angler

Post by skidynastar33 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:22 am

Where is Scadget Head? never heard of it

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:04 am

south end of Whidbey Island, westside of the islnad.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:48 am

I was at the Picnic Point beach on Friday about 1pm.....only 7 guys fishing and I didn't even make a cast. I watched them and saw 4 were fly fishing with pink flies 2 were using pink buzz bombs and one poor guy made his second cast and broke the graphite rod in half...I felt sorry for him, It would have been worse if the fish were there. I stayed for 2 hours just watching and didn't even see a fish rise.....They aren't here yet...soon..but not yet. Picnic pt opens at 0700 and closes at 1900..7pm. Those times will change but be careful not to leave your car inside the gate so it gets locked in for the night. I talked with several of the fisherman and they said that the humps are spotty. So....If you get some, feel lucky. Have fun and watch the blogs and forums. Steve

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:26 am

the fish are in you just cant fish the hollow or shipwreck
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

trout assault sean
Petty Officer

Post by trout assault sean » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:40 pm

i was out at kayak point last saturday, trolling, casting, no luck what so ever
SENIOR THIS YEAR AT GRANITE FALLS HIGH SCHOOL
Almost have my drivers lisence.
I would rather be fishin' than sittin' in school wishin i was fishin'.
<')}}}}><

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:53 pm

Patience....
Pinks aren't usually in thick till late August anyways....

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:42 pm

The zen boat will be out again this next Friday.

One thing I noted is my buddy limited wayyyyy before I did. If it's significant he was using the red outline glow flasher. Me, I had the standard flat white one. My thoughts were that since last Friday was pretty overcast that a glow or shiny flasher gave a fisherperson the edge. (if humpy fishing can be considered a science). One thing I'll have with me next Friday is one of the 8 inch flashers with the shiny holographic squares on them. They reflect lots more light.

Phantom18
Angler

Post by Phantom18 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:56 pm

When I was out Sunday It didn't matter what we used. One rod was rigged with an 11" green and white flasher with a 4" pink squid, and the other rod had the standard 8" humpy special white flasher and 2" pink squid. I like to inject the squid with power bait and rub a little krill paiste on my flashers. No other bait. We were out in mid channel area 9 South of the ship wreck. I'll be out there tomorrow with my son and a friend of mine. Good luck