Lake Wenatchee Sockeye fishery to open Aug. 5, 2009

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Big D

Lake Wenatchee Sockeye fishery to open Aug. 5, 2009

Post by Big D » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:34 pm

WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov

July 29, 2009
Lake Wenatchee sockeye fishery to open Aug. 5
Action: Lake Wenatchee to open for sockeye salmon fishing.
Effective date/time: Aug. 5, 2009 (one hour before official sunrise) until harvestable fish numbers have been caught.
Species affected: Sockeye salmon
Daily limit: The daily limit per angler is two sockeye 12 inches in length or longer.
Reason for action: The 2009 return of sockeye will be sufficient to provide for the Lake Wenatchee spawning escapement goal, and additional fish will be present to provide for sport fishing opportunity. While the sockeye run is relatively late throughout the Columbia River, a very robust Lake Wenatchee run is predicted.
Other information: Single point barbless hooks required. No more than three hooks may be used. No bait or scent may be attached to the hooks. Knotless nets are required. A night closure will be in effect. Legal angling hours are one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset. Bull trout, steelhead, and Chinook salmon must be released unharmed without removing the fish from the water.
Release sockeye with one or more holes (round, approximately 1/4" in diameter) punched in the tail of the fish (caudal fin). These fish are part of a study and have been anesthetized; the FDA requires a 21 day ban on consumption of these fish.
Information contact: Art Viola, (509) 665-3337 (Wenatchee District Office) (509) 662-0452, Jeff Korth (509) 754-4624.

If you decide to fish Lake Wenatchee for the Sockeye...Make sure you know the difference between a Sockeye Salmon and a Bull Trout. If you don't know the difference the Game Wardens will be more than happy to supply you with a written description (Ticket) when they check your boat prior to you leaving the area.

Here's a couple of photo's to help you identify the difference:

Ocean Sockeye:

Freshwater Sockeye:

Bull Trout: Remember...No Black-Put it Back

Good Luck & I hope to see you on the water.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

RE:Lake Wenatchee Sockeye fishery to open Aug. 5, 2009

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:33 am

wish I could go, but I'm taking my son to college that week. There are some old reports from previous seasons I've posted if anyone is interested. It's easy fishing, just like Lake Washington.

Here's a couple articles:

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReadArticle.aspx?id=26

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReadArticle.aspx?id=297

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:23 am

i will be there
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:21 am

Big D wrote:WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov

July 29, 2009
Lake Wenatchee sockeye fishery to open Aug. 5
Action: Lake Wenatchee to open for sockeye salmon fishing.
Effective date/time: Aug. 5, 2009 (one hour before official sunrise) until harvestable fish numbers have been caught.
Species affected: Sockeye salmon
Daily limit: The daily limit per angler is two sockeye 12 inches in length or longer.
Reason for action: The 2009 return of sockeye will be sufficient to provide for the Lake Wenatchee spawning escapement goal, and additional fish will be present to provide for sport fishing opportunity. While the sockeye run is relatively late throughout the Columbia River, a very robust Lake Wenatchee run is predicted.
Other information: Single point barbless hooks required. No more than three hooks may be used. No bait or scent may be attached to the hooks. Knotless nets are required. A night closure will be in effect. Legal angling hours are one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset. Bull trout, steelhead, and Chinook salmon must be released unharmed without removing the fish from the water.
Release sockeye with one or more holes (round, approximately 1/4" in diameter) punched in the tail of the fish (caudal fin). These fish are part of a study and have been anesthetized]If you decide to fish Lake Wenatchee for the Sockeye...Make sure you know the difference between a Sockeye Salmon and a Bull Trout. If you don't know the difference the Game Wardens will be more than happy to supply you with a written description (Ticket) when they check your boat prior to you leaving the area.[/b]
Excelent point on identification "D". All though the differences between a flaming red sockeye and a Bull or King is kinda like the difference between an cow and a grizzly. Lets hope everyone brings pictures. =)
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:25 am

curado wrote:i will be there
Hey! now you stay away from those anesthetized fish........... When you get done with the socks and the kitty litter hits the river, give me a shout and I'll throw the tub in and we go for a pink fest.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Big D

Post by Big D » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:44 am

Bodofish wrote:Excelent point on identification "D". All though the differences between a flaming red sockeye and a Bull or King is kinda like the difference between an cow and a grizzly. Lets hope everyone brings pictures. =)
Hey Bodo,
You're 100% correct. Most of us have no issues telling the difference between Sockeyes and Bull Trout but I've seen the Wardens burn through ticket books like they were on fire. Lots of tickets were written for retention of Bull Trout followed by the over limit and barbed hook tickets.
I guess my point is if you fish Lake Wenatchee during the Sockeye season you're going to be checked by the Wardens. Make sure you know the regs and stick to them.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Big D

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:40 am

thats sad people cant tell the difference between a bull and a sockeye. hey here are some pics from tumwater canyon dam 1st one is a kinger the second is a sockeye
Attachments
random_pics_295_Medium.jpg
random_pics_295_Medium.jpg (59.79 KiB) Viewed 1703 times
random_pics_297_Medium.jpg
random_pics_297_Medium.jpg (69.32 KiB) Viewed 1703 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

slicbob
Petty Officer

Post by slicbob » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:12 pm

How do you catch the sockeye if you don't have downriggers, or doggers. I guess I can buy doggers, but it would be nice to know what the other options are. Thanks in advance.
Bob

Big D

Post by Big D » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:50 pm

Hey slicbob,
Downriggers are the most effective way to catch Lake Wenatchee Sockeye, but a 4- to 8-ounce lead crescent sinker attached to a 0-size chrome dodger with a short 9- to 12-inch leader pulling two barbless bare red, blue or black hooks will work just fine. Troll slow...1 mph or less.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big D

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:31 pm

and don't cut in front of other boats!

Big D

Post by Big D » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:34 pm

You've got that right Mike.
Every boat on the lake will be trolling so don't follow too closely behind or cut across anyone wake either.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big D

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:57 pm

especially if you're long-lining. So many guys have DR now. Off topic, but it's getting the same way with steelhead float fishing vrs. drift fishing. Used to be hardly any float guys, now it seems like there are more of them than the drifters. OK, back to sockeye!

When we fished there several years ago the evening bite was kind of tough, but the morning bite - unreal! off the water by I think 9am?? It was amazing, and the fish although dark were just as edible as lake WA sockeye. yum!

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:35 pm

here is my lake wenatchee sockeye
Attachments
random_pics_341_Medium.jpg
random_pics_341_Medium.jpg (84.31 KiB) Viewed 1589 times

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:57 pm

Lake wenatchee closes aug 11

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

hanapaa808
Warrant Officer

Post by hanapaa808 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:56 pm

curado, i think that we have the same boat. think myabe you could send me a couple pics of your boat and the custom things you have done to it? for example, how you guys made the downrigger mounts. thanks. by the way, nice fish!!!

Big D

Post by Big D » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:45 am

curado wrote:Lake wenatchee closes aug 11
A little more info:
No sooner than it had opened the Lake Wenatchee sockeye fishery will close Aug. 11, one hour after official sunset.
According to state Fish and Wildlife's press release sockeye mortality, both substantial and unexpected, has occurred during migration up the Wenatchee River
due to high water temperatures. Consequently, sufficient numbers of sockeye are not available to continue the Lake Wenatchee sport-fishing season.
As of 10 August anglers have caught 2,040 sockeye from Lake Wenatchee.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big D