New project for the salt

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Gisteppo
Commodore

RE:New project for the salt

Post by Gisteppo » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:03 pm

C-dory is another boat that is easy to get up on step but a bugger of a ride.
True. Flat bottomed boats, they are true dories. The newer model 23' venture has improved ride over the earlier dories, and is very similar to this hull shape. It will never be an offshore racer, but she will get home safely.

E

flippinfool
Commander

Post by flippinfool » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:28 pm

WHY DONT WE JUST GO INTO THE BOAT BUILDING BIZ FULL TIME IAM DOWN!
LIVE LIFE DONT LET LIFE LIVE YOU GO FISHIN!!!!!!!!

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:55 pm

Gisteppo wrote:The stats are like this:

23' LOA

8'6" beam (special order, this is an extra wide model)

8" side decks with STOUT backing for downriggers

18 degrees of deadrise forward

12 degrees aft

Working deck is 7'6" (the width of most production boats overall)

140hp volvo IO, will be adding a kicker bracket with probably a 9.9 2 cyl 4 stroke such as the Suzuki or Yam

The hp may seem low to you, but she is a dory. That shallow deadrise combined with a little warp from bow to stern initiates planing at an ultra-slow 9 mph. She planes slow, which equates to excellent efficiency. Even the full cabin 26 footer above her in the lineup had the 140 volvo/SX outdrive combo. Top speed on most of the researched models ran around 33-38 mph depending on load, and a comfy cruise of around 25mph. Great for an offshore chop, not too fast to fly off wave tops, not so slow that you are plowing away.

Plan so far is two downriggers on the corners (able to spin into the propwash aft, right on the edge of the transom), two outward facing rod holders, a single central rod holder (set up for the diver fisheries at B10), and I am very seriously considering putting outriggers on the hardtop to do a wider spread for salmon and maybe someday tuna. She's wide enough to put a third downrigger on, but how often are you fishing 3 lines deep on your boat?

Also, if its my boat, I can puke wherever I want to!
Where have you taken into consideration the extra drag due to the added width? Your new boat is just road legal. Most boats the length of yours are only 7ft 6in wide. Take it from one who knows - added width creates a ton of added drag. My 26 ft cruiser is 9ft 6in in width with 325 shaft horsepower and I can only get 25 knots on a good day. I can't imagine a 140 shaft horsepower being enough to push that boat at the speeds you have calculated. Good luck on your project. I hope you won't be disappointed.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:10 pm

Stamp, she's a dory hull. The beam at the waterline is 2 full feet narrower than the gunnels. Dories are deeply flared boats, which is what contributes to much of her seaworthiness. Most production boats are slab sided, with vertical lines from waterline to gunnel. The Clipper is 6'6" from chine to chine, making her narrower than her production brethren where the water is concerned. When a wave bumps into this flare, she rolls away from it because of the increase in buoyancy. Much of the efficiency can be attributed to such narrow lines at the waterline.

So long as she can run smoothly at 15kts loaded, and 25kts WOT, Im happy, but you will find when she's not completely loaded to the gills, she will do 30.

Im thinking about having a boat ride day in Seattle so everyone can see the mysterious boat actually get on a plane with people on it.

E

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:44 pm

G...Those pic's of those trollers are really cool! I worked on a troller (46' wooden type 15ton fish-hold) called the Astrid out of Seattle. We would plow along at about 13 knots light and 8k loaded. All the way to the Showboat spot about 1000 mi out from San Pedro fishing for tuna and north to Leonard Island for Kings. I went to Pt Barrow one summer on a tugboat and only averaged 5.5k Top speed for the round trip from Seattle. One thing about goin' slow is you get to see the scenery. I have seen those little boats that you showed but never new what they were. I just thought they were owned by a guy that carried a bunch of rods with him. I learn a little every day. Your boat will be nice when it gets done and has a little soul added. We gotta get off this subject and let you get back to work..LOL :-) Go for it! Steve

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:34 pm

that is gonna be a nice dory
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:46 am

Here is a 23 foot clipper with the largest cabin they ever built on the boats. This is the same hull with much more superstructure, extra tankage, much heavier than what I intend. Same engine (4 cyl IO) doing 23 knots:

Just shows what kind of versatility I have to work with.

Been getting the house ready for 2 weeks worth of family reunions, so the boat project has been running slow.

Did a mockup of a center pilothouse/walkaround setup, but It didn't seem to fit too well with the V berth forward. I need the place to sleep to cut costs on fishing trips (moorage fees only, no hotels) so thats mandatory.

Self bailing sole height is getting finalized for the most part, somewhere around 4" above the waterline. Should give quite a bit of flexibility as far as the load is concerned, as it looks like it will take around 450 ppi (pounds per inch) to sink her. That gives the scuppers around 2" above the waterline while the boat is loaded for fishing and 2-3 crew. Im going to do flappered scuppers to keep waves from slopping in. I also may be stuck with putting them in the transom (not my ideal) to keep cockpit depth as deep as possible.

E

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:23 pm

Clippercraft project commencing in T minus 2 weeks....

Finally gonna have the space to work and room to use the tools....

E

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:24 am

Very nice Gisteppo. A boat like that would fit my needs perfectly as well. I have absolutely no boat building experience, so I don't know the specifics, but it looks pretty stable, safe, and light. Good luck on the project....
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:44 am

Gisteppo wrote:Clippercraft project commencing in T minus 2 weeks....

That was kinda an expensive way to build yourself a new workshop huh? :cheers: How much of the shop project are you doing yourself?

Those framing pics bring back haunting memories...

Didn't mean to hijack your thread but couldn't resist. I've "been there, done that" on a pole frame shop. :-"
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:58 am

pole buildings#-o :-$
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
fish on!

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:45 am

Rolland, lets go hit B-ham bay when its done! Do a little salmon fishing up there and maybe a little crabbing, should be a good trip sometime!

Phil, I found a buddy that would do it for $1000 more than the kit would have cost me, so its all been somewhat hands-off for me. I really wish I could afford a building the size of yours, that would be such a luxury.

E

flippinfool
Commander

Post by flippinfool » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:10 pm

Gisteppo wrote:Clippercraft project commencing in T minus 2 weeks....

E
HEY THAT GUYS NOT TIED OFF AND THATS OVER 10 FEET AND I DONT SEE ANY SAFETY GLASSES THATS A 500.00 FINE AND THE OTHER GUY HAS SHORTS ON AND PROBABLY NOT EVEN REPORTED OH MY ! I AM CALLIN L AND I !:colors:
LIVE LIFE DONT LET LIFE LIVE YOU GO FISHIN!!!!!!!!

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:42 pm

Flip that pic has thousands in L&I fines on it:-"
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:26 pm

Luckily L&I doesn't have the same requirements for homeowners and their friends building a structure....

E

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:02 pm

Gisteppo wrote:Luckily L&I doesn't have the same requirements for homeowners and their friends building a structure....
Hehehe, yep, same holds true for family members too, L&I would have had a heyday during my "barn raising" but what we did was none of their business - no contractors on site. :cheers:
Gisteppo wrote:Phil, I found a buddy that would do it for $1000 more than the kit would have cost me, so its all been somewhat hands-off for me. I really wish I could afford a building the size of yours, that would be such a luxury.
Had mine been built for the money I contracted for it wouldn't have been too bad, but having the contractor scam me out of $23,666 was not my idea of fun and games. Needless to say, my shop cost a lot more than it should have. :colors: I guess it all works out in the end, the crooked contractor is doing hard time to the tune of 18years for the scam he was running. Not much consolation to me though, I would have rather the judge ordered the b*****d to build all the buildings he contracted for on sweat labor and instead of the state incarcerating him for 18 years, they paid all the victims the money being wasted on him in jail. :-({|=

Oh well, nothing I can do about it now....:-"
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:26 pm

Gisteppo wrote:Rolland, lets go hit B-ham bay when its done! Do a little salmon fishing up there and maybe a little crabbing, should be a good trip sometime!

E
Anyime E, it would be a pleasure...
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

Drumdog
Petty Officer

Post by Drumdog » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:38 am

Gisteppo....

Are you sure your shop is going to be big enough?

I think ....not ! LOL :-"
Attachments
Shop_too_small.jpg
Shop_too_small.jpg (366.07 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I had to do it over again.....I would have caught a bigger one!

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:23 am

Man if thats not the story of my life.....

Nice photoshop work D!

E

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:20 pm

Gisteppo wrote:Man if thats not the story of my life.....

Nice photoshop work D!

E
Hahaha, that's too funny! :cheers:
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision