BBQ Salmon

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
Smar969905
Petty Officer

BBQ Salmon

Post by Smar969905 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:03 pm

So this is one i have been using for a few years, and has always been a success.

first get out a piece of aluminum foil that is enough to wrap the entire fish and throw the salmon fillet down toward one end and curl the edges up to make a little bit of a boat for it. in a bowl, mix some mayonnaise and soy sauce until you get a light tan color. i have never measured this ever, and the person i got the recipe from never measured either. pour the mayo mix over the top of the salmon. sprinkle by hand some brown sugar over the top. fold the rest of the foil over the fish but leave it off the fish so you keep the topping on the fish and not the foil, and curl the edges to make it a fairly tight seal.

put the whole thing on the barbeque and cook it for a little while. do use a plate or platter of some sort to transport the fish back and forth, because no matter how hard you try, it will find a way to drip sauce out.

i have used this before when camping and of 3 or 4 types of salmon cooked up, mine was voted best (even though there was no soy sauce involved, just other salt type things). i have also used veganaise when making this for my sister in law who is allergic to eggs, and it came out just as well.
Image Image
If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape, then it isn't broken

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:BBQ Salmon

Post by racfish » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:09 pm

When I do a BBQ salmon I put down a bed of either lettuce leaves or really any green leafy veg,or the best is banana leaves.They are a lil hard to find in our climate.I dont use much seasoning on kings at all.Salt ,pepper,fresh lemons sliced and a few red pepper flakes and bbq it like that.Cohos pinks and sockeye I'll dress up a lil more.Using the leaves allows the smoke to penetrate and keeps the skin from sticking to the grill.
Your recipe sounds great .I cant eat mayo or sugar ,but I also do the foil boat.Works great.Good eating.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:00 pm

Race he said Salmon#-o not Mutten:cheers: and 1st you have to catch a few:cyclopsan :colors: lol

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:41 pm

Thanks for the recipe. I will try it when the pinks arrive. I know they’re only pinks but when caught in the Sound and cleaned immediately and put on ice, they bake up and or BBQ very nicely so I enjoy them when they are here and catch as many as I can during the window of opportunity. I also smoke many of them which is some good eats for sure. I like to melt butter in a sauce pan and add brown sugar (I use Splenda) and a dash of lemon juice to the mixture before pouring it over the salmon and baking it open-faced. Man it’s good. Thanks again for your recipe. I look forward to trying it soon.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:57 pm

When these pinks show up and you are thinking of another way to cook 'em try smoking them for 1 pan and then put them on the BBQ to finish off. Add some onion rings and lemon and dill and to those that can eat mayo put a little spread of that to keep all moist. If the mayo is out then a little sour cream works well. I sometimes mix it 50/50 with the mayo. No reason to put it on foil if your BBQ has a lid ...just skin down or you want to keep it all clean. BTW don't brine them, just cut them up in wide filets. Each pink will make about 6 pieces......or so. Enjoy

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:42 am

I know for me and probably Dave the reason Mayo is out is the fat content of mayo.Sour cream is even higher in fat.In my quest to lose weight I've given up so really good foods but I feel my health is way more important then my tummy.I use a lil Pam spray to add a lil moisture to food or fat free mayo.The problem with Fat free foods is that instead of a fat they put in High fructose corn syrup which is prolly just as bad.Losing weight and keeping it off is a real challenge but a good one.Dave I'm still going buddy and now down almost 70 lbs.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”