Newbie to Western Washington fishing looking for advice

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
dodsonjg
Angler

Newbie to Western Washington fishing looking for advice

Post by dodsonjg » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:19 pm

So I've lived in Snohomish County for about 5 years now but until recently I'd never fished in this area. My family and I have been trying Gissberg ponds up in Smokey Point but haven't been able to catch anything. We fish from shore and have tried the following:

Bottom fishing with powerbait and power eggs with a 12-16inch leader.
Bottom fishing with worms. Injected the worms with air so they would float as well.
Top fishing with powerbait, power eggs, and worms.
We also used yellow and white spinners.
Powerbait and eggs are Charteuse

The majority of my fishing experinece was in Eastern Washington for Bass and in Florida at a small lake for bass. I would typically leave having caught plenty of fish but none of us can seem to catch anything around here. Anyone have some tips for catching fish around here? I'm thinking that we are doing something wrong but I can't figure it out. While we would prefer catching some bass or even catfish; at this point I've been trying for trout just to catch something.

Any advice regarding baits, rigs, and techniques for catching fish around here would be greatly appreciated. My kids are starting to dislike fishing because they think there just aren't any fish in the water!!

I'm also looking for some advice on good lakes to go to within about 30-45 minutes of Everett. Preferably someplace that isn't crowded, is easy enough for kids to fish at, and is good for fish other than trout.

Thanks!

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

RE:Newbie to Western Washington fishing looking for advice

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:00 pm

Gissburg Ponds is my favorite spot for trout this time of year. My best spots are usually along the north shoreline, of the south pond. Increase your leader length to about 25-30 inches. There are thick weeds when you cast out, and so you need the longer leader to get your bait about the weeds.

Power bait is all I ever used there.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:13 pm

For good fishing your going to need a boat. Fishing from the bank your fishing areas are in one part of the lake. The way your fishing sounds ok you should be in the fish. I'ed go some where else. There are many lakes around try them out.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

fishnazzi
Warrant Officer

Post by fishnazzi » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:24 pm

I would also try dropping your leader size to 2lb test it really does make a big difference.

Smar969905
Petty Officer

Post by Smar969905 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:41 am

Lake Stickney is small enough that you should be able to cast out most of the way, and it is right down off 128th street. Marth Lake is off 164th, and it a bit bigger but has public docks to fish from. Silver Lake in south everett is ok to fish from, but not really worth it. Lake Stevens is not worth the time without a boat, and even with a boat, it usually doesn't do anything for a lot of people, but does have kokanee. Up in the smokey point area, if you kept going west off the freeway, it takes you out toward Lakewood and the "7 Lakes" area. Lake Ki doesn't have a lot of bank access for fishing, but there is some, and it generally does decent for bass. Lake Goodwin is the biggest of the lakes in this area, and toward the east end, it supposedly has a lot of bass, but i have usually gone toward the west end where there is a natural spring and trout seem to go over here (and my grandma has a cabin very close to this spot). Goodwin is one that you will do better with a boat though, whether a paddle boat, kayak, canoe, or any thing else that will keep you floating and let you move around. Over near Lake Stevens is Lake Cassidy. It has a dock accessible off of the Centennial Trail, although i have never fished this lake. When i was riding my bike, i would see people out fishing there quite a bit, but the dock is small. There are a lot of plants in the water that grow up quite a ways, so it could be good for bass.

Hope this helps out a bit. I've been more of a trout guy than a bass guy all my life. it is just how my father conditioned me.
Image Image
If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape, then it isn't broken

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:36 am

Hey Smar969905

Can I play with your kitty?

mike pederson
Angler

Post by mike pederson » Wed May 06, 2009 4:51 pm

yes the guy is right I would try Lk stevens, Lk goodwin ive been catching some pretty nice fish at Lk goodwin 21.5 over 5lbs also try about a4FT leader

mike pederson
Angler

Post by mike pederson » Wed May 06, 2009 4:53 pm

:cheers:

flippinfool
Commander

Post by flippinfool » Wed May 06, 2009 5:37 pm

what ever you do dont listen to anything BASSIN BOMBER says if he replies that guys a BIG liar and a bait mooch too ! he thinks he knows everything! TEAM EATIN MARSHMELLOWS
LIVE LIFE DONT LET LIFE LIVE YOU GO FISHIN!!!!!!!!

T-Bone
Petty Officer

Post by T-Bone » Sat May 09, 2009 5:20 am

Lake Padden, South of Bellingham has a park all around it with good fishing for trout.

Lake Terrell, North of Bellingham has some large trout, largemouth bass and some very large channel catfish (up to 20lbs.!); better from a boat, but it does have two docks.