Buying new boat - Have many questions

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Buying new boat - Have many questions

Post by Aaron » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:50 pm

So I want to buy a new boat. It will be the most expensive thing I've ever purchased other than my home, and I would be lying if I said it didn't scare me a bit. I think after tax and licensing it will be in the $34,000 range. I can afford it, the payments are fine, but with the current state of this country's economy, I have my concerns about making such a large purchase. I want to get a new Hewescraft 18' Sportsman with all the bells and whistles. (AnglinArcher always points out the extra 6".. so its really an 18'+6" boat) :)

1) What's the resale market like for newer boats? What happens if I regret buyiung it and want to unload it next year? Will it be difficult, or will it retian a lot of its value if I take care of it?

2) I have a "stock" hitch on my 2004 Mercury Mountaineer that I'm currently using to tow my boat around. It's a standard Class II receiver hitch. I "think" it can handle around 3400lbs. The vehicle is AWD with a v6. Skipper Bill said the boat is about 2000lbs with the trailer. Is this a good match?

3) What are the yearly maintenance costs for a boat of this nature?

4) Has anyone owned this exact boat? Opinions?

Here's the breakdown of the boat:

Hewescraft 18' Sportsman - Red
MERCURY 115 HP. FOUR STROKE WITH 5 YEAR WARRANY,
MERCURY 8 HP. FOUR STROKE WITH ELECTRIC START,
2 EA. CANNON UNI-TROLL 5 MANUAL DOWNRIGGERS,
LOWRANCE LMS-510C COLOR FISH FINDER,
EZ LOADER GALVANIZED TRAILER WITH SWING TONGUE,
TIE BAR,
SLICK BUNKS,
TOP, SIDE CURTAINS, FISH CURTAIN,
BOW RAILS,
LIVEWELL,
DUAL WINDSHIELD WIPERS,
UPGRADED SWIVEL SEATS,
SHORT JUMP SEATS,
COURTESY LIGHTS,
WASH DOWN SYSTEM,
REAR SEAT CUSHIONS,
SWIM PLATFORM WITH LADDER,
2 EA. TRAXSTECH 36" TRACKS,
2 EA. TRAXSTECH LEXAN ROD HOLDERS,
2 EA. TRAXSTECH 3" SWIVELS,
24 GALLON GAS TANK,
SPARE TIRE AND MOUNT,
CHINE LOAD GUIDES,
FUEL HOOK-UP
BATTERY
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

Dave
Commodore

RE:Buying new boat - Have many questions

Post by Dave » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Hey Aaron,

I've talked about Hewescraft boats on this site several times and all I can say is I love my 2002 Hewescraft 163 sea runner. It is an absolutely outstanding boat! Have a look in the paper and boat trader. It is likely that you won't see any Hewescrafts for sale. The reason being they are great boats and people keep them. If I had it to do over again I would have bought the 18' with the transom mount (I think that is what it is called) for your outboard which allows for the most freeboard at the rear of your boat, and more room in the boat. I love my Hewescraft and would only sell it someday if I decide I want a bigger one. I believe the re-sale is very good on these boats as well. They come with a full canopy, sides, and back with zipper door. Yearly maintenance is an oil change and water fuel separator change. The water fuel separator looks like an oil filter and is no biggie to change. Obviously wash it after each use which I do. Other than that just maintaining your batteries is all you will need to do. Use a good deep cucle trickle charger that you can leave on in the winter and you are good to go.

I garage mine so if you can do that I recommend it. My boat still gets compliments at the launch this many years later using it almost exclusively in the salt. My boat came with a Honda 75 hp 4 stroke which I wanted. They are a great engine and very dependable. I tow my Hewes with my 2005 V8 Toyota 4runner with no issues at all. I use the hitch that came with my vehicle. It is my guess that the V6 will do just as well with maybe a slight difference in power going up hill. Great boat choice and you can't go wrong with a hewescraft. WALakes member "Hewesfisher" also has a Sportsman so PM him for info on his boat if you like. Great choice! Also, it doesn't hurt to shop around so when you do buy your new Hewes, you will know you bought what you wanted. No regrets then! Good luck. Pics are from 2008 with the canopy on and this year with it off. Both at Lake Goodwin in Snohomish County. Boat numbers were removed from the pics.
Attachments
IMG_2695_Small.jpg
IMG_2695_Small.jpg (65.84 KiB) Viewed 6458 times
IMG_1486_Small.jpg
IMG_1486_Small.jpg (55.95 KiB) Viewed 6459 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:47 pm

The only thing I can say to your questions about changing your mind and the resale is ...it is only worth what someone will pay you when you want to sell it. If no one has the money then you have to keep it.
Or you could just give it to me.
:bom:
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:18 pm

Aaron, you are very smart to ask the questions up front. I think you are doing the exact right thing, and I kind of wish I had done the same thing you are doing.

First, I don't exactly point out the extra 6", I just got called out on another web site for "under reporting" the size so I guess I just got into the habbit.:-" :-({|=

But seriously, on to my humble opinions.

Resale on boats is actually pretty good, much better then a car, but don't buy thinking you can sell it next year without taking a loss. By taking care of the boat, you will minimize the loss, but it will be a loss. I would suggest that you want to be pretty sure before you make the plunge.

I think that I would also consider upgrading your hitch. Sure, the stock is enough, but in an emergency stop or turn, the added stress will exceed the rating. I would not run right out and upgrade, but I would consider doing it later down the road.

Yearly maintenance is minimal for a boat like this. You will need change out the oil, but you can get a pump and do it yourself pretty easy. You will probably want an onboard battery charger, but that is not really maintenance. About once every two or three years you might want to change out your downrigger wire, but that depends on a lot of factors. Personally, I don't change mine out as often as most people suggest. Winterizing is really just a matter of making sure the water pump is drained, and you can do that by tilting the outboard down and touching the key for a fraction of a second (do not allow the motor to start and run).

As for the boat, it sounds like a great one, but it is too much for this old coot, so you had better asl some one else about the exact boat.#-o
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:44 pm

Alrighty then. All of these responses give me a good feeling about the boat. It's not that I'm the type to regret my decisions, but I just wanted to make sure that the value of the boat wasn't going to go down so much that it would be impossible to get from under the loan if I had a major emergency. I have a family to think about and don't want to make any decisions that could put our future in peril.

So.. that being said, I think I'm going to go do some comparison shopping this week and make sure it's really "the" deal for me. The Bighorn show is coming up this weekend so I'm sure the dealers will have some special packages put together.

Ohh.. I did forget to mention that I included the price of them adding in a TR-1 auto-pilot system. I want to be able to fish hands off when possible and be able to go fishing by myself and not worry about driving AND fishing.

I'll update this thread after doing more research and window shopping so others can benefit from what I find.

Anyone with a TR-1 that wants to comment on the benefits or drawbacks of owning one?
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:11 pm

You won't have any regrets. They are a great boat. I owned a 14' with a 9.8 Merc and loved it.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:41 pm

Aaron wrote:Alrighty then. All of these responses give me a good feeling about the boat. It's not that I'm the type to regret my decisions, but I just wanted to make sure that the value of the boat wasn't going to go down so much that it would be impossible to get from under the loan if I had a major emergency. I have a family to think about and don't want to make any decisions that could put our future in peril.

So.. that being said, I think I'm going to go do some comparison shopping this week and make sure it's really "the" deal for me. The Bighorn show is coming up this weekend so I'm sure the dealers will have some special packages put together.

Ohh.. I did forget to mention that I included the price of them adding in a TR-1 auto-pilot system. I want to be able to fish hands off when possible and be able to go fishing by myself and not worry about driving AND fishing.

I'll update this thread after doing more research and window shopping so others can benefit from what I find.

Anyone with a TR-1 that wants to comment on the benefits or drawbacks of owning one?
TR-1's are freaking sweet, but darn expensive. Why not get a kicker and get an ez steer bracket connected to your main? Lots cheaper....You'll do just fine with an ez steer bracket and a lot richer...

Hewes seems to be good boats. Lots of competitors, but not a lot of Hewes on the used boat market, which says something good about them.

Why not go used if your unsure of the big costs of owning a new boat? Lots of guys freaking out and unloading their toys. Moreso the waterski/board/pleasure boats, but the fishing guys are also selling their rigs as well. Lots of good deals to be had out there.

Also, be aware of the dealers at the boat shows. They'll often rig boats with the bottom line HP motors to keep the price down because thats where the price fluctuates the most, because the money is in the engine. Nothing is worse then an underpowered boat, I've always been a fan of putting a good amount of HP on a boat. Not always needed, but when you want it or have a full load of passengers, its nice to be able to get on step and quick.

Here are some good boats that compete with Hewescraft
http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/1067931778.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/1069441080.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/boa/1070918560.html

Good luck with whatever you come up with and let us know when the new ride arrives at home...
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:00 am

A9 makes two very good points. Under-powered new boats are a classic way to keep the price down. Under-power will make it harder to tube out of depending on how many are in the boat. Second, there are sure to be lot's of boats for sale in eastern WA/ID. I would not rule it out as an option. If you can find one with minimal use and well cared for you could get quite a deal. Boats don't depreciate like cars, and boats on your side of the state don't have saltwater issues to worry about. My 18 footer came from ID.Don't get married to Hewescraft without more exploration of other boats.

And definitely plan on getting a class 4 hitch installed.

I ran a search on www.boattrader.com, there were 16 Hewescraft listed for sale in the 16-18 ft range:
Hewescraft WA search

Have fun with your search. One last consideration - which if you're chomping at the bit may not go over too good - spring is when most people want to buy - fall is when most boat owners want to sell (they've had their fun for the season plus who wants to store a boat another winter?). I think you'll get a better deal in the fall. Plus it would give you several months to save for a good down payment and get used to those monthly payments you'll be signing up for.

Just a few thoughts to chew on.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:07 am

Here is the owner's forum where you can get more real-world data:

http://hewescraft.30.forumer.com/index.php?act=idx

My Hewes is 30 years old now, and still does the trick in the ocean as well as the lakes (went out yesterday and hooked a few as a matter of fact). The photo at the bottom of the post is my hewes out playing in the waves at Netarts bay. Its the old riveted type, and not nearly as strong (though lighter and more efficient) as the newer boats.

Id definitely look at used boats as A9 showed above. Same info from Portland:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/1077418168.html 13k

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/1074025692.html 16k

Same boats, broken in, for considerably less. Personally my boat was bought, broke the motor (my fault) shortly thereafter, and did some jockeying around with buying and selling parts to come up with a hull that cost me $200 outright. Slapped on a used F50TLRC yam outboard, and now I bomb around for 2 days of fishing on 6 gal of gas.

Older boats are always a good deal cost-wise. Aluminum boats hold their value astonishingly well, esp in western Oregon because of the relatively small number of lakes to all the rivers. As stated above, look in places like Boise, Lewiston, Bend, Grants Pass, Klamath, and the other river running areas for great deals on metal boats.

E

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:43 am

I could never save up enough money to buy a used boat outright. I don't have the patience. I'm not even sure I could save enough for a good down payment before something else caught my attention. I'd just end up diverting the funds to something else. When you talk about buying a used boat, most banks (I think), my bank in particular, won't loan more than about 80% of the value. Which leaves a LOT left to come up with when we're talking about boats in the $20-$30k range. As well, a used boat would leave me with 3 boats, where I would really prefer to be able to offload my Livingston as a trade in if possible. Also, it seems like nobody else appreciates the newness factor. I'm not sure I want a boat that someone else broke in. Sure, a broken in motor is no biggie... but broken in paint, carpet, glass, upholstery... those things would bug the hell out of me if someone else ruined them. Don't get me wrong.. I realize it's a fishing boat and over time all of those things will have something happen to them, but if they are already broken in when I buy the boat, I don't think my inner child would be smiling anymore and I'm not sure buying the boat would be worth it to me. I've always bought the used boat. The one that someone else needed to get rid of that comes with the unmentioned problems that you find out about later. Also, I can't add to the boat to make it "complete" if I buy it used. I have a lot of absolute requirements I want in a boat if I going to spend this much on it, and only a few of the boats come with everything I want. It needs full curtains. It needs 2 motors, at least 4 if not 6 seats (like the skipper bills one does), a ladder is preferred, mapping GPS sonar, 18 feet is best so that I don't have to upgrade my rig with it, and I want a TR-1 Auto Pilot on it. There's just no way I'm going to get the boat I want if I buy it used, and I don't want to get it and then piece together the things I want after the fact.

A couple of you have mentioned that I should watch out for underpowered motors. Is the Merc 115 an underpowered motor for this boat? When I go looking for other boats in this size, whats a good minimum HP rating for them? Are all motors created equal? Is the HP rating as meaningless as power ratings on stereo speakers are?
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:51 am

I'm sure there are plenty of gently used boats out there with no wear and tear....Have a mechanic inspect a used boat if you go that way....He'll look at it and the motor and let you know if there's something wrong...

A 115 would do that boat just fine. It would be a problem if they put anything like a 75hp on then you'd have reason for concern. A 115 should really get that 18' Hewes moving....

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:24 am

So, the word is good about Hewescraft. What about these:

Customweld
Weldcraft
Lund

Are these equally respectable brands?
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:28 am

The 115 on your boat will drive it nearly 40mph. I have almost the exact same boat, a Raider Pro Fisherman 185, with a 115hp Evinrude and I top out at about 42mph lightly loaded. In this day and age, a motor rated for 115 is going to give you 115hp. the only differences in performance will be because of weight, how it's propped and geared and if it's 2 stroke or a 4 stroke. Make sure your dealer is willing to work with you on prop selection. Once the motor is broken in, you should be able to tell if the unit is propped correctly. Don't take his word that he selected the perfect prop unless he was able to run it at wide open throttle loaded with the gear you'd normally take on a fishing trip and a full tank of gas. I have a 8 hp kicker that I connect to my main motor using a rod that attaches to the ball joints of both motors. If you want to save some $$$ get one in stainless for less than $50 and your set. Motor connection rod
This style of boat is great for fishing with small kids, you have a lot of freeboard and the canvas can be put up to keep out the elements. Add a buddy heater and you'll be out fishing in comfort during the dead of winter. I also pull skiers and tubes without any problems, though you may want to invest in a second prop with a slightly smaller pitch to keep your motor happier when you load up the boat with people or gear. This is not a knock on your setup but is something that would help most boaters who use their boat for fishing, hunting, camping and other watersports. My wife convinced me to pull the trigger on buying new as the price of a good used boat, setup the way I wanted, at the time was not all that much less than new and I had been looking for several years. If you look on boattrader.com you can gauge how well your boat will hold its value, needless to say I bought new because most folks didn't want to sell their Hews, North River, Raider or Duckworth and those that did got a pretty penny in return.

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:04 am

G-Man wrote: My wife convinced me to pull the trigger on buying new as the price of a good used boat, setup the way I wanted, at the time was not all that much less than new and I had been looking for several years. If you look on boattrader.com you can gauge how well your boat will hold its value, needless to say I bought new because most folks didn't want to sell their Hews, North River, Raider or Duckworth and those that did got a pretty penny in return.
This is exactly why I am looking to buy a new boat. If I got a used one I would spend the next few years getting it rigged the way I want and I'll have put in about as much as I would have on a new one.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:08 am

Aaron wrote:So, the word is good about Hewescraft. What about these:

Customweld
Weldcraft
Lund

Are these equally respectable brands?
Yes.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:47 pm

Width in the work bench fish on area:-$ :cheers: , length, side height entry V, bottom support and design.
Horsepower, kickers, kicker pocket built into the transom, wash downs, trailer tandeum, brake system, carring weight in real water conditions, over nighter, tuber, skiing, big blue, trim tabs, Nav systems, GPS, VHF, Lighted Compass, hand wash systems , cutting bait and fish areas, rear deck lights front driving lights, heat, seating lay outs
Delta pad or Radius hull and 250' bottom all the structures, side, intake and front sub structure, rigid hull that creates stress and cracks , pre flex technology and a list again that will be pages long.

If you have not had as least 4 or 5 tubs each time looking for more and why you are doing this none of the above will matter and ran all waters none of the above matters.

Did I help design my personal tub or did I buy a factory cookie cutter which is FINE it will not matter to most so get what you think is the best but make the dealer, factory , seller run it in glass, chop, swells heavy loads and light loads there are mayor differnces in all boats and builds and since the market went futher south many cheapen there products and added on goodies that look sweet and last as long as a fish run!
Do your homework and leg work drive and run at least 10 makes and models where the length, width and HP are close comparing apples to apples not Pears#-o , make and take notes bring a buddy look at fit and finish ask every question I have found 25 guys the boat that fit there needs but like most needs things change families grow or get less get the most first or its the 2ft upgrades gig about every 3 years.

Make sure it fits your family, fishing and all water sports needs:compress: :cheers:

You want a Real custom PM me 1 only builds every detail covered from day one to a lifetime latter :-& :-#

PS= AND NEVER A SINGLE BATTERY IN ANY TUB EVER:-$
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:53 pm

A9 wrote:I'm sure there are plenty of gently used boats out there with no wear and tear....Have a mechanic inspect a used boat if you go that way....He'll look at it and the motor and let you know if there's something wrong...

A 115 would do that boat just fine. It would be a problem if they put anything like a 75hp on then you'd have reason for concern. A 115 should really get that 18' Hewes moving....
Aaron,

This won't be an absolute comparison because my 18 footer is fiberglass and would be heavier - but it has a 120 hp evinrude on it. So remember back to the trips we've taken on it for how fast it goes (plenty fast in my book!). I can tell you I've had 4 (2 kids, 2 adults) for tubing/skiing and the boat does fine. 115 should be fine for your future boat.

If you're set on going new at least you have this going for you - I'm guessing you'll be able to get some good discounts and maybe some freebies thrown in. Don't forget an anchoring system for the Columbia river. You'll want to go after those 11 foot sturgeon once you get that nice boat. Also, at 18 ft figure on the ability to do some overnights in it. Pretty fun!

Sounds like more reasons to travel to eastern Washington to go fishing. :bball:

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:06 pm

I went out to pickup my boat today. 1 day service! I took some pics of the boat I like:
Attachments
DSCF3248.JPG
DSCF3248.JPG (120.55 KiB) Viewed 6319 times
DSCF3246.JPG
DSCF3246.JPG (151.47 KiB) Viewed 6341 times
DSCF3243.JPG
DSCF3243.JPG (147.04 KiB) Viewed 6347 times
DSCF3240.JPG
DSCF3240.JPG (156.96 KiB) Viewed 6347 times
DSCF3239.JPG
DSCF3239.JPG (154.68 KiB) Viewed 6350 times
DSCF3238.JPG
DSCF3238.JPG (156.17 KiB) Viewed 6354 times
DSCF3237.JPG
DSCF3237.JPG (149.13 KiB) Viewed 6355 times
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:19 pm

if I was going to get a loan for that thing why not spend 8 grand more and get a 20 footer with a 150 on a extended transom 48" seats
fish on!

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:39 pm

Because then I wouldn't be comfortable with the payment, and I would have to get a new rig to pull it around.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System