Joe's Sport Files for Bankruptcy Protection

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Joe's Sport Files for Bankruptcy Protection

Post by A9 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:26 am

Correct

http://3riversmarine.com/

It's a few minutes off 405. Maybe 5. 405 to 522, second exit, and its a minute down the road off 522....Google Map it for directions...

Great products, good prices, great service, knowledgable staff....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:49 pm

great place i would go their first instead of joes
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:32 am

When I find myself fishing in the South end or just driving by, I'll hit up Sportco in Fife and/or Sportsman's warehouse in Federal Way. Between the two of them you'll find just about anything you need and at really good prices. Joe's was more of a convenience store for me as I couldn't count on them restocking regularly or having good prices. About the only thing you could count on them having is bait. I also stop in a browse Gart Sports and The Sports Authority stores for specials but they are only slightly better then Big 5 in selection

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:45 pm

I hope they don't close down too many Joe's stores. I know what I want and don't need to ask any questions. I've bought batteries, a Minn Kota, clothing from them in the last 4-6 months and have got great deals.
aka Powerworm

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:45 am

I was excited when they built a Joe's in Spokane, then I discovered that the prices were high, the service sucked, and they had very little of what we use on this side of the state. I suspect that if this is an example of their Market Research, then they should fail.

Just recently I heard they dropped the GI in protest to the War. I suppose that a company can do what they want, and for whatever reasons they desire, but we can choose to simply not shop there as well.

So, let me get this straight, they make a name change for a political reason, they have higher prices, they have bad service, and they stock the wrong type of items, and we wonder why they filed Chapter 11. I would not be surprised to see this upgraded to a Chapter 13 by the judge, if the judge knows how bad they really are.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:11 am

Anglinarcher wrote: Just recently I heard they dropped the GI in protest to the War. I suppose that a company can do what they want, and for whatever reasons they desire, but we can choose to simply not shop there as well.
I believe the new ownership changed the name for the reason that they "thought" that people thought it was a military surplus store and so some folks never shopped there cause they didn't know it was a sporting/outdoor goods store.

I don't think that management really has a clue either. Opening a store in Bellevue but then having to shut it down a year later?
It was supposed to be one of their busiest and most profitable stores....Didn't really turn out the way they wanted it to....
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:00 pm

What keeps me out of this store is that for awhile there, anytime I went in there I would get hounded by some lady who wanted me to take a survey. She couldn't get it through her head that I was willing to turn down an opportunity to win $25K.... people don't want to be pestered outside a store to sign petitions, or surveys or whatever.
One time I had a guy pull me out of line and take me to another register,, in sort of a weird way... then I asked an employee what was us with that? He said, that because I was buying shoes, they qualify for $ to the employee who rings it up, and that some guys will stock the register lines looking for shoe buyers.
Anyway, back to the thread, but if people just listened to their customer base about how they feel doing business with the company, perhaps some businesses would last longer.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:32 pm

Looks like Sportsman's Warehouse is cutting back on retail stores as well. Once that happens Cabelas and Sportco will be the only big games in town. I just hope that will kick start the resurgence of small tackle and bait shops. It would be nice to see them pop up next to major boat launches the way they were 30 years ago.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:21 pm

The Quadfather wrote: One time I had a guy pull me out of line and take me to another register,, in sort of a weird way... then I asked an employee what was us with that? He said, that because I was buying shoes, they qualify for $ to the employee who rings it up, and that some guys will stock the register lines looking for shoe buyers.
Hmmm...That's weird. Commission doesn't go to cashiers...

If you buy shoes from Joes, the employee who helped you with the shoe process is supposed to put a small sticker with a barcode on the box...When the cashier rings up the shoes, he/she also scans the barcode on the sticker, and the computer system knows to give commission to that employee...

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:26 pm

so now the sportsmenswerehouse is going down in burlington that sucks
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:25 pm

A9 wrote:
Anglinarcher wrote: Just recently I heard they dropped the GI in protest to the War. I suppose that a company can do what they want, and for whatever reasons they desire, but we can choose to simply not shop there as well.
I believe the new ownership changed the name for the reason that they "thought" that people thought it was a military surplus store and so some folks never shopped there cause they didn't know it was a sporting/outdoor goods store.

I don't think that management really has a clue either. Opening a store in Bellevue but then having to shut it down a year later?
It was supposed to be one of their busiest and most profitable stores....Didn't really turn out the way they wanted it to....
You are correct, they did change the name for marketing reasons. I took machinary to the Bellevue Joes when it was changing from a Larry's Market, same with Totem Lake and Renton Landing. I think that thier reasoning for moving the Bellevue location to Renton was for the simple fact that it would not be profitable for them to have 3 stores so close to each other. I don't think that it would bother someone living in Bellevue to have to drive the 7 mins. up 405 to Totem Lake or the 12 mins. to Renton. Was it a foolish move to put a store in Bellevue when they probably knew at the time that there was going to be a Renton location down the road? Yes. But it would have been even more foolish to leave the Bellevue location there when there are two so close.

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:49 pm

ChrisB wrote:I hope they don't close down too many Joe's stores.
Man I couldn't agree more...but this is going to really help the local stores that sell tackle like Ted's in Lynnwood and all the fly shops like Creekside in Issaquah and Patricks in Seattle. It's sad to see Joe's go because I bought a lot of good quality fly fishing gear there for good prices and with this economy it will surely be missed. Too bad they don't file for Ch.13 and then come out of it stronger...who knows.
Get with the Fast Money Bros

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:56 am

Freeport-McMoRan wrote:Good they deserve to go out of business. It's called lean thinking...their management sucks...The free market is controlled by the government and now we're suffering the consequences of the ridiculous government funding. Joe's needs to fail...that's the market...maybe we should bail out Joe's...FCX
The "free market" has always been controlled by the government. As soon as the government established the concept of monopoly-busting and anti-trust laws, the concept of "free market" became a misnomer.
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)