What is the point??

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
fishaholictaz
Admiral

RE:What is the point??

Post by fishaholictaz » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:08 pm

I will be truthful that is all I can do but I will put an answer to a Q if I know what I am talking about I try not to post where I am not informed or practiced. I posted my cutthroat combo I was catching fish with before Offut lakes derby and the winning fish was caught by a person who never signed up but read my past report. GOOD FOR HIM!!
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:10 pm

Hillbilly I was just replying in general not directing toward any 1 person just a concept. I am not taking anything personal just debating my side.

I preach fish for all:cheers:
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Photo bucket

T Dot
Commander

Post by T Dot » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:14 pm

fishaholictaz wrote:I preach fish for all:cheers:
i preach selective fish for some , and fish for all for things that should be common sense when it comes to fishing.

to each their own.
.: Half Man Half Amazing :.

WTB:
- SHIMANO Curado 201 HDSV
- SHIMANO Curado 301 DSV

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:24 pm

One other thing Hillbilly I am not saying tell every thing just don't post what you don't want to but put SOMETHING helpful in the thread and PM the juicy details
Photo bucket

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:32 pm

fishaholictaz wrote:Hillbilly I was just replying in general not directing toward any 1 person just a concept. I am not taking anything personal just debating my side.

I preach fish for all:cheers:
I actually agree with what you are saying, to a limited extent.

I have benefited from the wisdom of other anglers that I met here on WL. One way that I show my gratitude is by giving something back & helping others. But that doesn't necessarily mean I'm willing to share every single detail. A good angler doesn't want or need someone else to hold their hand. Most of the successful fishermen I've met will clam up (or lie) when someone asks for specific hot spots. However, they are usually willing to share general information like depth & type of structure.
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:52 pm

Good debate, I can honestly agree with both.

I try to give good information when its something I actually know but I admit that I'm less likely
to point out a "hotspot" in an open forum.Some of these "hotspots" were PM'ed by various members
and out of respect for them and their time...I won't put it out there.
As for my locations that I have found on my own time...well I typically share with anybody...
We're all here because we love to fish...I help a brutha out!:cheers:

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:59 pm

My take on the whole subject:

The internet is reaaaaaal powerful. Too powerful in my opinion. Our lives revolve around it now....

On some of the real popular forums, if someone goes and posts a report or something and some pictures of their good day at a certain place, there is often much more pressure there the following days. If someone goes and spouts off their honey hole or zipperlip spot on an internet forum, then it will undoubtedly be more crowded....It happens. That's why most of us don't uncover some of our spots and what not.

Remember, anyone who comes to this site can see what we type. While we have a few hundred members here, we have thousands who visit the site and see anything we type.

Forums are an awesome spot for joining together to talk location, strategy, or even just BS with other fisherman. We've all learned something and helped someone learn something through forums/BB's. That's why forums are here and thats why we like em. I love helping others out and pointing them in the right direction. We get to help others out and get helped out. I think thats how it should go. I'm not a big fan of lurkers who just sift through the forums day in and day out like a regular member and mooch off the information we provide and the tips and tactics we share. Jump on in and share some of your information.

Personally, I completely understand the reason for PM'ing one or certain members to reveal information or spots and what not. The only things I really withhold are locations. I'm 100% open on tactics and lures and presentations when I post or submit reports. It's just locations that I keep on the down low. And for good reason. Part of fishing is getting out there and figuring it out yourself and finding the spots through practice and time on the water...It wouldn't be very rewarding if we were told to "go here, cast this lure in that direction." Figuring out stuff on your own is highly rewarding, and enjoyable.

However, I'm "guilty" if you will of revealing information with just some members and not the entire forum..Why? Cause I'm comfortable giving information to "regulars" around here who are nice guys, pleasant dudes and who I can have some faith in that they will keep the information to themselves.... I don't mind giving spots out to the good guys and regulars whom I like. Or to people who've helped me out...I don't see it as playing favorites, but why should I respond to a PM from some random member who's never posted who's asking for my spot after I post a report or a particular forum post? I'm sorry, but it doesn't go like that in my opinion.

People come and go, and attitudes on the forum change as different folks become regulars...I also feel like members on here should post reports as well as be a forum member. Mike and Aaron value the reports on this greatly and I can see why. EX: The new historical data and hot spots information. If people submitted reports more frequently then we would have an abundance of data and things like historical data would be awesome to use (it already is, but the more archived info, the better) Reports should also be accurate and informative...Meaning while we all enjoy hearing about how many you caught, we'd also love to hear about what you used, where, etc (if you are willing to divulge that) Reports are pretty bland if they just talk about how many you caught and how awesome the fishing was that day...

All for now....
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

SmokinAces
Petty Officer

Post by SmokinAces » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:19 pm

A9 wrote:My take on the whole subject:

The internet is reaaaaaal powerful. Too powerful in my opinion. Our lives revolve around it now....

On some of the real popular forums, if someone goes and posts a report or something and some pictures of their good day at a certain place, there is often much more pressure there the following days. If someone goes and spouts off their honey hole or zipperlip spot on an internet forum, then it will undoubtedly be more crowded....It happens. That's why most of us don't uncover some of our spots and what not.

Remember, anyone who comes to this site can see what we type. While we have a few hundred members here, we have thousands who visit the site and see anything we type.

Forums are an awesome spot for joining together to talk location, strategy, or even just BS with other fisherman. We've all learned something and helped someone learn something through forums/BB's. That's why forums are here and thats why we like em. I love helping others out and pointing them in the right direction. We get to help others out and get helped out. I think thats how it should go. I'm not a big fan of lurkers who just sift through the forums day in and day out like a regular member and mooch off the information we provide and the tips and tactics we share. Jump on in and share some of your information.

Personally, I completely understand the reason for PM'ing one or certain members to reveal information or spots and what not. The only things I really withhold are locations. I'm 100% open on tactics and lures and presentations when I post or submit reports. It's just locations that I keep on the down low. And for good reason. Part of fishing is getting out there and figuring it out yourself and finding the spots through practice and time on the water...It wouldn't be very rewarding if we were told to "go here, cast this lure in that direction." Figuring out stuff on your own is highly rewarding, and enjoyable.

However, I'm "guilty" if you will of revealing information with just some members and not the entire forum..Why? Cause I'm comfortable giving information to "regulars" around here who are nice guys, pleasant dudes and who I can have some faith in that they will keep the information to myself. I don't mind giving spots out to the good guys and regulars whom I like. Or to people who've helped me out...I don't see it as playing favorites, but why should I respond to a PM from some random member who's never posted who's asking for my spot after I post a report or a particular forum post? I'm sorry, but it doesn't go like that in my opinion.

People come and go, and attitudes on the forum change as different folks become regulars...I also feel like members on here should post reports as well as be a forum member. Mike and Aaron value the reports on this greatly and I can see why. EX: The new historical data and hot spots information. If people submitted reports more frequently then we would have an abundance of data and things like historical data would be awesome to use (it already is, but the more archived info, the better) Reports should also be accurate and informative...Meaning while we all enjoy hearing about how many you caught, we'd also love to hear about what you used, where, etc (if you are willing to divulge that) Reports are pretty bland if they just talk about how many you caught and how awesome the fishing was that day...

All for now....

WOW, I couldn't have said it any better myself. SPOT ON A9
Pressin' Fish On!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:25 pm

fishaholictaz wrote:I have seen a lot of people pming their advise
Also, certain people respond different ways. You'll notice that some folks have killer replies and give out a lot of info, where as other don't really have a lot of substance....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:02 am

fishaholictaz wrote:No more of pm me or I will pm you and help you out.
This act of posting "PM Me or PM Sent" just cracks me up! Why not save key strokes and click on the members Profile and send a PM.

When a person types these little ditties, it reminds me of a couple of little kids saying "Come over here, I have a secret to tell you"

I can understand perfectly why someone in a very populated area, say Lake Washington, wouldn't want to post the location of a "Honey Hole". It would ruin my day if I got to that spot the following weekend and saw 75 boats in that area#-o

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:58 am

Marc Martyn wrote:
This act of posting "PM Me or PM Sent" just cracks me up! Why not save key strokes and click on the members Profile and send a PM.

When a person types these little ditties, it reminds me of a couple of little kids saying "Come over here, I have a secret to tell you"
Way to funny, I never thoughy of it like that. Ive done it my self in the clasified adds. No good answer why, give the post a bump maybe.

I agree with A9. Its not all black and white. Im not going to have the same discussions in a public forum that I might in a more private setting. Not everyone who reads this are anglers. Ive worked with people who openly talk about their fishing habits and exploits. Daily limits, slots, minimum sizes... they dont care and will take anything/everything they catch.