Good People

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Good People

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:40 pm

It pays to have people on your side no matter where you are. This is for the help.....

To the SHULALA.......Thank you very much. The 40hp Nordic Tug pulled us 4.5 miles to safety after BOTH motors went down. Probably had a great hand in saving two people and a canine. Always be prepared, but when terrible things happen, it's nice to have someone to help you out. As the Capt. said, "no worries, it all comes around".

I've never been towed, but I'm not to proud to say thanks when it's due. A salmon trip that could have been way worse, had not luck been on our side.

Hats off again to the crew of SHULALA, and when we make it back out there, we'll be bring as much salmon, halibut, and/or ling as possible for the grill...:cheers:

Great people.

P.s. the fishing was ok, and the 45* water surprisingly warm!!!:pale:

I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Good People

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:05 pm

Charles,

glad to hear that you made it home OK!!. That is always my fear in my little boat in the salt. It is good to hear of people on the water looking out for each other.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

big fish lite line
Commander

Post by big fish lite line » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:31 pm

both motors didn't work!

glad to here you got home safe. thats pretty nice of the people in the other boat. last summer we were leaving out of cornet bay when we noticed some people that looked like they had engine trouble below the bridge. we ended up giving them a tow back to cornet bay. that water is really cold I wouldn't have the guts to jump in brrrrr.
hurdle the dead and trample the weak

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:34 pm

That's awesome Rollin. Good to hear people are watching over each other.

I had an episode a few years ago, except I was the one pulling. My buddy and I were late on the water and we knew the smallies were biting. We drove to our favorite spot and we noticed a couple on a jet ski waving us down. We really had to think it over, we had a couple hours of light left and of course they're jet skiers. We thought about karma and decided to pull over and pull them back to their dock. The couple said they tried to wave down seven other boats. Unfortunately the escapade took more than we imagined and ended up catching nothing for the night, oh well, at least it was the right thing to do, I think?, they were jet skiers.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:43 pm

Good for that crew. I've "pushed" a rope a couple of times and was grateful to the crews that I pushed. I always look for folks having trouble with their boat as I've been in their shoes.
Life's short - fish hard!

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:20 am

I am glad you made it back safely.

In the back of my mind I always fear that my motor will fail while out in the Sound. I have 2001 Honda 75 hp 4 stroke and no kicker. I can't afford a kicker. So I never go out alone (I used to) and I always have a cell phone. I have several friends with boats who live fairly close to the areas I fish which is nice but I would hate to bother them because my motor failed. I specifically bought a Honda motor because of their "always start" reputation but I know it could fail just like any other motor. My Hewes is 16' 3” so I do have 2 oars on board in the event that I needed to paddle to shore. I hate the thought of that!

Several years ago, I had the opportunity to tow a 12' aluminum lake boat about 2 miles for a gal who had her 12 year old daughter on board. Her motor quit and she had drifted 2 miles from where she launched. She very much appreciated the help and I was glad to do it.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:57 am

Dave I don't care the size of your tub or lack of it.

If your in the Big Blue even in the summer months when all think it is safe trust me it is not.

Any Motor can and will fail and if you need a kicker I can get them at below costs just got another form member a Big Foot electric , 4 stroke power everything 9.9 Merc at a very large savings$$$$
I am a Yamaha guy all the way on kickers but the Big Foot is number 2 and he saved $700 real dollars by using me just like all the gals:colors: :cheers: do.

I am not saying any of this about anything but safety your kicker is the number one unit that will save your life if the main folds and things go south and they do trust me.
The 9.9 bigfoot also charges the supply not takes away from your electrical system and has its own alternator.

If I can help you with this I will 8hp and 9.9 bigfoots Great prices.
Safety is the key to a boat ride, crabbing, fishing or a day out loving mother nature a guy cannot afford not to have one its a investment in your family and loved ones:-$ :cheers:

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:13 pm

Thanks guys. I hope I can return the favor to someone someday.

Apparently I had fuel issues. Both tanks were virtually empty overnight (unknown to me), with the valves open. The only thing I can think of is as the air cooled overnight, the tanks pulled in moisture from the air (parked on the water). this water mixed with what little gas was left. Both motors ran about 5 min before dying. Filled the tanks, but to late.....#-o .....h20 in the carbs and cylinders!! Got the main to run in the driveway yesterday, no problem. Good thing I just bought a marine radio two weeks ago...!!:cheers:
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

stanford
Petty Officer

Post by stanford » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:55 pm

Yeah I will always carry a marine radio VHF on my boat it is good to have. Thats really good to hear you got yourself a nice tow ride back to the dock. I hate the thought of being stranded on a boat in the "Big Blue".
Kyles Outdoor Adventure Fishing Services check it out?

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:29 pm

I am glad you are able to share your knowledge. I am a new boat owner, and am overwhelmed with the compliance. There is so much to learn I admit I haven't taken her out yet. Will someone help me?:bounce: :bounce:
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One more......."

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:00 pm

Trust me, I hate not having a kicker. I just don't have 2 to 3K for one and I don't want one that's 20 years old for less money. So I stay close to home and have someone with me when I'm out. I try to maintain my Honda servicing it yearly so hopefully it will keep on running for me. I mentioned the size of my boat because it was relevant to trying to row to shore if needed. In other words, because it's only 16 feet, I would be able to use oars to get to shore as long as I'm not out in the ocean which I am not. I believe a larger boat might be tougher to row to shore in. no argument, a kicker is essential without question.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:57 pm

jens wrote:I am glad you are able to share your knowledge. I am a new boat owner, and am overwhelmed with the compliance. There is so much to learn I admit I haven't taken her out yet. Will someone help me?:bounce: :bounce:
If you're new, here's a good place to start.

Washington Boaters Safety

The next step would be a class with the Coast Guard Aux.

Good luck with the new boat!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:22 pm

Bodofish wrote:
jens wrote:I am glad you are able to share your knowledge. I am a new boat owner, and am overwhelmed with the compliance. There is so much to learn I admit I haven't taken her out yet. Will someone help me?:bounce: :bounce:
If you're new, here's a good place to start.

Washington Boaters Safety

The next step would be a class with the Coast Guard Aux.

Good luck with the new boat!
Sweet! :cheers: :cheers: thank you! I am ready to take'r out on the sound..
"One more......."