Wading Jacket

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
David Hall
Petty Officer

Wading Jacket

Post by David Hall » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:06 pm

I am currently in the market for a good wading jacket. I am checking out Cabela's, Sims, LLBean,Sage,Patagonia, etc,etc..
Reading the magazines,online testimonials and descriptions of the jackets are great. But first hand knoweledge from fellow flyfisherman, whom have used the product would be very helpful or add to my#-o confusion. In any case if any one would care to brag:cheers: about their wading jacket, it would be appreciated.:cheese:

Lotech Joe
Commodore

RE:Wading Jacket

Post by Lotech Joe » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:12 am

Hi Dave,
Long time, no see. I think that if you went with one of the big names you would be alright. Gortex is always good. Cabela's, I'm sure, has a few models of good quality. I'd be interested in what you choose. The one I have was made in Vietnam and it sweats on the inside real bad.
Later buddy,
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:55 am

David Hall wrote:I am currently in the market for a good wading jacket. I am checking out Cabela's, Sims, LLBean,Sage,Patagonia, etc,etc..
Reading the magazines,online testimonials and descriptions of the jackets are great. But first hand knoweledge from fellow flyfisherman, whom have used the product would be very helpful or add to my#-o confusion. In any case if any one would care to brag:cheers: about their wading jacket, it would be appreciated.:cheese:
Dave, way to many options, and way too open about your question. (LOL)

I find that if you are fishing in summer, a mesh body on a vest is valuable.

I find that no vest is big enough for all I want to carry, and the larger ones carry so much your back will hurt soon. So, go with enough pockets to meet your needs, but not your wants.

Brands, well I don't buy by brand names, and I won't buy site unseen. Drag Joe or Mark with you (they will go, I'm sure of it) and look at the ones at the local fly shops in Spokane, and at Sportsman's Warehouse and Cabela's.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

David Hall
Petty Officer

Post by David Hall » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:42 pm

Thank you - (Joe and Anglinarcher)

As of right now, I am leaning toward Cablela's - Guidewear Wading Jacket, Gortex. I dress well and am usually well prepred for any type of weather. So to be more specific; a shell, water proof, storm flap. This model has nine pockets. I was just interested in comments from fellow flyfishing anglers, about what they have, how they like their jacket, what would they like less or more of, etc. Plus I really do not want to go overboard on the price, yet want something of quality that will last. I too am not a big name fan, so I was hoping that maybe people whom have jackets might have names I have heard or have not heard of. Any way - thanks to everyone for thinking about this topic, but more importantly thinking about flyfishing - what a great sport.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:14 pm

Never heard many complaints about Simms besides their price.

I've also heard good stuff about Redington and Cabelas wading jackets...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:12 pm

Dave, before the season starts, let's get together and go looking. I have a nylon one that is o.k., but it does get clammy. It's good for a short rain storm, but not for wearing all day. I mainly use it for a wind breaker. This spring I want to get a new one, so we will look together. REI has some good jackets also. We'll check them out. Call me. I'm starting to get cabin fever........:shaking2:

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:46 pm

I just got one from the big C. I didn't want to take the chance on a mail order so I took the drive. Looked at everything they had and had a $400 Simms under my arm, very nice jacket but I wasn't looking forward to the checkout. On the way there I found a big C "Roughneck" work rain jacket made from their breathable cloth. Just a straight up shorty rain jacket. Cord at the bottom to seal it up, articulated sleeves, very nice hood, all seems taped and water tight zipper. It didn't have the "fly fishing pockets" but for $80 I bought a new back / chest pack along with it. Over all the jacket is a much higher quality construction and very sturdy. With the Simms I was getting the feeling I might tear it on something. Don't get stuck on a "wading jacket", you just might find something you like better that doesn't carry a "corner office" price tag.
I may pick up the matching bibs, they were pretty darn nice too but, I normally wear my waders when it's that wet out.

the color is a little misleading, It's not blue at all, grey. The color Graphite is right.

Cabelas Jacket

PS I don't buy from REI anymore because they discriminate against handicaped people. They believe if you can't walk in the woods you don't belong there. My dad has a four digit member ID and I had a six digit one. No more!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:43 pm

Being that I need a jacket in a 2X tall size my choices get a bit limited. I normally don't buy fishing/hunting stuff from Cabelas as I'm not thrilled by their pricing. That said there is no one better at having clothing for the big guys. Not all of us are 5'-9", 150 lbs and wear size medium. All of my casual & outdoor clothing for the past few years has came from Cabelas. For the boat I'm usually in their Guidewear rain gear. Of course if im going to be fishing several consecutive rainy days Goretex I find that it will leak regardless of brand. For those trips its good old Grundens rubber tuxedos. For wader fishing I use a jacket like you have. Straight forward and simple. Rather than a vest I usually use a sling pack from Orvis or Wm Joseph. I find that I carry way too much unneeded stuff around in a vest and end up with neck/back aches.
Life's short - fish hard!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:33 am

The new pack I got is a Wm Joseph. I'm really liking it! I'm suprised you ever get wet through your Guidewear. My waders are made from the same material "Dry Plus" and I can sit in the tube or up to my rear in the river all day and I've never even been damp inside. They far surpass the neoprene waders they replaced. I've owned many Gortex coats and everyone has had a leaking point. Just my personal observations. Cabela's is one of the few places I can find cloths that fit too.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”