Feb 1, Area 7 Blackies.....

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Feb 1, Area 7 Blackies.....

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:31 am

Getting close for us area 7 blackmouth anglers. :bounce: Starting to get the boat "unwinterized" this weekend, she hasn't been in the salt since Oct 30th, so it's about time.

Anybody gonna hit 7 for the winter opener (a sunday)? works great for me, my weekend is sun-tues......three days straight of salmon fishing is in store!!! :cheers:

Any favorite spots? presentations? I'm still pretty green, so I usually go with the standard:
White or Purple Haze (yeah jimmi) e chip, 36-42" leader, blue/white hooch (personal preference), and good old salmon feast SJ. I have only LANDED blackmouth in two places in 7.......Lopez and Thatcher Pass. Had a couple nice one's on other places (small structure right in Rosario Strait), but I'm zipperlip on those....:-#
Usually just try to hit the slack, 1 hour before/after, 1.5 to 3.0 mph (with current).

More than likely I will be launching outta WA park, and trolling those nice flats around Lopez. We'll see how that produces, then from there I only go in one direction.....North. Just want to hear if anyone else is gearing up for the winter blackmouth opener up north....YEAH BABY...SALMON ON!! Let's all "macro meditate" for calm winds and good weather....[-o< ......[-o< ........[-o<

Nice keeper out of Thatcher this past july......

=p~ Any advice/tips/comments??
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

saltyseadog
Commander

RE:Feb 1, Area 7 Blackies.....

Post by saltyseadog » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:47 pm

yeah im for sure goin try cornet bay launch soooo much better were goin eagle bluff, then up to point larwence northeast corner of orcas green glow squid uv flasher e chip and uv smelly jelly
fish on!

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:14 pm

alright saltyseadog!! I know there are more around here, but glad to hear at least ONE more of us is getting out in 7. Yeah, I have a smaller boat, (16') so WA Park works great. Any couple few miles I can cut off the boat ride with a 35hp does me great...:cheers: !! I agree though, cornet is much nicer.

Lawrence point is a personal favorite as well, but have only landed dogfish there in the summer. No luck in the winter. Seen some nice fish caught outta there though......

Best of luck ssd, and if you see a 16' alum getting it's butt kicked it will probably be me....:-& :pale:
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

big fish lite line
Commander

Post by big fish lite line » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:36 pm

I'm probably going this weekend. I need to put on my downriggers though. I plan going to tide point or thatcher pass. I've never caught a salmon in the salt so i'm pretty new at this.

I'll probably use hoochies and a flasher and i was wondering if you guys rig those with 1 or 2 hooks?

also I've heard you need to use 30-60lb leader to give the hoochie action???? is this true what do you guys use?

thanks
hurdle the dead and trample the weak

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:53 pm

If you can get out tomorrow LITE LINE I would. SKIP SCHOOL! ok, don't skip school, but the water will be FLAT tomorrow. I just got back....superb conditions. tomorrow will be the same, great for us small vessels. I could head in any direction WOT with the 16'er. No luck myself, but heard/saw the bite is pretty solid. the guy ahead of me at the launch had two nice keepers. Something like every other boat with fish....:-"

big fish lite line
Commander

Post by big fish lite line » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:00 pm

yah I wish I could go tomorrow. I love those days when the water is like glass.
hurdle the dead and trample the weak

trout assault sean
Petty Officer

Post by trout assault sean » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:24 am

jess, dont be a bad kid!! dont go skippin school!! lmao!!! just kiddin. be like me, and go talk to our old counselor, Strain and be like.. AY, lemme get early release!!!!! cause i fish EVERYDAY!!!!!!
SENIOR THIS YEAR AT GRANITE FALLS HIGH SCHOOL
Almost have my drivers lisence.
I would rather be fishin' than sittin' in school wishin i was fishin'.
<')}}}}><

bubba800
Petty Officer

Post by bubba800 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:42 pm

meh wish i culd fish everyday SKIP SCHOOL!! :P
See you out there =]

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:27 pm

big fish lite line wrote:I'm probably going this weekend. I need to put on my downriggers though. I plan going to tide point or thatcher pass. I've never caught a salmon in the salt so i'm pretty new at this.

I'll probably use hoochies and a flasher and i was wondering if you guys rig those with 1 or 2 hooks?

also I've heard you need to use 30-60lb leader to give the hoochie action???? is this true what do you guys use?

thanks
2 hooks for them. Also don't forget spoons...Coho Killers, Kingfisher, Coyote, etc. A few plugs in the tackle box is always a good thing when targeting blackmouth.

Yes on the heavy leader. 30-50 lb, and make sure you leader isn't too long. Somewhere between 24-36 inches is pretty good.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

trout assault sean
Petty Officer

Post by trout assault sean » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:09 am

actually, i dont like the coyote spoons too much. they just just dont sem to work for me. i dont know why. i like coho killers though
<')}}}}><

trout assault sean
Petty Officer

Post by trout assault sean » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:43 am

haha yah. well i am way ahead in credits in Granite Falls.
<')}}}}><

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:45 pm

ANY coyote spoon size (3.5) the Best = 42 inches of leader not one inch shorter and longer (42INCHES) on Coyote spoons:cheers: :chef:
25lbs of Floracrabon on leader 30lb max! is perfect as well:compress:
Purple haze or Green speckle back on Flashers E-chippers only and the other side of the e-chip side Pro Cure UV Glow and scent ot light Paste Blue Herring smelly jelly to finish with another 10 or more things as well For Blackies.
Of late been pushing Jacked up custom/Blue Glow = Squid with extra glow beads and skirts and colored Gama's only!
Attachments
a25.jpg
a25.jpg (51.17 KiB) Viewed 1909 times
a19.jpg
a19.jpg (80.93 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stanford
Petty Officer

Post by stanford » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:03 pm

Oh yeah!

This upcoming season will be hot! I'm looking forward to fishing up north to, right now I'm sticking to the central sound, but come mid Feb. we will try to head up north hopefully do good by our favorite Rosario structure...:-$

Summer will be awesome up there to!:geek: Can't wait to fillet some fattys!
Kyles Outdoor Adventure Fishing Services check it out?

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:13 pm

Yeah stanford...I hope you do well. A7 seems like it will be another decent year. So far the numbers are GOOD. I have seen and read this. That Roche harbor derby sounds like it's just off record #'s of fish for the first day......:-$ Did anyone here how today went? did 18 get broke??