How many rods from shore?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
smoked1
Petty Officer

How many rods from shore?

Post by smoked1 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:34 pm

How many rods can I have in the water before I am breaking the law? Where can I go to read the rules. By the way; I am asking about lake steven. Any other advice that you may have for a fresh newb would also be welcome. I hooked quite a few last week but I need to find an easier way to get them home for cleaning.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:How many rods from shore?

Post by A9 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:45 am

[quote="smoked1"]How many rods can I have in the water before I am breaking the law? Where can I go to read the rules. By the way]

Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Big D

Post by Big D » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:30 am

Hey smoked 1,
One and only one rod. Check the regs to find out how many and what style of hooks you can use.

You can access the regs at this web site: http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/

Good luck out there.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:21 am

One, would be what the regs say but in reality the number of lines in the water is loosely tied to the number of children playing in the general vicinity. It has become very apparent over the years that being in control of ones fishing gear means that someone (in most cases a parent) is fishing the said equipment. This is but one of the ways the state controls those pesky planted trout in the lowland lakes in EW. Once the trout have been removed, the stage is set for amateur stocking of various warm water species. Now to illustrate the point and gain valuable perspective on where the trout go; first you take "Dad", then his five to seven kids (Probably hasn't figured out what causes this yet. He has made a loose corollary between the kids and that six pack a few months ago but still has yet to put two and two together.), add in the kids friends, we'll say three. Now, that's up to eleven sets of gear in the water at any one time. Multiply that times the number of lakes fished in a day, lets say three. Jam through the math and wow! We come up with a rather large number. Up to one hundred sixty five fish kept per day. Dad plus kids and friends equals 11. Number of lakes per day, 3. Daily bag limit for lowland lakes, 5 trout. (11*3)5=165.
WOW your license fees do pay for a lot more than you first expected.........

Off Soapbox.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Big D

Post by Big D » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:32 am

Hey Bodofish,
You crack me up.
So, how many kids do you have?
I have a neighbor that has 10. He offered to rent them out by the hour, day, week or month. He didn't want to rent them out for more than a month at a time because he was worried about loosing deductions on his income tax.#-o
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:34 am

Great point Mr Bodo:cheers:
Just another example where the actions of a few (well maybe not so few) affect the whole.
I totally believe in taking the young ones out to learn the act/art of fishing,but Teaching to abide by the rules is just one of the responsibilities of the teacher though. :-"
:thumleft: HATS off to all you folks who take a kid fishing.:thumright

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:12 am

[quote="smoked1"]How many rods can I have in the water before I am breaking the law? Where can I go to read the rules. By the way]

What does the ammount of rods have to do with your last sentence "I need to find an easier way to get them home for cleaning".How many are you trying to take home? There are limits to the ammount that you can take out in 1 day.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:53 am

Big D wrote:Hey Bodofish,
You crack me up.
I have a neighbor that has 10. He offered to rent them out by the hour, day, week or month. He didn't want to rent them out for more than a month at a time because he was worried about loosing deductions on his income tax.#-o
I raised my two and a step child. If you haven't noticed I'm a pretty big advocate of Zero Population Growth. I'm not sure if it's the chicken or the egg syndrome but many of the folks that have the most kids are the ones that can least afford to keep that many. So is it not having the means and then having a bunch or is it not having the means because you have a bunch. I realize this issue cuts across many delicate areas but even in my short life i've seen the damage over population causes and turning a blind eye to it is nothing short of criminal. So I guess I don't care what any of the wholesale breeders have to say about it. =)
I guess you'd better be getting a bunch of little life jackets, gold fish crackers and juice boxes. Rent a few for the day and up your limit! Don't say I didn't warn ya!!!!!! ](*,)
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Jordan
Lieutenant

Post by Jordan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:15 pm

One line in the water per person... all the rules are in the regulations pamphlet
Ozzie

"Do what you like. Like what you do."

<><

Ditch Pickler
Lieutenant

Post by Ditch Pickler » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:23 pm

At green lake i had a 2 poles out on the water at one time. ! had powerbait and the other rod i was casting a rooster tail. GW came up and just asked for my license. Every lake has different rules. But at the same time i havent fished from shore in 4 yrs....
My only enemy is my inner me -Lupe Fiasco

You can take the angler out the Hood,but you can't take the Hood out the angler! -basstradamus

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:54 pm

Basstradamus wrote:
smoked1 wrote:How many rods can I have in the water before I am breaking the law? Where can I go to read the rules. By the way]

At green lake i had a 2 poles out on the water at one time. ! had powerbait and the other rod i was casting a rooster tail. GW came up and just asked for my license. Every lake has different rules. But at the same time i havent fished from shore in 4 yrs....

Every lake can have different rules that is for sure,, but someone call me out if they know of any lake that allows more than one rod per angler. That is something that you don't see change from lake to lake, there are some states that allow 2 rods fished in some situations,, (maybe it was trolling in Idaho) but the thing to take from the whole thread is that you just can't dream of going fishing without a copy of the regs in with your gear.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:01 pm

Washington State Freshwater Rules:

Hook and line angling only. Barbed or barbless
hooks may be used, and a hook may be
single-point, double, or treble, but not more
than one line
with up to three hooks per angler
may be used.

Washington State Saltwater Rules:

HOOK AND LINE ANGLING - Unless noted
differently, only one line with up to 2 hooks is
allowed.

In this state you can't legally fish with more than one line per person. This is a big change for those who came from states that allowed 2 or more rods per person. Heck, in Wisconsin you can have 3 rods out!

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:07 pm

Bodofish wrote:
You crack me up.
I raised my two and a step child. If you haven't noticed I'm a pretty big advocate of Zero Population Growth. I'm not sure if it's the chicken or the egg syndrome but many of the folks that have the most kids are the ones that can least afford to keep that many. So is it not having the means and then having a bunch or is it not having the means because you have a bunch. I realize this issue cuts across many delicate areas but even in my short life i've seen the damage over population causes and turning a blind eye to it is nothing short of criminal. So I guess I don't care what any of the wholesale breeders have to say about it. =)
I guess you'd better be getting a bunch of little life jackets, gold fish crackers and juice boxes. Rent a few for the day and up your limit! Don't say I didn't warn ya!!!!!! ](*,)
Bodofish, I have to admit, you are a hoot.:-"

I do wish you would take this to some other forum though. I understand where you are coming from, but to be honest with you, I think you are off in left field.:-#

Nevertheless, I support your right to say it, I just wish you would rant about it when I am not trying to read about fishing.:bball:
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:53 pm

Anglinarcher wrote:
Bodofish wrote:
You crack me up.
Bodofish, I have to admit, you are a hoot.:-"

I do wish you would take this to some other forum though. I understand where you are coming from, but to be honest with you, I think you are off in left field.:-#

Nevertheless, I support your right to say it, I just wish you would rant about it when I am not trying to read about fishing.:bball:
Read a little more carefully. It's all about the fishing!!!!!!! o:) o:) o:) o:) o:)

sharpshooter223
Warrant Officer

Post by sharpshooter223 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:31 pm

If you are fishing for anything that requires some decent presentation, as in varied retrieves that kids may not understand, i think a variation of bodo's suggestion works good. instead of taking a kid fishing in the instance of say a bass that is pressured and only bite at a very well presented lure, bring your friend along who refuses to eat fish, that way you not only get your limit, but you get theirs also.

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:59 pm

Wow you eather had a dumb Gamewarden or a dang nice one who was only counting weights err hooks and making sure you had a license to fish for rowers.... err fish.

Everytime I think of doing something like that the thought is instantly erased from my mime as the warden shows up with gun in one hand and a beer in the other. Saying "Show me your license. If you got one I'll give you this beer and cite you for having an open container of alchol on public land. And if you don't you get shot on the spot." OK put the hunting knife away Mr. Warden I'm just being a pain in the ...

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:57 pm

if you are at lake boren, it seems like many folks believe you're allowed two rods or more

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:10 pm

Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:if you are at lake boren, it seems like many folks believe you're allowed two rods or more
game warden has been there alot recently.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Anyfish
Petty Officer

Post by Anyfish » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:31 pm

I think that game warden has the hots for someone! Never in my entire life on any body of water in any state or country, nor have any signs ever been posted simply stating you may fish with as many poles as you wish or have i ever read in any regs that you may: fish with more then one pole. I think we must assume that only one pole :cyclops: is ever allowed. Unless you and your seven children are out to fill the freezer, then of course that would be 8 poles, but only one per each. hee haw
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
84 Bass Tracker 17' V
72 EV Lark 50

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:35 pm

as many as you want, but be ready to end up like the guy who lost everything he used when he caught way over his limit( boat, poles, fined etc,) just because he decided that the rules were not ""WRITTEN"" for him. i don't know of any state that does not have ""WRITTEN"" laws for the public to ""READ"". it does not have to be warden that gets you, it may be that someone fishing next to you. but that is part of what this site is all about. to help answer questions from and by the many people here on this site.