? For The Bass Gurus?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

? For The Bass Gurus?

Post by racfish » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:37 am

Is there any Bassin being done bouts now.Lake Wa.looks so gorgeous on these cold snowy days.If one was to try ,Any suggestions on what to use? Thanks guys.Happy Holidays to all.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

RE:? For The Bass Gurus?

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:55 am

I am from the wrong side of the state to help you much, but if I recall, Lk Washington is mostly a small mouth bass lake. If so, your best bet is to wait until spring.

I have caught a lot of LMBs during the winter, but SMBs are something that I just don't think I have ever heard of being caught during the "winter" months predictably.

Sorry
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:06 pm

RACFISH ,

Good to hear from ya again bud .. If your geting out on WA-WA soon i have a few suggestions .. I had stay to look in water depts of 45-60 ft ..Finding humps, rocks piles , or wood will hold smallies for sure .. You will need some good electronics aswell to pin point these areas . Once you locate a small school of 6-8 fish holding toghether continue to look around that same are for one or two fish holding by themselves .. Experience has showed me that getting a bite out of the bigger school are tuff , however thos same fish will move a short distance to feed .. By finding those one or two fish not far away from the school is usally there feeding area .. As for rigs , Dropshoting with smaller profile plastics , carolina rigs , and football heads seem be the go to rigs for this time of the year .. I also understand that a rig refered to as "rev-rigging" is also another winter rig that will produce (I Haven't tried this yet) ... Remember to were your vest at all times and bring a fizzing needle ...Hopefuly this can give you a start and this advise come from a Rookie !!! FISH ON ..

BBD

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:42 pm

Well put Dezzy,..you are the Mizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnn!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:33 pm

Thanks Dez.And I thought I put my boat away for the year.I got some nice spots I think will produce nicely.I like the East Channel area off Mercer Isle.I do work over there at a retirement community. Thats where Im gonna go.They got moorage and a dock in a deep water area.In 10 years y'all invited to my place after fishing.Hehehe.Back on subject.So bank angling for bass might be rough? I fish that montlake canal area. It too has a very deep channel.I was hoping for shore fishing but I can adapt to a boat.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:58 pm

racfish wrote:Thanks Dez.And I thought I put my boat away for the year.I got some nice spots I think will produce nicely.I like the East Channel area off Mercer Isle.I do work over there at a retirement community. Thats where Im gonna go.They got moorage and a dock in a deep water area.In 10 years y'all invited to my place after fishing.Hehehe.Back on subject.So bank angling for bass might be rough? I fish that montlake canal area. It too has a very deep channel.I was hoping for shore fishing but I can adapt to a boat.
I would say yes. Even when I try to find the deepest spots possible, I have not yet been able to find any fish.

You hitting the Green any time? I apologize for the digression. If I can make it, I'm going to try to hit the Nisqually tomorrow. Let me know if you want to come.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:32 am

I hate to sound so unadventurous but the Green is a totally flat drive for me from Seward Park.I can drive to Flaming Geyser w/o hitting any major hill.Sure fishing is bad but every year I manage some nice steelies out of her.If the tides are in my favor I will try Allentown also.I like fishing the outgoing using Spin-Glos w/ eggs or shrimp.The nisqually sounds sweet.I will take you up on your offer once some of this $@#&* snow melts off.
I will never complain about a hot day in the summer again.The Green isnt really a digression its just convienient.A nice fire with a thermos a bell and a bizolay just do me fine.Hehehe..

MERRY CHRISTMAS,HAPPY HANUKKAH,HAPPY KWANZA,HAPPY RAMADAN TO ALL.WHATEVER YOU BELIEVE IN IS COOL.

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:18 pm

Yeah, I'd like to meet up to go fishing, Green or Nisqually. I'm going somewhere for sure tomorrow. Come on KevinB!!!! You too! I got a spare set up for you.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:21 pm

This time of year a quality stitch fisherman can get winter bass to bite. Good time to work on your stitching technique fellas.
racfish, there is bassin to be done in the winter months. Bass don't shut down completely, they still have to eat. The key is finding those areas they feed in and waiting on the bite to come to you. Find a productive area and fish it hard. Winter fish will move in and out of a feeding spot all day. And it shouldn't be to far from where they are holding.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:47 am

islandbass wrote:Yeah, I'd like to meet up to go fishing, Green or Nisqually. I'm going somewhere for sure tomorrow. Come on KevinB!!!! You too! I got a spare set up for you.
I'm game to fish any species! Let me know when your next trip is,my schedule is up and down and I've been punching in some overtime. But would love to hit the rivers more.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:12 am

I went out Christmas morning on my walk around the Seward Park Penninsula.I took some plugs and some rubber baits thinking the bass would love a Salamander or a mouse looking critter.I didnt get a single bite or nibble,but I had the greatest time in anticipation of the big strike.Each cast I presented the bait the way I'd think the critter would act.I casted the baits on the existing rafts and slowly dropped it in the water.Like I said Nada.It didnt stop a great day fishing.I thouroghly enjoyed it.Just thinking of a catch made it a blast.Next time I'll do it with my boat.Not having the electronics in finding a school did'nt help but next time.......Muahaha..Bass Watch Out!!!

Nolliver
Angler

Post by Nolliver » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:18 pm

Heading out in the morning and Seward might be a target area. Lots of steep banks on the East side. Missed a lot of bites in November along that stretch from the boat. If not Seward, probably some docks that offer access to deep water and some structure like pilings or rip-rap.
Good Luck!!

3riversbasser
Petty Officer

Post by 3riversbasser » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:40 am

Dez,
I've never caught fish consistently out in the 50-60' range on wawa. It seems like they stay a little shallower there than samm. My guess would be 35-40' is as deep as I'll go in the winter. Thats just from my experience. Have you had better success out there deeper?

Now Samm is a whole different story. I've caught numerous fish in the 50-55' range there on all the usual wintertime riggings.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:59 am

It was a bit windy to boat Wa this weekend so I went to the Duwamish instead.Sat the river looked great except for no fish.Sunday the river was starting to get muddier .Still no fish.I havent seen much fish action anywhere locally.Sat I went up on the Snoqualmie in the latter part and didnt see any action either. I was suprised to see so few fisherpeople on the Snoqualmie.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:54 am

3riversbasser wrote:Dez,
I've never caught fish consistently out in the 50-60' range on wawa. It seems like they stay a little shallower there than samm. My guess would be 35-40' is as deep as I'll go in the winter. Thats just from my experience. Have you had better success out there deeper?

Now Samm is a whole different story. I've caught numerous fish in the 50-55' range there on all the usual wintertime riggings.
Hey J ,

Dude i was catching smallies from 42ft almost a month ago .. The deepest i have hooked one this winter so far has been in 51ft , that was the last time i went out about three weeks ago .. I have not spent much time on lk samm in the winter so im not sure how deep they move out ther this time of the year .. Put it this way , next time i get out on WA WA i dont plan on fishing in less than 50ft .. Guys in my club has told me that they have got smallies from as deep as 65ft in the winter .. Keep in mind also J, That location and structure plays a hugh role with these deep fish .. Thats bout all i can say with out giving up my spots ..lol :-#

BBD

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:54 pm

The first time I ever fished from a boat for bass was on MLK day last January. Besides freezing off my phanny that day (45+ MPH even with wind proof gear), we fished for 5.5 hours at various depths. In the last 20 minutes, the boat owner decided to try 55 ft and that was where they were. I hooked into one shortly afterward but my hands were so frozen that I couldn't seal the deal.

I suppose the lesson I learned was that if they're not at 45' or lower, don't be afraid to go deeper.

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:18 pm

Anglinarcher wrote:I am from the wrong side of the state to help you much, but if I recall, Lk Washington is mostly a small mouth bass lake. If so, your best bet is to wait until spring.

I have caught a lot of LMBs during the winter, but SMBs are something that I just don't think I have ever heard of being caught during the "winter" months predictably.

Sorry
I thought smallies tolerate cold temps better than LMB. :-k
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:30 pm

they do, and are caught quite "predictably" by people who know what they are doing every winter. ;)

3riversbasser
Petty Officer

Post by 3riversbasser » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:55 pm

Dez,
Thats cool man. Just wondering, it goes to show how two different patterns can produce fish in different depths. A month ago I was fishin in less than 30' range so theres a prime example. I agree that the structure has a big roll on how deep these fish are, as does the primary forage they are keying in on during the winter months. I'll be out a few times in the next few days, so we'll see from there.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:03 am

3riversbasser wrote:Dez,
Thats cool man. Just wondering, it goes to show how two different patterns can produce fish in different depths. A month ago I was fishin in less than 30' range so theres a prime example. I agree that the structure has a big roll on how deep these fish are, as does the primary forage they are keying in on during the winter months. I'll be out a few times in the next few days, so we'll see from there.

J,

Went out yesterday for two hours , very windy & cold .. Found fish in 35ft on wood , marked larger schools in 55 ft but they didnt seem to be in the eating mood .. I decided to leave the lake after i got a bite and i was too slow on the hook set (hands were froze) missed the fish..lol

I can atleast say that i started the year fishin , but nothing to show for it besideS chapped lips and hands .. :shaking:

BBD
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member