musky fishing?

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fishingboy
Commander

musky fishing?

Post by fishingboy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:30 pm

does anyone know where to catch muskys? besides lake tapps? and what is the best bait for them in green lake?
Largemouth:

PB: 6 pounds

2011: 6 Pounds

Smallmouth:

PB: 5 pounds

2011: 4 lbs

Kokonuts
Warrant Officer

RE:musky fishing?

Post by Kokonuts » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:31 pm

They do have Muskie in Lake Merwin, I had one follow up a Trout Lure last week while I was fishing from the Bank!!
I dont know if anyone is fishing for them know but they did hold a Tourment there last Aug.
Where ever I go........There I am!

mtsiview
Petty Officer

Post by mtsiview » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:09 pm

fishingboy wrote:does anyone know where to catch muskys? besides lake tapps? and what is the best bait for them in green lake?
The lakes in Washington state that have muskies in them are, Merwin, Mayfield, Tapps, Evergreen Resivoir, Curlew, Newman and Silver lake in Spokane County. If there are any left in Green Lake, they would most likely be monsters because it has not been stocked for years. This, and given the fact that while they were in there, there was a 36" minimum length rule and many were kept by the fishermen that caught them. Large Bucktail spinners, spinnerbaits and crankbaits are the baits of choice. They will be most active from about May through October, but can be caught any time of the year. The secret to catching them is to spend thousands of hours wetting your line in your favorite lake, and when you least expect it, one will bite and you will be hooked forever!
I worry about belonging to a club that accepts people like me as members!

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:55 pm

Fazon was stocked many years ago,if any are their....they'll be big.Might be worth a trip,worse case is you catch big bass.
So totally worth a look. Best methods as of now would be trolling and jigging. The muskies have headed for deeper water.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:52 pm

Try deep diving cranks and fuzzy duzzits http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/p ... zzyDuzzit7

Kenster
Lieutenant

Post by Kenster » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:41 pm

kevinb wrote:Try deep diving cranks and fuzzy duzzits http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/p ... zzyDuzzit7
Great looking and sounding lure there Kevin. If I was to recommend a lure to use at this time of the year I'd say anything you already have in your box that rattles, vibrates and dives or flashes. Then save your money for the Spring bite and order yourself a nice Willey's C1 and keep a fresh trailer on it at all times.

Kenster
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:33 pm

$14.49 a lure may be pricey to some but most muskie lures are in the same range or more.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RB
Warrant Officer

Post by RB » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:58 pm

muskie scare me. Maybe oneday I'll head out there and try for some. thanks for th elil list of lakes that hold em tho for future reference

mtsiview
Petty Officer

Post by mtsiview » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:07 pm

Kenster wrote:
kevinb wrote:Try deep diving cranks and fuzzy duzzits http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/p ... zzyDuzzit7
Great looking and sounding lure there Kevin. Has that lure produced for you? What was your magic color? Is that what you got your 35incher at Tapps on? That's a pretty spendy lure to be recommending unless you have had success. I can send you a link to some pretty nice looking and sounding lures too, but I'd only recommmend the ones that I have had success with. At any rate if I was to recommend a lure to use at this time of the year I'd say anything you already have in your box that rattles, vibrates and dives or flashes. Then save your money for the Spring bite and order yourself a nice Willey's C1 and keep a fresh trailer on it at all times.

Kenster
Good Point Kenster. Fishingboy, I might add that if you are going to fish these critters with the expensive tackle, one of your first purchases should be a lure retreiver. As musky fishermen, we are constantly fishing around docks and other structure. Needless to say, we get hooked up quite often. Many times it will come loose with a good tug or a little push of the ole' rod tip, but quite often, you have to go after it with more sophisticated equipment. I have had great success with the Bill Dance model that is sold by Bass Pro Shops for about $14.00. It has a small plastic reel that winds up the cord so that it stays organized for your next use. In the summer that I have had it, I have probably saved over $200 on lures that would have otherwise been lost.

Secondly, consider using a braided line of at least 50 lbs., and steel or flourocarbon leaders of 80-150 lb. test. I know this sounds like you would be fishing with a rope, but believe me, the fish don't care and you will save a bundle on lost gear!

Lastly, do not buy cheap equipment, line, swivels, net etc. because THEY WILL FAIL! The last thing you want is to see your trophy of a lifetime swimming away with your $30 lure still hanging in his upper lip!!

Happy hunting!
I worry about belonging to a club that accepts people like me as members!

fishingboy
Commander

Post by fishingboy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:20 pm

what were the list of lakes. I need them!
Largemouth:

Smallmouth:

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:50 pm

fishingboy wrote:what were the list of lakes. I need them!
ummm,..here you go
http://www.nwtigermuskies.com/lakes.html

Please and Thank you :clown:

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:53 pm

Hey Pat,
If you can hold out till the early part of March or there abouts I will gladly take you out on a guided tour. Hit me up in few months, check out Ebay or the other Musky websites for gear. Start now and by the start of spring you'll be set. Later, Todd
Todd Reis
Prostaff Auburn Sports & Marine
Musky Team
www.auburnsportsmarineinc.com
Fish Country Sporting Goods

muskyhunter28
Petty Officer

Post by muskyhunter28 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:40 pm

Hey fishingboy, The guys on this website are kind of mean.
They keep telling people that there are Musky in Merwin, Lies!
~ Captain Don Hempler Tour Guides ~

Don Wittenberger
Commander

Post by Don Wittenberger » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:06 pm

There used to be, but Merwin has gotten tougher. If the WDFW guys go fishing with you, make sure they get skunked so they'll increase the stocking.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishingboy
Commander

Post by fishingboy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:26 pm

so im gusseing their is not any muskies in green lake?
Largemouth:

Smallmouth:

Don Wittenberger
Commander

Post by Don Wittenberger » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:26 pm

Green Lake received a one-time plant of 150 tiger muskie fingerlings in 2000. As we are now past the maximum lifespan of these fish, the odds of there still being any tiger muskies in Green Lake are nil, and at most there'd be only 1 or 2 fish, in which case good luck finding them in all those weeds.

Fazon Lake, a 32-acre pond near Bellingham, received a one-time plant of a couple dozen fingerlings in 2000. WDFW has planted tiger muskies in several small ponds throughout the state. This is done for rough fish control, not to create a sport fishery for tiger muskies. These small ponds are incapable of supporting a tiger muskie population on a sustained basis, and they usually survive there for only a couple years. Even if there was an adequate food supply for them, fishing pressure would quickly wipe them out, because you have only a few fish to begin with.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:44 pm

Fishingboy Green lake was Great we hit it hard between the homeless and muggers around Noon!#-o :-#
The Key was a combo/cheese meat stacker:eye: winner :cheers:
We came onto a TRANSGENDER throwing rocks right during the Greenlake Bite:^o = thank God for the Polar Bears right by the bath house.
They saved us:eye:
Attachments
PolarBears2.jpg
PolarBears2.jpg (64.34 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
Pike1.jpg
Pike1.jpg (424.64 KiB) Viewed 2183 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:26 am

Polor Bears at Green Lake eh... :-k

Why not, we got Black Bears at the UW.

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:25 pm

I posted boat launch updates for Silver under "Freshwater Fishing" if you are interested in fishing that lake. Access is easier now that they made improvements and there are more to come. Good tiger lake if you are planning on fishing in the Spokane area.